Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My life officially sucks

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 16:53
In the past 2 weeks I've had the worst luck ever. Last summer, my jaguar went caput . It's been sitting in my driveway since. That left me to drive my '73 duster to work every day, which at roughly 4mph is not fun. Luckily, I was placed on orders for a few months and managed to quickly get enough money saved to buy a decent car really cheap, chrysler 300m. I only hit 100k miles on it this spring. Ok, fast forward to about 10 days ago.

My cat got worms and leaked his smelly butt all over my house. I'm talking on the bed, the laptop, the walls! At the same time, I'm getting a call from my friend who I let borrow my car so she could drive her kids to her mothers. It's smoking real bad she said. I tell my brother to deal with the cat and I'll handle the car. The car had caught fire and melted off all the vacuum hoses, and melted a hole in the side of the coolant tank and intake manifold plenum. I got it towed home and spent roughly $75 from the junkyard for replacement parts. (which was good considering that intake is $700 new) I start it up, car is making a god awful noise. It threw a rod through the oil pan. Car is toast, done with, junk!

Ok, so far that's just shitty luck. Back to driving my duster until I figure out what to do. I got a guy who may be willing to take the chrysler as payment if he can get my jaguar running. So tuesday night, my Duster caught fire. No, seriously it did. Due to a poor wiring design from the 70s, the ammeter in the dash shorted out the main power lead, which since that wire is bundled up with everything else under the dash melted everything together! I spent most of yesterday ripping out the dash and pulling apart burnt wires and replacing them. I bypassed the stupid ammeter gauge altogether.

In the meantime, all the overtime I've been working lately basically only makes up for the insane amount of gas I use to get to work. Now, normally I only work three days a week (long days), but last week when this happened I just happened to have drill that weekend which means even more driving. In the rain. That car is scary in the rain, especially with only one wiper blade.

On the plus side, since I had the dash ripped apart, I fixed my wiper blades.

Oh yea, and my uncle died of stroke, just like my dad at the same age years ago. That's 3 out of 4 that had strokes in my family before 60. Basically telling me I probably have less than 20 years to live.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 17:52
Your life does suck! What caused it to throw a rod? Oil pump not working or something? Perhaps the awful noise was a disintegrating oil pump.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 18:12
When I feel like my life sucks, I write. I will try to turn my life into a parody and bring it to paper. Months later you will return and read it and you'll laugh. It's also a good channel to vent on.
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 00:31
Just seems like the harder I try the more stuff pushing me back.

I think what happened was the oil pressure sensor failed and I lost oil in the engine. Since I wasn't the one driving it at the time, I can't say if there was any warning or not.

Good news is, I got my Duster working. Ripped out the front seat so I had room to work and pulled out the entire wiring harness and starting pulling things apart. Eventually, I cut too many burnt wires out and lost track to the ones I was tracing and had to go get a diagram of the car, which fortunately I already had. I bypassed the ammeter which appeared to be the culprit in the first place.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 01:10
bad run of luck phaelax hope it get better man. don't think ive ever had so much go wrong at one time. Might think about being extra health conscious with stroke history. I watch my sugar intake very carefully lots of diabetes in family and lots of greens
A child's dream never dies.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 04:23
My cat got worms and leaked his smelly butt all over my house.
My cat got worms and leaked his smelly butt all over my house.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 10:46
When I feel life's bad - and it hasn't been as bad as it is for you atm, I'm very sorry to hear about your...everything - I tend to curl up in a ball and have existential crises.

I'm probably not good at advice.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 13:53
Sorry to hear about your problems, Phaelax. Loosing someone close is always a tragedy.
I guess we all have our periods of bad luck. Just don't give up, and be thankful for all the good things you still have in your life.
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2016 12:50
Keep your chin up Phaelax. These things are sent to test us.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 23:24
This test seems to be lasting nearly a decade! I got a guy coming today to pickup my jag and see if he can fix it. Meanwhile, anyone wanna buy a 300m? Runs great, just needs engine!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2016 02:22
Quote: "Runs great, just needs engine!"
Lol, this statement gave me a good chuckle.

"The wheels turn just fine! The suspension compresses! Even the differential works! Ready to drive, spare a minor issue."
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2016 08:18
If problems were very polite and waited their turn they wouldn't be problems. The only one I'd be concerned about is the stroke, it's not inevitable and there are many things you can do to reduce your risk, and considering your family history that is probably a wise thing to look into.

Try to find the positives. For a start, with all the car trouble you got through it and nobody died. Thankfully you have another car you can use.

When things fall apart it is often a great opportunity to start again and/or do something you had been putting off while you were too busy maintaining everything.
Formerly OBese87.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 26th Jul 2016 21:30
Well you could always take your own advice.

The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2016 16:24
Oh no I'm sooooo offended. Let me report every post you do while I troll.....

Besides, I'm too poor to afford the bullets. I'd have to use a rope.

PAGAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Not too bad.... My recent endeavors have been shitty as well among which, barley avoiding a 4 year prison sentence, (well thats good news actually) getting fired from a job AND screwed out of my paycheck all because i didnt meet the profit quota after less than a month (they promised 2 months) and thats after i payed $300 and 3 weeks for the job training (came with a certificate) I also invested 100m of my personal cable to fill an order that the company dosent do, (i took the job because i have experience in wiring office networks) i got NOTHING out of it! Also on top of everything my old DBP forum account is unacessable and i cant restore the password because hotmail no longer exists. Now i lost all the DBP forum cred ive been accumulating since 2006
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 07:43
Quote: "Not too bad.... My recent endeavors have been shitty as well among which, barley avoiding a 4 year prison sentence, (well thats good news actually) getting fired from a job AND screwed out of my paycheck all because i didnt meet the profit quota after less than a month (they promised 2 months) and thats after i payed $300 and 3 weeks for the job training (came with a certificate) I also invested 100m of my personal cable to fill an order that the company dosent do, (i took the job because i have experience in wiring office networks) i got NOTHING out of it! Also on top of everything my old DBP forum account is unacessable and i cant restore the password because hotmail no longer exists. Now i lost all the DBP forum cred ive been accumulating since 2006
"

Oh wait, there we go, Microsoft somehow restored my old hotmail, altho all my old mail is gone
Your signature has been erased by a mod

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 13:09:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 13:09:35