Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Linux Operating Systems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 17:47
i'm looking for a new version of Linux, Red Hat's alright; but what i really need is one that i can boot up on the fly. Infact it'd be preferable if i could use it as an environment within Windows NT 5.x or MacOSX.5 (Panther)

any suggestions?

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 18:15
http://www.vmware.com/?
Never used it myself.

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 18:32 Edited at: 15th Dec 2003 18:33
VMWare is best if you wish to boot from within another OS (eg. Windows within Linux or Linux within Windows) or if you want something bootable straight off you could give Knoppix a go. Knoppix is based on Debian and has some of the best hardware autodetection around. Boots straight from a CD and includes plenty of common programs (such as Mozilla, OpenOffice, Xine, etc.)

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 20:29
Was that the one that was put on the cover of a PC magazine ? If so, then it doesn't like TFT monitors and nVidia sound systems.

Did you bring the cloak of invisibility ? Oh damn, I left it in the bag of forgetfulness...
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 20:35
No idea, personally I use Gentoo and have the onboard sound on my nForce2 motherboard working perfectly .

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 21:52
got vmware working over the remote server ^_^
can't seem to get Linux to bootup, so will probably have to do that from home itself. no doubt my firewall getting in the way.

^_^ cheers

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 00:37
Search for the Knoppix Live ISO - no installation required and great if you need a taster of Linux.

BLUE GUI Plugin: http://blue.robert-knight.net / BLUE IDE [href]http://blueide.sf.net/ - Replacement editor for DBPro[/href]
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 00:41
well actually rehat is part of "cups" ,common unix protocol services or something and thats similar to OSX in regards to that aspect, OSX is a berkley state variant but theres a u beaut one called gentoo.

To be totally sure visit www.distrowatch.com and choose from 150 flavours.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 01:49
yeah, Red Hat's main problem is it's irix roots; installing SuSE now and have VM Client working fine ^_^

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 09:35
Knoppix!!

Lol

for the driver problems there are little tricks you can use at boot up (Which are strangely saved somewhere on your HD too!).

They are in the FAQ's somewhere, like /xview or somming like that. But its a driver that every GFX Card supports.

Now then, one thing about knoppix is the fact that you really need to install it on your HD to get the speed out of it, strange that!

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 20:21
got SuSE 8.2 now fully installed; quite a bit quicker than Red Hat 9, and has better automatic support.

well anyways i've got it working for what i needed. my GameCube kit wasn't working under XP, only would compile under Linux. Though Red Hat was also giving me grief with my Panasonic hooked up.

everythings good now though, been having fun getting Cube Dv Binaries working ^_^ ... after christmas i'm gonna have alot of fun translating something to the Cube ^_^

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 20:47
Eeek - Raven's turned to The Dark Side...

Did you bring the cloak of invisibility ? Oh damn, I left it in the bag of forgetfulness...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 21:43
thanks to the_winch i didn't have too...
Ahh Linux within a WindowsXP Emulation Layer hehee, viva la Windows!

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 00:15
Indeedly...

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 00:22
Raven, i love your avatar for one reason, every time i turn on music, it looks like it is dancing to that EXACT beat. it amazes me...

Linix, oh how i wish i could use it. My mom doesnt want anything she cant use, so i have to use Windows until i get my computer back...

Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 00:36
I used to run linux within windows. But I'm MUCH better off now that i'm running windows in linux.. Not through VMware.. but nativly with Wine and WineX Infact some win95 programs that don't work in XP work in linux.. heh...

"I LIKE MARSHMELLOWS!" - Homestar Runner
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 03:16
suse is like a girls linux hes gone to the green side.

you can even cntrl alt delete in suse because its made for a slow step from windas to line-arks.

get debian or gentoo and then you know your playing with something substantial.

linuxformat.co.uk has a great article about the green gecko (or geeko as some have coined it )

suse has a reset state program which is neat tho like a roll back feature in XP Eg: roll back one days worth of work if you stuffed up the kernel.

suse desktop 2 isnt out until late 2004 tho so hello desktop 1 and no server 9 enterprise edition till then.

suse craps out when benchmarked in performance with other linux distros with certain architecture in mysql but im sure they will fix that.

haha raven took the green gecko path lol
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 03:29
^_^ yeah well i still have Red Hat for my longer needed uses, and infact i prefer using my Mac for any serious Irix based work.
Thank god panther is a far more stable...

something VMWare doesn't support though is 64bit mode, didn't know that my Windows XP 64Bit however has emulation layers builtin.

So i booted up SuSE in a second Desktop, with 2 Mice and 3 Monitors i can do quite alot. Have Maya on my main monitor, PhotoshopCS (still getting used to the updates, truely AWESOME updates) on another, and Linux with Codewarrior on the other.

though i never realised how memory hungry linux is before, it took 768mb from Windows. Left it with like 1.2gb so hardly short of it, but considering i set the DT's to 512mb each, it was a lil shocking.
It also slugged without me installing my Quadro, so Windows itself is currently running off my 9800XT :: spits :: hehee

it's weird, but think i'm getting used to the new setup.

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 04:36
mac? ugh, i cant stand using macs...

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 09:51 Edited at: 17th Dec 2003 09:55
I actually saw some Mac software (games and word processing programs) in PC World last week. They were somewhat more expensive than their PC counterparts (and there was only one long shelf full), but even so - the joy of seeing the Mystical Mac Software... I got so excited, I went to see if I could get Visual Studio .Net for the PC... Which the didn't have (of course)...

So, I got .Net Professional off eBay (for £125) - a save of £700 or so...

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 11:17
I so badly want to spend 5 grand on a g5 dual head 2ghz machine for some home video editing jobs and work related video jobs but im waiting until they drop a bit in price and xmas crazyness is over.

I thought about a 17" g4 laptop after having a tinker, the size of the monitor is so lush.

so i have to live with ppclinux for my mac until then

photoshop win32 emulates quite well in wine with speed results on par to running it in windas.

linux is a whole bucket of fun and I shouldnt be so flavour praetorian.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 12:11
Doubt you'll see much of a price drop the G5...

Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 17:03
Linux isn't particularly memory hungry, VMWare is though. It reserves a large portion of the allocated memory for itself even if it's not in use by the virtual system.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:42:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:42:50