Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / FPSC User and Minor Forum Member Wanting to Come Back - "I have Several Questions!"

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Elite: Dangerous
Posted: 14th Sep 2016 23:11
Hi all,

A bit about me: I remember when I was in high school I had just finished my first CS course with one of the highest grades in that class (if not the highest). I wanted to harness my new-found love of programming and expand upon it but wasn't sure how. That summer my mom pointed me to a summer boot camp/crash course in video game design being held by a local community college. In a heartbeat I wanted to go, and my parents signed me up. The software being used by the community college? FPS Creator! So began my lengthy high school love affair with game "development" - started many projects and ideas, did a lot of screwing around, no serious fruition to my efforts, except for a one-level game I made for my little sister (who at the time really liked FPS games for some reason). I have fond memories of these forums... I was a very shy guy who didn't like to inject himself into other people's discussions and was very socially awkward. These forums became the place where I budded a bit socially. I remember doing a lot of research on how to create 3D art and then starting a thread in FPSC Models asking some questions for clarification and... people responded! Someone had heard my question and had offered a helpful response! (user Anayar? was extremely helpful to me, sadly he left the forums due to life issues IIRC). Looking back, I can only imagine how much I sounded like a child. But I learned some important lessons in online posting etiquette, and I'm very grateful to have learned that in such a forgiving forum as TGC's.

But enough about me (I've said too much already!) - I can see FPSC has gone open-source, which I think was an excellent move to allow it to continue living on in some strange state, even if it's on life support. I'm eager to try it a bit and maybe do a short project in the vein of something like Lewis' Alpha Project (which when I was in high school I thought was an amazing, AAA-quality game - I should mention I was not allowed to "play" games at this point, only "create" games. Yeah...). But I'm wondering - while I still have all the model packs in my product list, and am happy to see many of mine and even more go up for free as a part of being open source, I have to ask: does anyone remember the TGC Store app that we could download to our computers and purchase art (sounds, 3D models, etc.), or sell them if we were a content creator? I was looking through my Order's list and found some receipts for "TGC Points", which now I remember served as the currency for the desktop app in-game purchases, so it's not a figment of my imagination. But I can't find it. I purchased some models off of it that I really want "back" as a part of my project idea, but I have no clue how to get a hold of these. They might be buried some where on a back-up drive, but knowing me I wouldn't be surprised if they got missed

Glad to see some people still hang around here! Still sad this place is so dead now, but perhaps it's for the best

[Attached meme vaguely relevant]

~Captain Coder

PS: I have a Calculus III exam early tomorrow morning that I'm not ready for, wish me luck!
Former avid rookie game developer who now just studies in college, plays games, dreams about making his dream game, and derps really hard.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2016 10:31 Edited at: 16th Sep 2016 17:31
Hey Captain! I remember you very well! That very religious american guy

Quote: "user Anayar?"

EDIT: Grave mistake, it was not anayar who has passed away, it was AAAgreen. Sorry about that!

Quote: "the TGC Store app that we could download to our computers and purchase art (sounds, 3D models, etc.), or sell them if we were a content creator?"

It is now the game guru store which is expanding into other engines as well. Note that I have a store page there as well You can contact TGC but I am pretty sure your old points are no longer useful.

Best luck on your exam!

-Wolf
\"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!\" - Rick Bamber

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:27:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:27:05