Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / An Important Message

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 08:48 Edited at: 12th Nov 2016 08:56
I never thought I'd make this post. Over the past few months, my own personal posting to and involvement with this forum has declined greatly. The same applies for most other active Geek Culture forum members. When I ran to become Forum President, I ran with Geek Culture in mind, and Geek Culture only. It's really the only part of this forum I genuinely care about, and save a few sporadic posts, it's dead. Additionally, I've done nothing as Forum President. Not that I've had the power to; the point remains regardless. I also disagree with this forum's general moderation policies, especially regarding the recent bannings of two key forum members (including our previous Forum President) by one power hungry moderator, against whom no apparent action was taken. I've lost my desire to fight for the improvement of this forum -- I say this neutrally, not as a bad thing.

By submitting this post, I hereby resign from my role as Forum President, effective immediately. Our current Vice President, The Slayer, shall immediately assume the role of Forum President, and he may select whichever forum member he chooses to become Forum Vice President. I request that my president badge be removed and given to The Slayer as soon as possible.

Over the past six years, this forum has without doubt shaped me in a multitude of positively interesting ways. I've learned a ton, met a lot of great people, and undergone a great deal of internet etiquette maturation (look at my posts from when I first joined ). I'll still be here, of course, and posting every now and then. For the past six years, Geek Culture has always been the first tab in my browser -- I don't expect this to change.

How does one end a post like this? I don't know.
OUT with the ugly campaign signature and IN with some super fancy text.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 12:00 Edited at: 12th Nov 2016 12:02
Quote: "How does one end a post like this? I don't know. "

With a cat burrito of course.

It's sad to see you lose desire/hope for this forum, but I'm glad that you'll still be sticking around.

EDIT: That picture is way bigger than I expected. I'd remove it, but it's an important picture.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 13:31 Edited at: 12th Nov 2016 13:32
That cat burrito looks delicious! Mnomnomnom.

...anyway, who got banned?
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 17:04
Yodaman Jer, TheComet also, but he is back

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 19:18 Edited at: 12th Nov 2016 19:21
Yes, sadly nobody put a hit on a moderator for banning someone. Seriously - I'm sorry but forget the forum presidency crap and raise an official complaint with TGC, then shut up. These matters have nothing to do with you and never will.
The code is dark and full of errors
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 19:23
Quote: "How does one end a post like this? I don't know. "

Perhaps by saying it was just a joke ??

I think it's a bit sad to read your post, also considering the fact that you did all this trouble for becoming President, and also because you wanted to make Geek Culture popular again. I really think you should reconsider, because if I recall correctly, Yodaman Jer was already banned before the elections, and he said himself that he no longer wanted to visit the forum again. If you want to make the forums great again, it's not by leaving, mate. But, it's your decision of course.

Personnaly, I'd prefer to stay Vice President, simply because I don't have much free time with my game project 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia', but if people want me to become President, then I accept, IF budokaiman or TheComet become the Vice President.
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 19:42
Quote: "I ran with Geek Culture in mind, and Geek Culture only. It's really the only part of this forum I genuinely care about"

A true president cares for all his boards!

Quote: "By submitting this post, I hereby resign from my role as Forum President"

Quitter!

You do realize the forum president was never a real position and was merely for entertainment purposes only, right?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 20:10
All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding

Damo
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 22:05
Quote: "Quote: "I ran with Geek Culture in mind, and Geek Culture only. It's really the only part of this forum I genuinely care about"

A true president cares for all his boards!

Quote: "By submitting this post, I hereby resign from my role as Forum President"

Quitter!

You do realize the forum president was never a real position and was merely for entertainment purposes only, right?"

bingo

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 22:13
Quote: "All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding "

Words we should all live by.
damo4prez
"All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding" - damo4prez
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 01:53 Edited at: 13th Nov 2016 02:00
Quote: "Seriously - I'm sorry but forget the forum presidency crap and raise an official complaint with TGC, then shut up. These matters have nothing to do with you and never will."
I have no idea why you're approaching me with such a brash attitude. I merely described that I disagreed with the forum's moderation policies (which is okay) and specified a particular situation. You know very well that you did wrong by banning Yodaman Jer (and telling him to **** off) and theComet. It's especially funny since I never actually mentioned you in particular, but you've come straight out of the wood-works in a manner of rage, seemingly trying to defend yourself. Anyway, before I fall victim too, I'm not going to discuss this with you any further.

Quote: "A true president cares for all his boards!"
That's my point in resigning! I don't care for the boards anymore, so I'm not a true president anymore. Hence, I resigned. And a quitter, yes I am in many cases. One of my worst qualities I am finding.

Quote: "You do realize the forum president was never a real position and was merely for entertainment purposes only, right?"
Yeah, I know. Part of me wishes it had power, and I've honestly always dreamed of influencing higher TGC officials to let the position have power, but yeah now I realize it's just for fun. I probably took it too seriously. But, I figured I'd give the ceremonial position away to someone who'd do more with it, although it looks like Slayer isn't interested. See, my resignation post sounded serious, but that was for fun.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 02:29
Maybe you should gather your facts before making threads like this. #1 Yodaman was banned when he changed his signature to one that was asking to be banned for, so he was banned - end of - I realise that the signature change -> ban, was quick and people didn't see it, but anyway I'm happy to sit here and see how much foot you can fit in that mouth of yours - don't expect me to stop you anytime soon. #2 I didn't ban TheComet, you have assumed that fact despite me not being anywhere near the forum. The only users I've banned since Yodaman have been spambots so please check your facts before making accusations. #3 If I was out of line banning Yodaman, then why hasn't TGC reversed it? - might it be that you have a very limited, very narrow view of proceedings.

Let me make it clear - This forum is here for users of TGC products, moderators are here to moderate this forum, for them. If you are only here to post in the posting competition thread then make negative, ill-informed threads like this, then please just move along and leave us to it.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 04:16
Quote: "to someone who'd do more with it, although it looks like Slayer isn't interested. "

Never said I wasn't interested. Just said that I spend a lot of time on my game project. But, you know what? I'll accept. And budokaiman will be our Vice President, if he wants, of course.
And, another thing...you guys should chill. That's not me speaking as Vice or President...that's me speaking as a person who wants to read fun stuff, nerdy stuff, intelligent stuff. It's not fun to read any of this kind of arguing, on any forum, you know? Why don't you guys talk to each other privately, before assuming or accusing anything or anyone? We all want a pleasant stay here on these forums, dead or not. So, act like it. Thank you!

Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 04:42 Edited at: 13th Nov 2016 04:52
Quote: "Never said I wasn't interested. Just said that I spend a lot of time on my game project. But, you know what? I'll accept. And budokaiman will be our Vice President, if he wants, of course."
My apologies; I only briefly skimmed your post and was more focused on VanB's post. I now see more clearly what you wrote. And just to clarify, I wasn't like attacking you or accusing you or anything by saying you weren't interested, it just seemed that way after I skimmed your post (which was my mistake).

I feel I am more or less chill, VanB is the one who is making brash comments like talking about shoving my foot in my mouth and telling me to shut up; I am keeping a generally civil tone. It's over now, though, as I won't be discussing the issue with him further.

And you're absolutely correct, we all want a pleasant stay here. I'm all for staying out of arguments. My head is high, I am in no way upset about any part of this thread.

I really didn't expect the thread to take this direction; I had no agenda in resigning other than merely that. Didn't even really expect that many people to reply.

EDIT I will actually say one more thing on the topic: the reason I thought that VanB banned Comet was because another forum member told me so -- this other forum member was apparently wrong. Now I know that Comet was banned by somebody else.

See guys? I'm not fit to be your president!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 12:34
Quote: "Never said I wasn't interested. Just said that I spend a lot of time on my game project. But, you know what? I'll accept. And budokaiman will be our Vice President, if he wants, of course"

Sure, why not. First TGC forums and then... THE WORLD!
"All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding" - damo4prez
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 13:27
You have made an 'important' message resigning, claiming that my moderation is the cause, that I'm a power hungry mod who has banned respected members for no reason, and you've based this on something someone told you. When re-informed of the situation you've done nothing but claim I'm being brash and that you are chill.

You clearly do not see the problem here, so I'll leave you to whatever fantasy you think you live in.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 14:07
Quote: "And just to clarify, I wasn't like attacking you or accusing you or anything"

Yeah, no worries! We all make mistakes now and then.

Quote: "Sure, why not. First TGC forums and then... THE WORLD!"

Exactly! And after that, we can go to Mars ! After we're done, there won't be any planet left untouched! We will rule them all!

damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 14:14
A few of the points in AUP is to try not to back slash others where ever possible.

Sure, everyone got a right to an opinion I'm sure, but there are times and places to voice opinions regarding things and others.

With the way the AUP been set out - is quite good - so, this is not the place to do that to torment others.

If Duke Java dude wishes to leave - then so be it - good luck for the future.

Now lets all be a nice happy community and drop this now

Damo
Started coding with AMOS
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 14:53
I would say there's generally an appropriate way to deal with mod complaints. We are human of course, therefore capable of error and the traits human have. I have not yet met a mod who is power hungry or goes out of their way to abuse their power, at the end of the day all they want is a clean forum, with respect of the AUP and keeping it a family safe forum, bearing in mind it attracts people off all ages and backgrounds.

If you do feel a mod slips up or acts out of line, it is better to report it and have it looked into than try and not air dirty laundry, so to speak, as you may not have all of the facts and are liable to make accusations that may not be true. There is the possibility there are variables that you are unaware of or reasons for the decision made you're not aware of. Or it could be that the moderator themselves made a mistake or acted inappropriately, at the same time, just as members get strikes, mods are no different, whilst yes they aren't supposed to step out of line, but it's not a case of "you slip up, you are stripped of your status", after all, "to err is human". So you may find that if you do have a complaint against a mod and that complaint is genuine and taken seriously, it does not necessarily mean they will be stripped of moderator status. And also, it may happen that the nature of your complaint isn't necessarily always agreed by all. In cases of what might be considered "gross misconduct" would be different and that's where some discretion comes in.

Whilst I understand your concerns regarding how things have been handled Dark and how you are disheartened following this, but you have accused Van B of being power hungry and made accusations, so whilst you remain chill about it, at the same time, it's no surprise that he would come in to try and defend himself.

My view on it? I do not have all of the facts myself and would view it unfair for me to form one. I certainly know how it appears, and hope that you don't let it affect your relationship with the forum itself and its members, particularly with what the community has meant for you before. The mods now are no different to what they were then. And if you do find yourself having a problem, you can raise it, but please do so with the mods and not airing it and making accusations
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 06:07
Just to piggy-back off of Seppuku (and get my 2 cents in, I suppose). There is a PM system within these forums now; has been for some time now. Before assuming anything perhaps it would be best to send a message to the individual you take issue with, rather than creating or adding to threads here? Many of the Moderators here, have been on these boards for well over a decade. They've put up with a LOT of attitudes, threats and condemnations; all while trying to make this place a pleasant watering hole for all....and all done with their spare time cut from their daily lives. If you truly find the way things are run here (which hasn't really changed in the 10 to 11 years I've been around) to be lacking; you are always free to look elsewhere for your personal gratification. If you choose to return at any point, that's great too (assuming you haven't burned your bridges here).

I know I (and I can only assume a few others) find threads like this have become a bit tiresome. There are, and always have been, mechanisms to plead your case (if you have one)...if you feel you have been wronged. It wouldn't be the first time a Moderator here was threatened or ridiculed, and I suspect it won't be the last. We will act accordingly, in order to keep the peace here; until we are no longer needed.
-Keith
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 07:22 Edited at: 14th Nov 2016 07:50
Quote: "Before assuming anything perhaps it would be best to send a message to the individual you take issue with"
Yes, this was my mistake.

Quote: "rather than creating or adding to threads here?"
You guys seem to think my intention behind creating this thread was to call out the moderation. It was not -- my intention with this thread was to resign the presidency, and I merely stated the moderation as one of the reasons why. Had I just left out the part where I said "especially regarding the bannings of so and so" none of this conversation would have taken place.

Quote: "you are always free to look elsewhere for your personal gratification."
Again, it seems you are looking at this thread with the view point that I am complaining. I am not complaining. I think this forum is a fantastic place, I just don't like its moderation policies. It's always been that way. This forum gives me plenty of personal gratification. I merely resigned because (and this embodies the whole point of this thread) I didn't really care to make the forum a better place anymore. Moderation was just one of the additional reasons I listed.

Quote: "If you choose to return at any point"
I'm not leaving. As I said in my original post, I plan to keep posting here from time to time.

Quote: "assuming you haven't burned your bridges here"
I don't really think I have. The only people who really seem to have an issue with me right now are moderators.

Quote: "I know I (and I can only assume a few others) find threads like this have become a bit tiresome"
Please let me reiterate that this thread was absolutely not created to call out any aspect of this forum's moderation, I just happened to. It might as well have been an offhanded comment.

People seem to be interpreting this whole post as an attack on this forum's moderation, or VanB, or whatever. It's not that. Maybe I have never pursued reporting issues with moderators, because these things happen, I feel like I have no voice here. Keith, you're one of the mods I have more respect for, so I am not intending to argue with you here, I'm just trying to defend my case.

And now that I more clearly understand the case surrounding VanB, I must apologize to him. Based on my (incorrect) understanding that he had banned Yodaman over the argument they had, and that he had also banned Comet, my original stance was justified. Now I know I was wrong. Therefore, VanB, I am sorry that this all resulted. I've been generally on good terms with mods for most of my time here, so I am sad to see this all taking place.

And Seppuku, I've gotta say man, you're a fantastic guy. I've seriously don't think I've ever seen you write a post with anger, aggression, attitude, or any other negative emotion. You just write with wisdom, it seems. That's the kind of moderation we need. Hopefully that doesn't sound sarcastic or anything, I really mean it.

And I shall reiterate this once more: my intention with creating this thread was never to call out any aspect of this forum's moderation. It wasn't even to complain about this forum; I love this forum. It was just to resign, I didn't feel comfortable holding the position anymore. People seem to think I had some ulterior motive to call out the forum's moderators. And see, this is what really makes me sad -- most of the people posting here have completely ignored one of the last lines of my original post:
Quote: "Over the past six years, this forum has without doubt shaped me in a multitude of positively interesting ways. I've learned a ton, met a lot of great people, and undergone a great deal of internet etiquette maturation (look at my posts from when I first joined ). I'll still be here, of course, and posting every now and then. For the past six years, Geek Culture has always been the first tab in my browser -- I don't expect this to change."
If anything, my original post, and hence a large part of my intent with this whole thread, was to praise this place for what it's done for me over the past six years. My original post contains 19 sentences, only 1 one which actually talks about moderation. And I get reamed for it.

It's also astonishing that I have been on good terms with the mods for so long, and now with such a slight slip-up like this, we have on our hands a thread that's going out of control, with me as the bad guy.

Anyway, why are we talking about any of this? This forum is a place for people to talk about fun technology. Oh, the internet is an interesting thing!
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 10:12
the internet can be full of trolls - No one really knows anyone - not like we all go round to each others for a cuppa and bit of pub banta.

I don't believe anyone done wrong here - unless haven't abided by the AUP rules in the past
and thats all that really should matter

REM - either

- Remark Comment

- Rapid Eye Movement

- Or as the song goes - Shining Happy People

Damo

Started coding with AMOS
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 11:52
Thanks Dark Java, I appreciate it. Lets get back to business and try and get along better in future.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 16:17
I guess you could say that writing something on the internet or talking to someone in person and get to know that person, is still quite different.
Spoken words (and facial expressions and body language) are often better understandable/readable than written words, at least in some cases. Sometimes we write things that others might read the wrong way.

At least, the whole issue has been solved, just like adult people do, so for that, here's a high five!

But, just in case you guys forgot...me and budokaiman as our Vice President WILL rule this planet, and all others in the entire universe...one day !

Oh, and btw...Battlefield 1 is so awesome!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 19:10 Edited at: 14th Nov 2016 19:13
Van B wrote: "raise an official complaint with TGC"

Yoda and I did raise an official complaint, but nothing came of it.

From my viewpoint, I see Yoda raised some valid points on forum activity: TGC's decision to start an isolated, new community instead of building upon this existing community (you know, involve the older users) was a bad move. It seemed like Yoda wasn't getting through to anyone and he got a little agitated. Then got banned for 100 years for no apparent reason as far as the AUP is concerned.

I got banned for debating a controversial viewpoint with Seppuku 10 days after the fact. The discussion had fallen back 4 pages. The reason for the 10-day-late ban was "I am sick of you" along with some profanity, which I find is unfair, immature and rude. As far as I was concerned, I also didn't break any rules in the AUP.

I understand the moderator's right to ban people at their own discretion, I subscribe to what Seppuku and KeithC have already stated, and I also understand the need to keep the forums "on topic" and clean, but you have to understand: It's become impossible to talk about anything exciting on this forum. Any topic that could incite controversy is tabu. It is possible to talk about these things in a civil manner. In fact, I seem to remember a recent thread where that was the case (can't find it, maybe if I dig harder), but despite the discussion being friendly in nature, a lot of users posted "keep it civil guys" (for no reason?) before it eventually got locked because a moderator deemed it to be flamebait.

With DBP/DBC/GDK being dead products, there's just nothing left. This community is destined to die out.

It seems to me this is exactly what TGC wants to achieve.
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 19:18
The apparant reason why Yodaman was banned is obviously clear to TGC but completely invisible to you. He changed his signature and location to one he'd get banned for, then he got banned for it. I feel like we just got through explaining this.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 19:23
Yes, OK, fair enough.

In the thread where all of this happened, I recall none of the issues Yoda stated were properly addressed. Everyone just evaded into unnecessary side discussions. Yoda decided he wanted to be banned after he realised there's no more hope in this community.

I think this is what we should be focusing on now, rather than focusing on why certain users were banned for what.
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 20:00
Quote: "Yoda and I did raise an official complaint, but nothing came of it."

Something did come of it. It was discussed with the moderators and TGC on the mod board.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 23:31
Can't we all just get along and go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 00:26
Good to see that out of people's system. And Dark, like a pint of Guinness, you've got a good head.

Talking of booze, I'll buy the first round in.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 11:34
Quote: "Oh, and btw...Battlefield 1 is so awesome!"

It sure is - it suffers from some of the issues that always plague battlefield, mostly due to the way some people play it I think. But it is a lot of fun, when you get a good squad together who push forward as a team it is like no other game... especially if not every blighter is a sniping. I prefer to play as support, with the big machine gun with 100 bullet magazines. The mortar is awesome for digging out campers and snipers, and the limpet bomb just makes you feel like a bad ass when it works. My k/d is terrible but I stopped caring about that in BF4 a long time ago

It's kinda sad that Battlefront turned out such a turkey when this was on the horizon. If they took the BF1 engine, the Battlefront media, and made a BF1 DLC with it, people wouldn't be able to throw their money at the screen fast enough.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 20:50 Edited at: 15th Nov 2016 20:50
Quote: "It's kinda sad that Battlefront turned out such a turkey when this was on the horizon. If they took the BF1 engine, the Battlefront media, and made a BF1 DLC with it, people wouldn't be able to throw their money at the screen fast enough."

I've got high hopes for battlefront 2. I think that Dice tried to turn it around with the DLC for battlefront but with the disappointing original release of the game, the DLC was just too late to save it.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2016 00:12
I know I'm late to the game here, I've been on a personal 'break' of sorts from pc-internet-game development life for the last few months, attempting to get some life stuff in order.. But I'd just like to clear some misinformation that has been posted and at the very least post some facts and thoughts on the whole situation.

Concerning TheComet's ban and his comment above:

Quote: "I got banned for debating a controversial viewpoint with Seppuku 10 days after the fact. The discussion had fallen back 4 pages. The reason for the 10-day-late ban was "I am sick of you" along with some profanity, which I find is unfair, immature and rude. As far as I was concerned, I also didn't break any rules in the AUP."

I, JLMoondog, banned TheComet, and this is the actual message, copy and pasted from TheComet's ban history page, I typed in as the reason:

Quote: "hiding countless insults behind 'novel' posts while stroking his ego in-front of everyone-sick of it"

I did not say "sick of you", but "sick of it", referring to the many posts I had read through concerning the ban. Also there was no swear words used, I'm not sure what you meant by that. Yes the message was harsh, and I'll admit I was unaware TheComet would be able to read it, new system and all, so I sincerely apologize for that comment. I hope you accept my apology. The only explanation I can give you is, normally when I moderate posts, 9/10 times I will personally edit a person's post to take out the text, image or other item that would otherwise break the AUP. I do not have to do this and I'm usually in my right to slap the person. But I feel like a lot of times people will post here the way they would respond P2P, show their personality through what they say and show-off, so I'm more than happy to edit a post every now and than to prevent others from misinterpreting someone's 'joke' as an 'insult', for example.

In regards to TheComet's ban, I had read through many of his posts in a debate, including several others and a Mod who was responding to him, responses I checked were posted as little as 20 hours before I believe, how old the discussion is doesn't effect my discussion, only if it's still relevant. My personal opinion at the time was he was pushing the boundaries of the AUP, insulting people by hiding it behind his sentence structure and exact wording, while baiting for others to flame in response. This was my interpretation, my opinion if you like, of his posts, and so I banned him for 10 days. I normally never ban someone for less than 30 days, or I feel it's a "what's the point than?", the reason being I was giving that topic time to die, become buried by many other posts, and for anyone involved to forget and move on from the discussion. A slap would have meant either I or another Mod would have had to read, approve and edit his posts encase he tried to return to the topic before the end of his slap. So I decided on a very short ban.

Within minutes of the ban, I created a mod thread discussing it and asking for the other mods opinions. This is actually something every single mod does concerning bans of members with some history here, we don't have to, but we do it because we want to make sure we made the right decision and didn't allow our emotions or personal opinions effect our actions towards the user. So everyone usually is able to give their own assessments and if a ban was too harsh a punishment, or unnecessary, it's lifted or most of the time reduced to a slap. This has actually happened several times, sometimes without the person ever knowing. Every situation is different and everyone is human on both sides. Calling a Mod 'power hungry' and abusing the usage of that power is simply ridiculous, for the simple fact that every mod has always been not only open about their actions, but open to the opinions and advice of the other mods concerning their actions. We are a team that works together and constantly rely's on each other to always make the right decision. Back to the ban, several mods had responded to my thread, and I won't speak for them but in the end the ban was upheld.

That was my reasoning and I still believe I acted correctly to the situation. I really do apologize for the comment, it ended up being more an opinion and emotional response fueled by recent activity I'd experienced on the forums, when I should have stuck strictly to facts and a clear reason. At the time I felt like I had been editing more and more posts lately because of users either pushing the boundaries or breaking the AUP, whether intentional or unintentional, and I was getting a little tired of it. Unfortunately it was your ban that I finally slipped and responded in a harsh way. I hope you at least believe me and accept my apology. TGC did in fact talk to the Mods about leaving anything but reasons in the reason text box, shortly after this and one other situation was brought to their attention. So your concerns are always looked into by TGC, just results are not always made known.

Last thought and I'm done, promise! ? :-| Concerning the mods and the AUP on this forum.. Everyone needs to understand that it is our responsibility to protect every user on this forum, yes even you TheComet, lol, and we do that by upholding the AUP. An AUP probably written up by a stuffy ole' lawyer that makes sure these forums are safe for anyone of all ages, just like every other user agreement ever created by lawyers for other companies! That's just something businesses are forced to do. Yes, it protects TGC as a business, but it also protects everyone else that wants to browse this forum and make their own posts. TheComet said:

Quote: "I also understand the need to keep the forums "on topic" and clean, but you have to understand: It's become impossible to talk about anything exciting on this forum. Any topic that could incite controversy is tabu."

...and with that you've got your answer to the problem you've pointed out. This isn't the forum for topics that are or could become controversial or tabu, it's a forum open to everyone(rated E for everyone), to talk about TGC products, amazing projects by it's users and anything about game development with the occasional off topic posts only other nerds and geeks would like.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post and two week late response, but it's been a few months since my last login and I guess I feel like I need to respond, lol.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 03:58:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 03:58:02