Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Please Recommend Old School Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't piece together my computer to compose games, but I started lamenting the absence of free roam adventure puzzle games like N64's Banjo Kazooie. I've also played Mike Oldfield's Music VRs for hours for the AMSR. My computer was economically built for making 2D art and music: 2.93 Intel quad, 6 GB mem, 256 MB graphics card, Win 7 Pro 64. If you know of a program that will let me compose old school free roam games, please let me know.

I like the possibilities in FPSC, but I'm having multiple issues creating content for it.

I got Game Guru in a Humble Bundle, but it runs very slowly on my system.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2016 05:50
Are you looking for drag-and-drop or something more programming oriented? I'd say check out AppGameKit II, the board section you're posting in. Or try out Darkbasic Pro, it's now free and open source and it's very powerful. You can find a huge amount of add-ons, plugins, code snippets and even editors for building amazing adventure games like what you want to make, that will export to be used with DBP.

I'm moving this thread to general chat since it doesn't specifically pertain to AGKII.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2016 13:34
I second the AGK2 recommendation. You could stick to sprites and 2D and make a game like Terraria, or mix 2D and 3D and make something like Don't Starve - games that can be based on randomly generated worlds.

Most simpler game creators won't stretch to an open world game, they usually have a map and usually not big enough to warrant exploration. At least with AGK2 you can generate the world randomly, and concentrate on things like 2D artwork and animation. I mean, technically Don't Starve isn't impressive, no reason why AppGameKit couldn't do that - same goes for Stardew Valley. Really the biggest hurdle in making a 2D game look good, is getting good looking media in the first place.
The code is dark and full of errors
androidlove
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2016 23:27 Edited at: 17th Aug 2016 23:32
Sorry it took me so long to reply. This wild hair I got to finally produce the game that is literally of my dreams has been a frustrating experience. I can't get my DirectX exports from Blender or Bryce to play nice in FSPCC.

I'm undiagnosed, but heavy programming bores me to the point that I cannot concentrate. I don't mind scripting, as I used to program a little in BASIC, but a WYSIWYG would be nice. FPSCC would be good if I could import my models. I'd really like to have something that can make programs visually similar to Mike Oldfield's Music VR games .

"Modelworks was used to create the 3D models and Newlook is the game engine, level editor and music sequencer used to create the final game. Both software packages were written by Colin Dooley with Newlook being created specifically for the Music VR project."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tres_Lunas_(video_game)

I have no interest in 2D games or random worlds. I'm looking to make a 3D free roam puzzle adventure.
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2016 21:15
Bark basic v6 is as old school as i can think of.
That or a quake2 engine. A lot of games back in the day used quake2
Your signature has been erased by a mod
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2016 23:32
Quote: "Bark basic v6"
Bark basic??? Is it for dogs? Or is it made from tree bark? Tehehe...

As for an old school engine to recommend, I'd say any Briggs & Stratton single cylinder 4 stroke lawnmower/tiller engine would be a good choice. I rebuilt one made in 1972, and it runs like a charm!
OUT with the ugly campaign signature and IN with some super fancy text.
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2016 00:37
Quote: "Bark basic??? Is it for dogs? Or is it made from tree bark? Tehehe...

As for an old school engine to recommend, I'd say any Briggs & Stratton single cylinder 4 stroke lawnmower/tiller engine would be a good choice. I rebuilt one made in 1972, and it runs like a charm!"

Sorry i meant "Dark basic v6" (that gave me a good laugh tho )

Also yes, thats a good engine
Your signature has been erased by a mod
androidlove
Years of Service
User Offline
JLMoondog aready mentioned Dark Basic. I talked about that in my second post.

PAGAN_old, MQuake II looks like it has potential for a free roam adventure puzzle game, and my specs are more than enough. Thank you. I will frustrate myself with it this evening.

So, no old timers know what happened to Colin Dooley and his software? I found this fun information... http://tubular.net/discography/MusicVR.shtml

androidlove
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2016 05:56 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2016 13:38
Ah, I need Quake II to run MQuake. I have to compile Quake II. Looks like I need to find a compiler. Wow, this is a lot to go through again. I'm mostly into the creative stuff. Math got boring to me after advanced calculus. I guess I'm wasting everyone's time here. So, where do the game designers/artists/composers hang out? Also, is there an old game engine that's not about FPS? I have no idea what so many people see in shooting. I also get the feeling no one here has played Mike Oldfield's Music VR. I figured it was required reading due to its groundbreaking.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2016 20:02
What about OHRRPGCE? A mouthful I know. http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Main_Page

I used to use this waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, like, when I was new to the whole game making malarkey and didn't have money. I remember loving it. It is a pretty old school RPG maker, I think I remember finding a Zelda clone made in it. It's also free. It was released back in 1997.

Or if you're looking at adventure games, one of my favourite indie games out there, Primordia was made using Adventure Game Studio.

If you're looking to spend money, if you can get your hands on the original The Games Factory or Multimedia Fusion, though I am sure the latest versions suffice, I've just not used them. I had the original TGC and that only cost £20 back then.

They're a couple of 2 options. The original Dark Basic was mentioned, but is a good 2D and 3D tool for your old school needs and was designed to work on some pretty old systems. There's some pretty sweet things people have done with Dark Basic Classic, for example Soul Hunter.
androidlove
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2016 20:59 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2016 21:01
I'm not sure why I'm being told about Dark Basic again. I've already talked about that a couple of times. I'm not sure why 2D engines are being suggested again. I've already mentioned that I'm trying to get close to Mike Oldfield's Music VR, that I'm not interested in 2D, and that I'm wanting to make a 3D free roam game. I can only assume this is a joke that gets played on noobs. Man....does the joke end at some point? Should I take the hint and just go away?
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2016 23:41
I skimmed most of the posts to see what was suggested and backed DBC as an option for both 2D and 3D. Sooo...no? I picked out all old school engines I know are still around that I have experience using.

I am not sure there is something that meets your requirements then. At least in those old school days, there were plenty of 2D tools that didn't require coding and that's what I started with, but 3D was rather lacking and I tried to search high and low. It was how I ended up with Dark Basic in the first place, I wanted the same thing as you back in...2002 or 2003 (something more artist friendly, less code intensive). I ended up biting the bullet back then, because I couldn't find anything that matched my exact criteria.

If you can't find exactly what you're looking for, it would become a question of what you're willing to compromise. Unity3D might be an option in that there are libraries for it that remove coding out of the equation (like PlayMaker), but the downside would be that it is using a modern graphics engine, but you might be able to recreate the old school graphics effect? You don't have to use their fancy shaders and stuff.

PlayMaker with Unity. I believe there's a free version, to see if it's what you're looking for.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2016 18:52
Androidlove, I'm not sure what you expect us to suggest on the DBPro and AppGameKit forum! - I'm not sure why AppGameKit isn't an option for you... and I'm not sure why it has to be old school, as in it won't run on most PC's, like Quake2. It's certainly not a joke we play on noobs, this is a community with experience with these 2 languages and a place where you'd get help if you need it - it's what we do!
The code is dark and full of errors
androidlove
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2016 03:57 Edited at: 27th Aug 2016 05:21
Sorry, I thought I was posting to a general game creator's forum. I was talking to someone about FPSCC and related programs on this forum. I'd like an old school engine because I personally like the style. I loved working with Crystal TOPAS in the eighties. I just didn't get along with my peers, who were in the fast lane. I'm not a modern gamer, so I don't have a modern graphics card. New games just don't appeal to me in style and content. That's why I want to make a game for me. I understand no one else would be interested in it. I wouldn't mind already knowing the story line. I just want to see on a screen the environments that are in my head. AppGameKit is a lot of money for something I'm doing just to see if I can do it. I figured their would be more old stuff gone freeware. I'll try the AppGameKit demo and see where that goes.

I felt my posts were being ignored, as the responses didn't reflect my criteria. I didn't think bright people wouldn't understand me. I guess my posts just got skimmed. I also thought I was talking to some seasoned game makers who had been through all the changes over the decades. I was hoping someone knew what happened to Colin Dooley and his software or had worked with him. I'm definitely in the wrong place. Is there a forum where the old folks hang out?
androidlove
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL, I have AppGameKit already. I got it in a game making Humble Bundle a while back. It's one of those programs that doesn't show up in my Steam library. I donate assuming I'll have time to use the stuff I get from Humble Bundle someday and then forget about it. This is going to be a very steep learning curve, as my ENFP mind might as well be classified as handicapped.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:53:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:53:01