Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Raspberry Pi / DIY Coin-op Mechanism

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2016 16:50
Any tried building their own arcade machine? I think AppGameKit on Pi represents an amazing oportunity to create retro arcade machines, with real buttons and even coin-op slots! Found a little guide on how to make a coin op slot here: http://www.underthepier.com/01_howtocoinmech.htm

I can see my garage turning into a mini arcade! (I can also see my Mrs telling me otherwise!) Haha.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2016 11:28
I have been buying parts from ArcadeWorld.com. They have coin-op slots, buttons, joysticks, the works.

I'm not working on coin-op at the moment, although I am now tempted, it would be a good addition to my project. I'm happy to share any of the things I do with the forum.

My to-do list is currently:

1. 4 Buttons for control. I am making a 4-player game where the only control is a button press. I have tested the Pi and AppGameKit with some mini PCB buttons, and it works perfectly. I have soldered the wires to the buttons ready to attach to the PCB.
2. LED button lights. The buttons have LEDs. I will trigger these from AppGameKit so that they respond to the action in the game. Again, I have tested AppGameKit and some LEDs on a bread board and it worked well. For the button LEDs I need to use Diodes. The Pi uses 3.3 Volt signals and low current, the LEDs run from a 12 Volt supply and need more current than the Pi can supply.
3. Pull handle. I want to start the game with a one-arm bandit style lever. I have a tilt switch to attach to the lever to simulate this.

So far, 9 input/outputs. So I have room for more functionality. I would also like to use an LED strip light for visual effects. This will need some more thought, because with a basic set up you can only have the RGB channels on or off. I could send a modulated signal, but it would also need smoothing to prevent flicker. More research needed!

Finally, as Spectre pointed out, you need one more thing. A very understanding family!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2016 14:35 Edited at: 17th May 2016 15:04
I just picked up an 8 channel relay board (off ebay - China - £4.45) to allow for some higher voltage fun. It only took 4 days to arrive! Time to do some expirementing

Wow! Coin mech from arcadeworlduk.com is only around £20! Nice. I like the look of the flat-pack cabinets on there too.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2016 22:24
Quote: "Finally, as Spectre pointed out, you need one more thing. A very understanding family!"

Still not had the go ahead yet to build mine!
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2016 08:54
Anyone who doesn't want an arcade machine in their life, simply doesn't know they want it yet

I plan to get another PI and make a mini console, I have a converted iCade already - with an awesome Bubble Bobble theme, lit marque, will post a picture of my one sometime.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=icade&tbm=isch&imgil=NuC9doT4k_edmM%253A%253ButZTiGZcaHjmeM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ionaudio.com%25252Fproducts%25252Fdetails%25252Ficade&source=iu&pf=m&fir=NuC9doT4k_edmM%253A%252CutZTiGZcaHjmeM%252C_&usg=__c8rZp2Ft-NjThIcpgJbxIiFONoY%3D&biw=1358&bih=897&ved=0ahUKEwjey8j_uZrNAhVD6xoKHQBmARgQyjcIOw&ei=6R5ZV56zLcPWa4DMhcAB#imgrc=NuC9doT4k_edmM%3A

Next one will be bigger, 2 player bar top with a spinner I think... Maybe that would be easier to convince people of it's worthiness - it could go on a desktop and easily moved. Full size cabinets need a lot of space and are far from mobile, I can understand why the wife wouldn't want that... just remember that an arcade cabinet can be the size of a car, or as small as you like, especially with a Pi.
The code is dark and full of errors
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 13:03
Ive been doing some research ito building an arcade cabinet as well, and been looking at arcadeworlduk.com.

i too, am not allowed a full sized cabinet, lol. although im sure once i have built my bar top mini arcade machine, that the missus will want a full sized one, when she sees how much fun it will be ( at least i hope so, anyway )

I have an old pc laying about that im going to use.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2016 08:55
Remembered to upload a pic of my iCade mod...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2016 00:19 Edited at: 14th Aug 2016 00:20
I loved bubble bobble!

I used to have one of these mini arcades when I was a kid. Not sure whatever happened to it.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2016 06:29 Edited at: 17th Aug 2016 06:30
Loved? - Bub and Bob are on their way over to re-establish your commitment... you never stop loving Bubble Bobble

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:30:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:30:54