Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / It has been far too long...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2016 00:11
How's things? They seem very different, TGC seems to have accrued much swagger and style since I've been gone! How's it going, though? It's been a while since I last visited here. Is FPSC still around? Is there still a battery of DarkBasic coders wired up to coffee dispensers? Is book still stupid?
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2016 08:53 Edited at: 15th May 2016 08:55
How are things you ask?

It's been even worse over the past couple months.

FPSC's been replaced with the more generally aimed GameGuru. New forum here as you may have noticed, and the company's gone through a general marketing/branding/website overhaul. Other than that, I don't know of much change.

Glad to see you around, by the way! Just about every forum member that was active when I joined has left, so it's nice to see them pop in every now and then.
"You're fat. Don't sugar coat it or you'll eat that too" - Dr. Phil
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2016 12:31
Welcome back.

FPSC has been superceded by a much better and more stable game-guru.
DBPro has been superceded by the cross-platform, code once, deploy everywhere AppGameKit. Functionally it still has to catch up with DBPro, but as a language it is much nicer and coding for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi and HTML5 is amazing.

The forums are still lively in the dedicated AppGameKit and GG boards.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2016 14:13 Edited at: 15th May 2016 14:14
I'm still here, mostly for The Posting Competition though. I'm now a student wired up to coffee dispensers. How are things?
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 16th May 2016 01:03
Quote: "The forums are still lively in the dedicated AppGameKit and GG boards."

Forum activity of AppGameKit and GG should drop down...to Geek Culture, so that Geek Culture becomes popular again.

Other than that, things are going great, especially my game 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia' in Unity.

Welcome back!

Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2016 14:54
Welcome back

The Gameguru product has its own forum here: https://forum.game-guru.com/, so I guess that's where a lot of the old folk may have gone. There is still quite a bit of a buzz in this forum, mostly coders posting their questions for support, their products and stuff; but there isn't much bringing in the general masses so to speak.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2016 02:42 Edited at: 4th Jun 2016 02:46
That Posts Per Day graph makes me kinda sad, but hey, if it's any salve to the wound that seems to be a trend in forums in general. Facebook and the like seem to be killing off forums. I was going to scoff at being called an "old" forumer, but then I remembered that my account is nine years old and suddenly realised the void of time I'd opened up.

Game Guru looks pretty cool though, I might check it out sometime. Good to see FPSC got reincarnated into a more stable product. Sadly my PC underwent a dramatic and total failure early last year, and I just haven't been able to justify the cost of building a new one, so I won't be using it for some time. Lost everything I had for UDK and everything else, but c'est la vie, non? Nice to hear you're doing well btw Comet! Sorry I disappeared from Skype and such, I basically ducked out of everything to avoid them crazy pony folks for some time. Currently trying to maintain a job in the oil and gas industry, which is fun, while keeping a college course in Electronics rolling and keeping myself busy with various hobbies.

Boy, I wonder if any of the old FPSC hands are still around. I'm kinda scared to check, in case they are.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2016 22:59 Edited at: 4th Jun 2016 23:06
Not much activity around here anymore. I stuck it out as long as I could, but the new forum skin killed the old familiarity for me. Eventually I was automatically logged out and decided it wasn't worth the effort to log back in. This is my first post in quite a while. I don't know too much about Game Guru but I have a distaste for it because it contributed heavily to the draining of this forum I came back here today to grab an update for AppGameKit to throw something together. I've mostly been on rcgroups.com lately
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 09:02
dbpro was the first language I learned other then html. Ive been madly in love with it for years now finally got to the point where I can make what I can imagine and its dead now. wish tgc would have built an engine around dbpo like Unreal engine and left the language alive and still had their game creator to boot! So what language should I learn now? id continue to use dpro but it will be incompatible soon with evolving technology. Html5? java? c#? c++? flash? Is ther another basic language I can learn? ive never messed much with object orientated languages they seems so foreign.
A child's dream never dies.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 15:34
Quote: "book still stupid?"

Yes. Book still stupid.

Cheers
Current fave quote : Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 16:25
@smerf - I suggest starting with python. It is a very versatile language and has LOTS of packages for making games. E.g. pygame.
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 16:38
book is stupid is attached. Enjoy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TutCity is being rebuilt

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2016 19:09
I laugh every time I read through that
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 15:50
Crikey. I was quite angry about book being stupid back in the day. Hah, and my post is coming up to it's 15 year anniversary. Awww. Cute.

Still think he was made up. A bot for our amusement. At the time I thought you were all bots for my own amusement, but over the years I've learned to accept that not all of you are...

Sigh, and to think there was once a time when we were entertained by such inbreds. That and flat brown landscapes posted on WIP threads for years on end

Cheers

Ps. Thanks to open source code, and the last 15 years, I've managed to create a MAKE_ORANGE_MONSTER function (non-compatible with anything after 2007). Yellow function to follow in 2031. Till then, well don't make anything too bright and garish
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 16:42
@Dazzag: is that you on your avatar picture? When i see it, it always reminds me of Dirk Benedict, lol!

Quote: "Ps. Thanks to open source code, and the last 15 years, I've managed to create a MAKE_ORANGE_MONSTER function (non-compatible with anything after 2007)."

Don't forget to make a brother or sister version, so that he/she isn't lonely.

Quote: "book is stupid"

I guess these days one could say 'e-book is stupid' .

Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 16:57
What's a book?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 17:37
Quote: "@Dazzag: is that you on your avatar picture? When i see it, it always reminds me of Dirk Benedict, lol!"

Or is it Doug Reynholm, boss in The IT Crowd?
TutCity is being rebuilt
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 10:39
Boy, I forgot how dumb that thread was. It was practically myth when I joined up here...
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2016 10:03
Quote: "@Dazzag: is that you on your avatar picture? When i see it, it always reminds me of Dirk Benedict, lol!"

Nope (although I have got him to sign one of his albums when me and the wife went to his concert, so that's pretty close). And yes it would have been Dirk if DB came along when I was a kid.

Quote: "Or is it Doug Reynholm, boss in The IT Crowd?"

Nope. He is a character from the scariest, genre-defining, once in a lifetime, pushing the envelope series of all time. Some said it was the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap, so you know, pretty special...

Quote: "Boy, I forgot how dumb that thread was"

Nope. Never forget. It was like a candle in the wind... Unreliable.

Cheers
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2016 20:21
Quote: "Nope. He is a character from the scariest, genre-defining, once in a lifetime, pushing the envelope series of all time. "

You also forgot...factual. We go to find out where the internet is kept, and how spilling coffee on a homeless person can make you the most hated person on the planet.
TutCity is being rebuilt
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2016 16:38
Quote: "We go to find out where the internet is kept, and how spilling coffee on a homeless person can make you the most hated person on the planet"
No we don't. Wrong department. In wrong building. Wrong everything actually. He's a doctor, not a wealthy Bruce Wayne character with damning electric sex pants...

Cheers
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2016 11:14
And I thought I'd rekindled an interest in the IT Crowd... genre-defining, once in a lifetime, pushing the envelope series of all time
TutCity is being rebuilt
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2016 14:53
Nope. You should think of the other genre-defining, once in a lifetime, pushing the envelope series of all time. The one full of terror, that was pulled for being too edgy and ahead of it's time.

Dazzag : Writer, Programmer, Producer, Artist, Award winning triangle player, plus vending machine repair guru.

As a writer I don't ask for much. I just hope I've changed the way you think about life. I'm doing all I can, but I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Ahhhh, party like it's 2004...

Cheers
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2016 15:08
Quote: "Award winning triangle player"

You are refering to the music instrument? If so, i didn't even know they awarded prizes for such talent .

Cheers!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2016 15:21
Quote: "You are refering to the music instrument?"
No; the shape.

Cheers
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2016 15:43
Quote: "No; the shape."

So, you're playing a triangle shape, not the triangle musical instrument ?
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2016 07:38
Quote: "So, you're playing a triangle shape, not the triangle musical instrument"
Playing "with". I can't play any musical instruments to save my life. Think of the old timey game where a kid pushes a wheel with a stick, but replace the wheel with a triangle.

It has all the negatives of 19th century game playing, without any of the rewards and much less dysentery. Or Sherlocks.

Cheers
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2016 14:49
Quote: "Think of the old timey game where a kid pushes a wheel with a stick, but replace the wheel with a triangle. "

Haaaaahahhaaahaaaaaaaaa! I can imagine, lol!
Did the triangle move ?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2016 20:21 Edited at: 21st Jun 2016 20:22
Oh yes, it was in the news recently...

TutCity is being rebuilt

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2016 04:57
Quote: "Oh yes, it was in the news recently..."

!!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2016 07:16
Nice... Even looks like me. Suprisingly my house looks similar too. Door, windows, the lot. But no chimney...

Plus yes, you do have to have a fire extinguisher on hand, as triangles cause a lot of friction once they start rolling. Plus the international requirements that they have to be doused in petrol first doesn't help things.

Cheers
Scanner Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
doubting Thomas wrote: "id continue to use dpro but it will be incompatible soon with evolving technology. "

Well unless Microsoft releases some kind of biomechanical, mind vision emitting cybernetic creature how would the evolution of said technology be debilitating to dark basic pro? there's always emulators???
Love is the destiny of mankind as it was in the beginning as it will be for all time.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2016 12:33
Quote: "Think of the old timey game where a kid pushes a wheel with a stick"

Ohhh, good old wheel stick - I actually have a 100 year old version made of iron, was made specially for my granddad when he was very young... it's all 1 piece, like a big loop, with a link attached to a stick - the idea being you get the thing rolling and try and keep it balanced while running alongside it. It makes an awesome racket, like Pyramid Head from silent hill, dragging his sword along the ground.
The code is dark and full of errors
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2016 13:18
Bang goes my Hippocratic oath!
JigSpace

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 17:09:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 17:09:39