Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2017 16:26 Edited at: 7th Feb 2017 04:07
EDIT: My attempt was a bust, but back in 2011 someone coded a nice engine here. It's worth a look if you haven't seen it!
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 00:14 Edited at: 6th Feb 2017 00:18
Okay, so it can't do the billions of cubes that Minecraft can do, but it this a reasonable approach?

Any opinions, comments, suggestions are welcome!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 13:48
Voxel block simulation with billions of blocks is a possibility in DBP; or any DirectX/OpenGL engine out there. You just need a significant amount of time and dedication to build the algorithm. If you have great maths skills, all the better.

With the faster computer's nowadays and huge amounts of RAM at hand, it is easier now to build engines like that; you'd just have to spend about million hours and would need a great deal of golden apples, diamond swords and ender pearls to work your magic.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 23:59 Edited at: 9th Feb 2017 00:00
Indeed, Chris!
I'm always a decade behind, but I have been reading all kinds of tutorials and I'm getting the mental gist of voxel engines.
It seems to be centered around chunk size vs rendering. A balance must be found.

To me, the great thing about voxels are not only the simplicity of the concept itself, but also the potential for, not only unlimited world size, but also for infinite detail, perhaps even down to the quantum level... somebody call Scott Bakula after he cleans that toilet!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 21:41
lol

There are some decent great voxel based games out there; but lag is usually the problem with them.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2017 14:11

Yes, it seems that ambition is always one step ahead of technology. I suppose because we can always imagine more than we can create.
I'm really impressed with the Voxel Farm engine, even though it's been around for a while:

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2017 20:01
It looks lovely. Makes me think about what kind of game I would make with it if I had to use it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:26:42
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:26:42