Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / VR programming question...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 04:26
Am I right in thinking that programming for virtual reality wouldn't be that much different? I'm guessing you would just make the camera field of view 360'? Is this right? I can't think of anything else you would need to do, but it seems too simple.
www.liambradburymusic.com - professional music for your games.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 06:03 Edited at: 2nd May 2016 06:08
Quote: "I'm guessing you would just make the camera field of view 360'?"
Eh? I would just use a normal FOV and angle the camera as the VR headset turns. Unless you are speaking of some sort of 360 wrap around screen room or such, maybe then a 360 FOV would be appropriate (but I think the overall rendering with that scheme wouldn't be accurate and distortion would appear to the viewer).

It probably is indeed very simple. The VR technology is all in the headset, really. Just a few minor adaptations at the software level.

Field of view, to clarify, merely determines how much the world the camera sees in the direction its currently pointing, not what it's capable of potentially seeing from where it is. Note that setting FOV to 360 would also increase vertical viewing angle as well as horizontal viewing angle.
"Several pink flashing gorillas chased me from the chocolate covered mushroom stand"
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 10:53
The main difference is rendering 2 camera views, set slightly apart. One view goes to one eye, and the other view to your other eye.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 11:55
Hopefully, the head tracking etc is available as standard controller input, the 2 cameras should be straightforward. There is a plugin for Oculus Rift for DBPro... developer model at least.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 19:04
Quote: "The main difference is rendering 2 camera views, set slightly apart."
Ah yes, I forgot about this part. Stereoscopic vision is quite nice!
"Several pink flashing gorillas chased me from the chocolate covered mushroom stand"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:53:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:53:03