Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Just started and the tutorial already confused me

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone. I was set on learning c++ to slap a game together for personal enjoyment, then I stumbled accross dark basic. . . I programed in basic before a long time ago for buisness reasons on the ole apple IIE, but never thought id be making a game. Now I went through the tutorial and was doing well right up to the point where im supposed to make graphix. Now I find it hard to believe that 3d shootemup games and all are made pixle by pixle line by line. Maybey im still stuck in the dark ages or maybey 6 1/2 years in the army has warped my mind beyond comprehending anything. Could anyone please clarify this for me and maybey let me know if there is a better tutorial online somewhere that might better explain things for me and lays down stuff a little easier???? thanks for any help
Neil19533
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 02:26
6 and a half years in the army!!!! your mental but to the point graphics can be made in a number of programs such as paint(included with windows), fireworks, paint shop pro. like me i used to program in basic. quite easy to get around darkbasic from knowing a little about basic. to load a picture in db you can just put in the code load image "image name.bmp",picnumber
sprite image anynumber,position x onthe screen,position y,picnumber
do
loop
the load image command will load the image the sprite command will past it at the screens x and y cordinants
th do and loop commad make a loop untill you press escape key so it dosent go of soon as you load the pictures if it did go off it would be to quick for you to see

I wonder where that fish did go, a fish, a fish, a fish, O
jazzman
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh ok so you can use 3rd party programs thats alot of sweat and time off the brow heh. BUT, I can see how you can do 2d graphics with paint and paint shop pro but what about 3d landscaping and sprites whats a good one for those?
Neil19533
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 03:00
well sprites are 2d images that are called sprite i dont see y the should just be called images so these can be done in paint or paint shop pro. to make them sprites you make a sprite number,the xposition,the y position,the image number the x and y position are like on a graph except it is upsidedown

but 3d landscapes and buildings or other 3d images will have to be done in 3d programs such as cartography shop, 3d canvas pro, but you have to pay for those so i would recomend milk shape click on the link below to go to there site and the one below that to directly download it
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/files/ms3d170.zip

I wonder where that fish did go, a fish, a fish, a fish, O

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 12:06:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 12:06:05