Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hey all Have a Qustion!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

Just found this website on google. I am really intrested in making a game. My friends and I have just decided to. We dont know where to start. So I am wondering what should i buy. This is what we would like it to contain :SP-FPS, Power ups, HP packs, Ammo, Collecting guns, 3d, AI, Long maps, Able to go to differnt planets thats basicly it. And I want to make it mulitplayer. Thanks alot!!! (Bad Remarks Welcomed)
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 03:40 Edited at: 15th Dec 2003 03:42
Well that was a very general statement and I take it that you have no clue how to begin developing a game. I'll tell you this, it's a long and complicated process, but it's also very fun. I'll get you started.

1. Do your own research. I bet a lot of the response you get here will be biased as far as what you should use, but you need to learn SOMETHING about game development before you even BEGIN thinking about making one. I suggest buying the book Game Design: The Art and Business of Making Games. While it's not a total beginners book, you'll get some ideas from it.

2. Learn your strong points and build on to them. There are SO many different aspects of game development. Programming, 3D modelling, texturing, mapping, story board, concept art, and so much more. What it will come down to for a group of independent developers, though, is basically four main positions: Programmer, 3D Modeller, 2D/Texture Artist, and Musician (I prefer composer). Of course, even THESE can be broken down, but I won't get into that. The thing you need to know is, even with a simple beginner's programming language like DarkBASIC, you probably won't be able to get started for at least a few months. In these few months, you'll be learning how to do what it is you want to do. It's only then, when you feel comfortable, that you should get started on a group project.

3. Start out with something simple, and build. Once you and your team know how to do these things, collaborate with each other and make a SMALL game. Quake is not a small game. Hell, Mario is not a small game. Pong is a simple enough game, but I'd recommend something even simpler, like Tic Tac Toe. If you can make TTT, you've proven that you can at least make ONE game. In the beginning, that should be your goal, to just make a game. Doesn't matter how much it sucks, how terrible the graphics/AI are. Just do it. After you have one game done, continue working with your team to make better and better games.

I could go into so much more detail...but you know, I don't want to overcomplicate things.

Hope I helped.

Later.
- Steve

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Clarks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 03:43
Well first of all doing that isn't going to be easy as a beginner but with determination and time it will happen and you'll will become good programmers. Its a good thing to have more than one person on your team, trust it really helps because when things get difficult and you get stressed its very helpful if someone takes over. Ok where do you all start. It depends on what programming language you're using. Have you choosen what program youll are going to use? Thats the first place to start. Then next place is to learn the basics of the programming language and thats just the begining.

Other DarkBasic programmers will give more info.
gjivan72
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Thanks ALot!! Nice Intro Steve

Well Clarks about the programming language.. I was wondering which one I shoud learn do you think DarkBasic is good or should i use C/C++? This is for a FPS I am not sure Thanks alot!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 23:50
If you have no programming experience, I highly recommend you get darkbasic. You'll get results much quicker than trying to learn C++ and the DX API.
Rennekon
Years of Service
User Offline
C++ is in code while DB and DB Pro are in pretty much plain english. THis language is a lot easier to learn.

John "Dark Lord of Angel Destroying Destiny" Pringlebee, maybe?
Doc_Grimm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 01:25
Some tips I never see given to people who ask that question:

First:
Play games.

It sounds obvious, but seriously, sit down, grab a pen and paper and play games. As soon as your done, write what you liked, what you didn't. Even your favorite game has things you wish were done better. After a couple weeks of playing, look at your notes and organize them. It helps eliminate empty page syndrome and can give you a direction when you start getting into the thick of it. The step of playing games is often overlooked in the process. If you don't know what works and what doesn't you can't know what you're supposed to do.

Next:

Listen to everyone, but follow yourself.

Lots of people can give advice, eventually, you'll have two pieces of good advice that contradict because it's two different opinions. Other people can always pick at something (even if they like the game), and you should take it seriously. But if you wouldn't like playing the game they want you to make, you'll ultimately be unhappy.

Finally:
Set small achievable goals when you start any new system/game.

Don't try to add more than one feature at a time in the begining. Add one thing, see how it works. Fix. Fix again. Swear. Fix one more time. Enjoy. Repeat.

That's my advice for my style anyway. Stick with it, try everything in the begining, find what you like and keep at it.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 01:33
or you could try your hand at modding before you try programming. You could download Valve Hammer Editor and make a Half-Life mod first, to get the hang of "Design" before you jump into development. Design (good design, games or apps) is 95% of the battle, writing code is secondary. Anyone can write clean, concise, efficient code but a bad design will bring any coder to their knees, IMHO.

Good luck in your endeavours, people here like to help.
And remember the KISS rule: "Keep it simple, stupid!"

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply!
Doc_Grimm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 05:16

As someone who codes to put food on the table and a roof over their heads, I have to disagree:

No. Not everyone can write clean efficent code.

Believe me, I've seen some code from people who obviously can't. It's like saying anyone who can hold a pen can write Shakespeare. I'm not saying I'm all that when it comes to code, but it's a skill like any other.

Good code is part art, part science, and it's quality is directly proportional to your passion for it.

But that applies to just about everything. Including game design.

Try all the parts. Level design, script writing, code, etc. Then focus on your favorite part and work with that. If you focus on your passion, your work will be better, if your work is better, so will your game.

But I do agree with ol Fat Ass Bob that a bad design will ruin a game instantly, regaurdless of the other parts.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 05:51
Doc, yes I agree, coding (good coding) is an art and requires insight and forethought, which I guess is a daily struggle but is also what makes it fun. I was just trying to make the point that Good Design elicits good code, as long as the coder is competent, that is. And yes I code for food too.

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:24:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:24:02