Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Need to know how to make a windowed program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok Im familiar with the tutorials but. . .decided to jump in and start plugging away at a game to start woodsheding the basic game coding into my head. . .I'm gonna keep my game real simple for 2 reasons. . . 1)I suck at graphics. 2)I have prety much already designed the whole game from start to finished board game style that uses Excel to calculate formulas. . .Its a real big game with lots of complex formulas designed to augment a highschool history class adding an element of competition and fun to learning. Its based on galactic conquest. Im not going to get real heavy into the details cuz I dont need help on that. What I do need is a thread or a tutorial on how to make a program that runs in a window (not necisarily a microsoft {sorry i said the M word} but somthing thats simple that a teacher or end user can just plug info into. I did a search on the forums and found none. The second I need help on (which i also searched for) is a thread or tutorial that clarifies how programs can multi task. I totaly understand all the simple one task tutorials ive been through but im not sure i totaly understand how the program runs 3 different functions or classes at the same time looping to the bigining skipping the if else statement promts the user to enter 20 different things then calculates them all into one simple easy turn for the end user. . . any help or critisizim would be much appriciated.

Jazzman
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 13:54
lol, you kind of lost me there at the end. Here's a thread on Multithreading posted not too long ago, it might have some answers: http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=21326&b=1

As for a windowed application, try this command:

Try that, and tell me if that's what you wanted.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 17:41
Dbpro or classic can't multi task (thread?). You program is executed one line at a time.
If you had this

do
function1()
function2()
function3()
loop

if would start by running the code in function1 until it finished, then run the code in function2 until it finished, then run the code in function3 until it finished. It would get to the loop command and jump back to the do command and start again.

Using the different types of loops and if/then statments you can control the program flow.

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 19:01
DB is a procedural language. There are no threads.

Here's a link to a dll that lets you use a bitmap to define the shape of your window. You can make your window a circle instead of a square if you want.

http://www.dannywartnaby.co.uk/rgt/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=170

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:50:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:50:28