Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / THIS IS SO MUCH F'N FUN

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I used to use basic to write buisness applications on Apple IIE. . . . Using basic for game making is so much fun. . . LOL I'm still in the making cubes and stuff move around a big blue screen and im having a blast LOL.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 02:05
Heh,,,glad your havin fun

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
jazzman
Years of Service
User Offline
One question though is the 3d world in darkbasic finite???
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 02:47
only if you code it that way.

you can scroll a huge data map of numbered heights to represent the mountains and so forth of a landscape.

To achieve a result like this effectively you can scroll a matrix within an area thats visible by fog to look like its moving along when in fact your just scrolling around this area.

while its not totally infinite in this regard you could always tweak it to make it a near infinite world with some extra clever ideas tacked onto the ends of this theory.
evil stuff
Years of Service
User Offline
Dude your luky! I have still have troble with bitmaps how did you learn dark basic your some kind of Have you been to [href]www.homestarrunner.com[/href] or [href]www.makingfiends.com[/href]

may the code be with you
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 20:58
ah [href]www.homestarrunner.com [/href] good stuff

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 21:41
Hi jazzman,

Effectively no. However, you may experience problems over very large distances (eg: objects over a certain distance from the camera are removed from the scene for efficency reasons). Sometimes you can innaccuracies with decimals over a certain distance as well - but I mean over 20000+ units here.

BLUE GUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BLUE IDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro
Lonnie
Years of Service
User Offline
I am just about where jazzman is at in programming Dark Basic (I use pro) . I am having fun moving objects, getting them to bounce of walls, and messing around with some other things too.

What I realy want to do soon though... Is get a program to upload files to my site, but use it to divide files up into 1 megabyte parts. Then when you download em, put them back together.

But that seems to be to hard for me at the moment.

Quick question. I am a newbie to DarkBasic(I have done some tutorials though...). Would it be a good Idea for me to get The Dark Basic Learners guide book? I can probably get it for christmas, if I ask for it.

Later

Do Print "Hello World"
Wait 2003 loop
MrSevenHands
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought the book the other day and just started reading it. It's really well put together IMO.

I am pretty new to programming. I took some classes in VB,C++,java,java script and HTML. The book is cool cause it starts you off at the very beginning. There is a whole chapter on how to install DB/DB pro (which I of course skipped). That’s how beginner it is.

If you know pretty much nothing about programming, I would get this book for sure. If you a little of another language or even some DB I would still suggest getting the book cause I bet there are things it will teach you that you wont learn from the tutorials.

If you have been programming for a while I dont think the book will help you at all. Notice the title. The beginners guide to Dark Basic. That’s exactly what it is. The BEGINNERS guide. It starts you off at the beginning.

I think I will gain a lot from it. I like how it is put together.

Good Luck
jazzman
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey lonie i found a program on a game maker site dont remember wich one but it does break your program down in to bite sized packets small enough to put it on a floppy disk. However why need to break it down with the technology of cd writers and dvd writers. . there are even free programs that compile your program into a installer that makes installing your game automaticly ill let you know if i find it but i cant seem to find it right now . . . try to to a search on it i think i found it from a link on this site

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:20:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:20:18