Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / 2016 Presidential Inauguration Speech

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 10:15 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2016 09:47
Hello all. Not expecting my statements to be taken seriously (or even read by many), I wrote my first speech haphazardly, out of ignorance, and ended up alienating what is in fact a thriving component of this wonderful forum, including the volunteers who donate their time every day to keep the forum looking great. For this I genuinely apologize, and I wish to revoke my previous statements. Properly informed, I have written a new speech thingy:

A mere single vote made the difference between my party or TheComet's winning the election; granted, this single vote was one of only seven total. I don't know what to make of this, other than a goal to have more total votes next election. Why do the elections even matter, you might ask? Right now, they almost don't. The elections, and the forum presidents elected thereby, have mainly been a Geek Culture thing as of late. When I ran to become president of this forum, my near sighted view (born of ignorance) was that this forum was fading, stale, and lacking communication -- I was only looking at the Geek Culture board. I've since been enlightened as to the pleasing truth that, in fact, the AppGameKit portion of this forum thrives even today. Because this forum's main focus and purpose right now is to support the AppGameKit user base, I want to ensure the positions of forum president and vice president have a positive effect on this forum's focus on and servitude toward the AppGameKit user base, not just a passive presence on the Geek Culture board.

Despite a strong love for these forums, I personally maintain little interest in programming these days, as well as no knowledge of AppGameKit, so I intend to find and appoint an AGK-knowledgeable individual to focus on propagating this new role of the forum presidency.

Geek Culture is and has been a troublesome board for these forums. While a few users appreciate its value as a place for free and random conversation, Geek Culture's overall effect on this forum needs to be corrected. As a catch-all bin, it's been a real trick to keep properly moderated. If this forum had a battlefield, Geek Culture would be it. It's been pretty calm lately, but it's seen more than a few users banned and threads locked. Activity on Geek Culture is typically highest before someone's about to get banned; this surely isn't a good sign. I intend to restore Geek Culture's position as a fun board, direct its aim and focus toward the AppGameKit user base, and maintain an impossibly peaceful atmosphere about it. I don't know exactly how this will be done, but I intend to work closely with the mod team to see what can be done. It may involve closing useless threads, namely the Posting Competition, which seems to attract drama and repel constructive conversations.

If curious, you may read the text of my poorly and ignorantly thought out, generally crappy previous speech here:
Quote: "Hello all! By an incredibly large 25% vote margin, you, the people of this forum, have collectively called myself and The Slayer to make the forums great again. We're here to answer your call, and will be over the next year.

As new forum president, I will use my special powers (ie the ability to post, edit my posts, read other posts, etc) to make these forums great again. Among the various goals on my agenda, I aim to increase forum activity by at least 10% by the time my presidency is over. I additionally aim to increase the base of high activity users by 5 to 10. These numbers may seem small, but considering the forum's current state, they seem reasonable and are a step in the right direction. I also intend to rekindle an active relationship between the mod team, TGC, and the everyday users of this forum. I intend to advance the role of the presidential team on this forum, which has as late been subtle.

This forum may be dwindling at a fast rate, and its primary intent may be to serve an obsolete set of products, but I carry a personal passion for this forum and wish to see it thrive again. This place thrived 6 years ago when I joined, but now it's a ghost town. It honestly makes me pretty sad. Sounds mushy, but it's genuinely true. It is my every intent to see this place well off again. I think The Slayer will be an excellent partner in attaining my goal, too!

Let's make the forums great again!"
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 17:55
gay

Made Mexico build you a wall yet?
My cat got worms and leaked his smelly butt all over my house.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 18:47
Soon. Very soon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 20:13 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2016 20:13
How about accusing the mods of being mexican and therefore not able to do their job?
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 22:03
Quote: "considering the forum's current state"

Quote: "This forum may be dwindling at a fast rate, and its primary intent may be to serve an obsolete set of products"

Quote: "now it's a ghost town"

My honest opinion...not a great start.
The AppGameKit boards have 76 threads that have been posted to in the last week, multiple times. New AppGameKit users join every week.
You can still post on the M$ forums about Office 2003, but there are many thousands more posts about Office365.
Geek Culture is quiet, yes. But look at the last 1,000 or so posts and it makes sense. The active users of the products that the forums are here to support are generally too busy writing code and helping each other with their challenges to frequent the GC threads.

I admire your desire to make the forums a good place to be, but please not by alienating the owners, the mods and everyone here on day one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 23:42 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2016 09:53
Quote: "The AppGameKit boards have 76 threads that have been posted to in the last week, multiple times. New AppGameKit users join every week."
Fantastic! I actually didn't know that, so that's pleasing to hear.

I'll admit to my statement being a bit nearsighted, but my statement was primarily made with regards to Geek Culture and DBPro, not AGK. Additionally, have a look at the graph I made a few months ago:

That's what I talk about when I mention a thriving forum 6 years ago that no longer exists. EDIT I now see that some parts of this forum, that parts that matter, do still thrive.

Quote: "but please not by alienating the owners, the mods and everyone here on day one."
Point taken! Thanks for opening my eyes.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 08:02 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2016 08:06
I'm actually glad posts are down in the Geek board. If you just take a moment to check out the newer product boards you'll realize it's very much active, with many many new projects, , threads and my favorite part..new and eager to learn users! Over the years being a mod has gone from spending 90% of my time locking threads in Geek culture and banning wild ones to recent, spending 90% of my time helping new coders while the remainder showcasing my own projects and deleting flowers.com accounts.

Quote: "
I also intend to rekindle an active relationship between the mod team, TGC, and the everyday users of this forum.
"

This statement makes no sense to me..the mods and TGC team are very much active with users, on a daily almost hourly bases.
My workstation was destroyed in a fire, help me out and get free media for AppGameKit and Game Guru: https://www.gofundme.com/bfpm0g
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 08:32 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2016 09:58
Quote: "This statement makes no sense to me..the mods and TGC team are very much active with users, on a daily almost hourly bases."
Understandable. Regretfully, I made all of my statements primarily with regard to Geek Culture. I haven't been to the AppGameKit board in a while, so I unfortunately made the statement out of ignorance.

EDIT I've rewritten my speech. I think it much better reflects the state and needs of the forum! Again, I truly apologize for my ignorance to the non Geek Culture parts of this forum, anyone would be right to be offended, especially the mods who take time each day to make the AppGameKit boards look great, as well as any user who takes time to help other users.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 12:56
If it is geek culture that needs to be saved, I have a mantra "if activity is on the decline, the most effective way to increase activity is simply by doing it". I will qualify it, I run a roleplaying group on a game I play, I have done for about 3 years now, about 2 years ago the server we were on was on the decline, the community as a whole was shrinking and roleplay activity was decreasing and people were worried about the roleplay community, quite a few different things were done. The bit I ended up involved in was a council of roleplay leaders, which kind of fell flat. Everybody was talking about how to save the community and complaining about x,y and z. I was worried about my group too, so instead of focusing on how to save the roleplay community on the server, it was quite simple on how to save it. By roleplaying we remained very active. It was that simple. We didn't need councils and various action plans and an open discussion on how to save it, we just needed to do it. Sadly, not everybody followed in the same example.

Applied here, if you want to save Geek Culture, make new and interesting posts. It's Geek Culture, we're all Geeks, I am sure we can bring up geeky content to increase activity and not have it be a cesspool either.

Fudge it, I'll create a thread about video game bosses. No use lecturing and not taking my own advice.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 13:30
Quote: "I'm actually glad posts are down in the Geek board."

Although i can understand your point of view, i also disagree. Applauding the fact that there's less activity in the Geek Boards, just because some were acting against the AUP is not helping the community, or those who are acting (and posting) normal stuff. Not that we always write 'normal' stuff, but i mean things that aren't against the AUP.

It's often like that. The good ones are punished because of the bad behaviour of others.

But, i do understand your point too, JLMoondog. Being a Mod, you have to clean up the trash, sort of speak. And, we love you guys (the Mods) for it.
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 14:35
Quote: "Point taken! Thanks for opening my eyes."

Glad you took it in the spirit that it was meant
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2016 10:23 Edited at: 27th Jul 2016 10:24
Congratulations to the new Forum President and Vice-President!!!

Got a new board member

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2016 17:38
Thanks, Morcilla! But...I must admit that it saddens me to see that you didn't vote for us after you were promoted to 'Secretary of Humorous Maintenance' by us.
Why, man? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 27th Jul 2016 22:00
Do you guys get your badges some time or do we just take your word for it?
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2016 23:16
Quote: "Do you guys get your badges some time or do we just take your word for it?"

Looks like we just did! \m/
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2016 09:09
Quote: "Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? "

Lol, don't take it so badly, I don't sell my vote so easily
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2016 09:50
Heh! How dare you not accept our bribe! You best be glad we won anyway, kind sir. On that note, I also officially appoint you as Vice President of Humorous Vibe Maintenance, or VP-Humor for short.

The Slayer, I shall consider you Senior Vice President. You shall directly preside over these regular, non senior VPs that I shall begin appointing over the times near to come!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2016 13:44
Quote: "
Lol, don't take it so badly, I don't sell my vote so easily "

Well, at least you didn't sell it to the competition.

Quote: "On that note, I also officially appoint you as Vice President of Humorous Vibe Maintenance, or VP-Humor for short."

Yes, and you'd better make sure you keep these forums fun and interesting, or...or we shall confiscate ALL of your spaceships and keep you grounded for a decade!

Quote: "The Slayer, I shall consider you Senior Vice President. You shall directly preside over these regular, non senior VPs that I shall begin appointing over the times near to come!"

Consider it done, Mr. President!

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 12:38
Quote: "On that note, I also officially appoint you as Vice President of Humorous Vibe Maintenance, or VP-Humor for short."

Quote: "Yes, and you'd better make sure you keep these forums fun and interesting, or...or we shall confiscate ALL of your spaceships and keep you grounded for a decade! "

Oh well lol where is my badge then hehe
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 14:54
Quote: "Oh well lol where is my badge then hehe "

Good point, lol! I don't think there are badges for such Forum jobs. Unless we create 'em ourselves of course .
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 19:16
We could do that! I wonder if the site admins would be down with that. If nothing else, you could wear your badge in your signature.
OUT with the ugly campaign signature and IN with some super fancy text.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 13:06
Lol, don't worry, I'm not completely sure to become the forum official joker

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:59:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:59:29