Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Strange spawn behaviour

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 02:06
I am now having trouble with character entities that respawn, or spawn other entities. At times once they are killed, they go into their idle animation, drop their weapon and just stand there, still with full collision active. It's as if in these cases the destroy script doesn't activate. The strange thing is that I get this problem with stock fpsc scripts, darkai, and nomad mod/ black ice mod scripts.
If they do decide to die, however, they respawn with half of their bodies in the floor.
I have moved my characters to slightly above the ground to see if that solves things, but alas, no such luck.
I am truly at my wit's end. I cannot find any alternative way to spawn in waves of enemies due to my problems.
And since I have not seen any recent posts about any similar problems, I fear the problem may rest solely on my side.
But what could be causing this?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 10:42
Kafoolwho I get this problem after re-spawn about the 3 or 4th time. Using the "appear2.fpi or appearspawn.fpi seams to help.
Have you tried another appear script?
But the problem with them appearing/respawn half in the floor hasn't come up in a long time???
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 13:13
Thanks, ncmako. The problem still persists. Though after a clean reinstall the characters at least die as they should, even though they respawn half in the floor, no matter which appear script I use.
I am using Black Ice Mod 6.1, because my monitor can't handle the new HD resolution and aspect ratio of newer versions of the mod. Could this be a factor?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 18:29 Edited at: 10th Feb 2017 18:31
Kafoolwho Sorry this is happening to you, even after a clean install. I tried to replicate this problem, but my "respawn" is working as should be.
I even used "delay respawn" and worked flawlessly.
How about the "destroy" script? Are you using a stock one or custom? I used just the pain "fadecorpse" for the destroy.

Quote: "I am using Black Ice Mod 6.1, because my monitor can't handle the new HD resolution"

The resolution changes wouldn't matter with this, but I did see where Nomad made some "fixes" to
collision in later versions of Black Ice.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 20:08 Edited at: 10th Feb 2017 21:09
I used default fpsc destroy script, Black Ice mod scripts and even tried some of my own. The problem persists....
I guess i will have to rethink the way I spawn enemies in my project.

I didn't think that the resolution might have been a problem, but more so perhaps an update I might have missed that fixes the problem.

Thanks for your assistance and suggestions, ncmako. It is very much appreciated.

Edit: since the enemies now die as they should, I have scripted them to activate a completely different character on death. Let's say, for instance, that I have starter enemies named A1, B1 and C1. On their deaths they will activate enemies A2, B2 and C2 individually. This method allows me to spawn in much more different types of characters with different setups, but is much more costly than having a character respawn. However, each character only gets spawned once, so they don't end up halfway through the floor...
Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2017 01:22
Set the Enemy to not spawn at start.
Name the enemy something. Example: Enemy1
Add a trigger Zone and use the Player in zone Activate If Used Script.
in the trigger zone properties, put the enemy's name in the 'Activate if used"

Effect:
When the player walks into the Trigger Zone, The Enemy will spawn.

Maybe you can build off of this?

PAIN!
Me = noob
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2017 12:07 Edited at: 11th Feb 2017 13:07
Thanks Pain. However, that is already the method I have been using for all my character spawns up to this point.

Also, using trigger zones to spawn enemy waves just isn't feasible for my project. To keep frame rates manageable, the method I have outlined above makes sure that there are never more than four DarkAI enemies on-screen at any time. Only the initial four enemies need to be spawned from the trigger zone.
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2017 03:29
Just for the heck of it I took a look at the models themselves, since I remembered that the initial problem of characters appearing halfway in the floor had to do with root bone placement. Nope. The root bones are at 0,0,0 between the characters' feet, so still no luck. Hehehe. It seems I'll never figure this one out on my current version of FPSC.
That's alright, though. My workaround method seems to be doing the job fairly well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:19:16
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:19:16