Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / JigSpace - platform for creating and sharing interactive, 3D instructions [ALPHA]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2016 22:54 Edited at: 7th Apr 2016 23:08
Hey there forumites, I've been absent for about a year, and now you get to see why

I've started making a tool called JigSpace, a platform for creating and sharing interactive, 3D instructions. Check out our website to see what that means! You can also watch me pitch our company at Boost VC's demo-day -

We've been using Blender closely to manipulate/export OBJ's to test our editor, and we're at a stage where we are looking for people to start making stuff and testing out the limits of the platform. Basically, you can drag-drop an OBJ file in the editor, and drag-drop a texture on it (if it's UV mapped). From there, you can create steps, manipulate the objects in the scene, and create presentations/how-to's/etc. Once you save it and make it public, it's available online in the viewer. Check out this little jig I made to demonstrate the basics of the tool - https://jig.space/viewer?jig=504

I'm focussed on making this tool useful, simple, and fun. Those are our core tenets, and we genuinely want to make a tool that people find a big use for.

SO, if you'd like to have a look and join in the alpha, we'd really appreciate it! You can go to our super-secret editor <- here ->, create an account, and start messing around (P.S. Firefox currently breaks this build. Will be rectified soon)(P.P.S. It's alpha, so it might take a little while to load. If you just see a grey box, that's normal).

Currently we only support OBJ files with sub-objects, and no mesh skinning. That will be coming soon! My preferred process for exporting models from blender is just selecting all the objects I want to export, and using the "Selection Only" setting in the OBJ exporter. Also, the editor has a 6mb limit per OBJ, but that is just for short-term testing. We've got some jigs with triangle counts upwards of 70k no sweat, so you can throw a bit at it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts! It is alpha so it's bound to have rough edges, load a bit slow, and might fall over occasionally, but that's the idea - iterate to success! We're speeding up development, with new versions coming out almost weekly at this stage. Really interested in feedback, and more importantly, usage! So if you are so inclined, jump in

Zac/greenlig

ZacDuff.com
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 07:51
Seems like a pretty awesome project! I haven't had a chance to check it out, but it seems great. Keep up the neat stuff!
"Several pink flashing gorillas chased me from the chocolate covered mushroom stand"
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 15:53

Had a quick look, but was unable to view any jigs due to browser incompatibility in firefox, which is a bit odd since other WebGL site work.. so erm.. I dunno

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2016 02:11
@Dark - Thanks, it's been an interesting ride, big things coming soon!

@kevin - Hmmm...What version of Firefox are you using? Also, what OS?

Thanks for both checking it out!
ZacDuff.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:48:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:48:03