Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / unfinished work

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2017 07:57 Edited at: 12th Feb 2017 08:02
more ideas then can ever be completed. lets see some unfinished works of the community that were great ideas at the time
A child's dream never dies.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2017 15:50 Edited at: 12th Feb 2017 15:51
"Pirates of port royale" and "geisha house" spring to mind
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 12th Feb 2017 22:16
Hmmm...'FindItBook' and 'Snackantula' come to mind. Oh...and 'Planet Okron' as well. Good memories though. Had a lot of fun working on them, even though they never got finished.
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 05:49
post some pics make this fun!

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 09:48
I started a cool puzzler called "Doki Doki" (way before there was a Japanese Festival of the same name).... It made heavy use of tilt controls to move a bunch of floating blobs around the screen to get certain colours into the right areas in order to keep the pulse going. It's on the backburner and I'll probably return to it some day.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 16th Feb 2017 18:54
Here's a link to the Pirates of Port Royale project by Gil Galvanti:

Pirates of Port Royale NewThread

The youtube videos are still there and Gil had obviously achieved a lot.

What about ideas which never made it to the forum? My shader based image editor, for example?
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 03:37
anything goes . visions of grandeur that flopped of fell short pretty things with no purpose and complex code that does very little anything your proud of that was never finished or shared

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 08:46 Edited at: 17th Feb 2017 08:47
AGK

3D Stand - stalled because of my knowledge of shaders
Circles - stalled and never restarted when android couldn't handle render images correctly
Orchestrated Bingo - 0.99 released for a competition (won $1000 and a laptop). Never fully released
Orchestrated Quiz - gets developed on and off
Race Night - gets developed on and off
Rails - 3D Google Card rollercoaster
Reactor - Raspberry Pi project with Arcade button interface. Stalled when couldn't get AppGameKit to hold a state on pins.
SmartWorld - Level editor
Balancing game - V0.99 for a competition (won a Playbook) but never fully published
Film review - V0.99 for a competition, monitored emotions whilst watching a film (won $1000) but never fully published
Quiz game - V0.99 for a competition, (won a table PC) but never fully published
Touch-based game - V0.99 for a competition, (won a touchscreen Intel Ultrabook) but never fully published

DBPro
Smart Particles - particle system designer. Used myself but never published
DB Doc - code documenter. Used myself but never published
AI Game - released V0.99 for a competition (won a graphics card), but never fully published
Joust - 3D remake of 80s game
Physics Editor
Snake - V0.99 for a competition (won some software) but never fully published

+ many more!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 10:38
Batvink

I'm impressed.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 10:45

here's some of my old Amiga stuff

UnderwareDesign.com - Retro Amiga Tech Demo Videos

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 22:29
I have 99 repositorys on my github profile github.com/thezoq2

Out of those ~10 are forks. Out of the others, I have finnished 13 which means I have ~15% finnished projects

Though most of the finnished projects have atleast 2 repos for various reasons so the actual number is probably ~7%
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 04:58
Quote: "post some pics make this fun!"

Here are some !

FindItBook ('Find the differences' -app):

DarkEffex (Sprite sheet based particle editor for DBPro):

Planet Okron (Space based horizontal side scroller in ADG):

The Leadwerks Community Project (Horror game created by several LE community members, of which I was the Lead Graphics Designer):
This project was actually 'finished', but never got published publically.

Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 22:13
Hmm. My unfinished projects...

Ronin -> Waaaay too ambitious. Particularly as I was trying this when I was a newb. I was one of those people who managed to code something simple and think I can take on the world. Maybe one day it'll come to realisation. However, it was an ambitious turn-based RPG with a heavy Samurai theme, in a fantasy world based around feudal Japan. It is the fascination with feudal Japan that led to me planning out a massive project and also why I named myself Seppuku Arts and have often had Samurai related avatars, like Miyamoto Musashi. But I have had the Grim Reaper since I became a mod, following a comic somebody made depicting me as the Grim Reaper.

Abyance -> The less ambitious project. Still a turn-based RPG. This is the idea I came up with when reality got the better of me. My initial ideas/designs were still too much for me, but I managed to get it to something more manageable and even finished a playable demo of it. However, my 3D animation sucked and it wasn't at all polished. The initial demo was done in DBPro and then I was working on porting it to Unity3D, but never finished.

This was the DBPro Demo (warning: poor language):

And this was the last video of the Unity3D demo, where I was working on the battle system

Then restarted again, and added placeholder characters, but as you can see, I didn't get very far:

Quote: "What about ideas which never made it to the forum? My shader based image editor, for example?"

That is a good idea. However, I don't think I have screenshots for it. Following the success of bedroom coded games like Undertale and Stardew Valley, I did end up inspired to try again and I do have an idea sitting in my head, I tried prototyping a little on RPG Maker and also started something within Unity. I liked how both are essentially RPG's, with Undertale having one of the objectives of the game to not kill anything and to resolve conflict differently (and getting a passive play through) and Stardew Valley (which I do realise is a Harvest Moon clone) drew a lot of importance out of normal people and was able to create a story and meaningful and interesting interactions between characters. Which Undertale really did well too, creating a bond between the player and the characters of the game. I wanted to do something to try and achieve that, whilst being a bedroom coded game. I had an idea I liked, I take the expectations of a cliche RPG setting, but...do something different with it, that's hopefully meaningful. It is the project I aim to complete, but at the moment, my actual focus is web development, which is what I am aiming to switch to as a career, so that's taking priority in my coding time.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2017 19:54
I remember those, get back on it! :p
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2017 00:07
I'll get back on it eventually Too much to do, so little time. Working on web development stuff, working on a qualification, running a roleplaying group, putting aside time to chill and play some game/watch TV, full time job and now working towards my motorcycle license. It's just fitting things in.

But here is another, I forgot about, and for some reason, I cannot find my thread for it (I wonder if it got deleted somehow). Which is a shame, because I made a demo for it. It was called it "Hydroxide", I think I was playing Hydro Thunder at the time when I decided to make that and wanted to make an arcade racer.

And my Text Adventure for the Text Adventure Competition back in 2008.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/133818
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2017 00:53
Hahahhaaaaaaa! I remember that one, Sepp! Hydroxide! I made the speedboat model if I recall correctly !
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2017 19:02
Ah yes, you definitely did. I might have to check one of my old hard drives to see if I still have the project.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2017 03:06
thanks for sharing sad to see so many interesting projects halted some look quite promising

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2017 06:38 Edited at: 20th Apr 2017 06:39
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2017 16:26 Edited at: 20th Apr 2017 16:27
I'm very bad at finishing projects. I seem to lose interest once I accomplish the main task and the rest becomes trivial.

Here's a game I was doing for RetroJame 2013, ChipMonk

Barbarian (Palace Software) remake. I'd really like to finish this one.

An asteroids game:

Zelda clone. I've worked on and off this for years, first in DBP, then GLBasic and finally AGK. Now i'll have to update it for AGK2!

I have multiple web-based projects I haven't finished yet either, including my own Plex-like video system. And I gave up on my java iTunes clone a decade ago. It wasn't complete it was pretty functional. You couldn't sync phones with it, but it support more music formats than iTunes did, internet radio streams, and DAAP support for broadcasting. There was also partial support for the store.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
programming is ace
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2017 19:05
Loved Barbarian
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2017 14:38 Edited at: 25th Apr 2017 14:40
Quote: "And my Text Adventure for the Text Adventure Competition back in 2008"
I remember that! Ah, I loved judging that competition, and yours was a pretty good attempt if I remember rightly (who won BTW?). Nice if it, or any of them really, were fleshed out into proper games rather than small demos...

Damn, I miss those text adventure competition days.... I remember programming a MUD in DBP, getting so far with testing with some users here, and then getting bored, and more interested in judging the competition when Rami talked about it.

Right, time to find a decent emulated version of Gnome ranger... Hmm, nah, just fire up the iPad and get on with DOTT I think... Party like it's 1999...

Cheers
Current fave quote : Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2017 15:31 Edited at: 25th Apr 2017 15:38
I am the master of the unfinished project! Here's a small sample of what I have on my website. (More information on each project is available there. www.teamdefiant.co.uk/software)

The 3D Game.

Made for fun, got it to the minimum needed to be called "finished" then gave up.

In Car media player

Just plain got bored after the audio plugin I was using in DBPro would crash out when trying to load certain mp3 files. The ID3 tag reader I wrote wasn't very good and took ages to read album art from files. I tried to remake it in VB6, but quickly stopped.

Insanity Engine (Waypointing)

I don't know why I stopped this, maybe I started something else? I plan to continue this as I have loads of ideas for it. As you can see it worked, just needed a bit of smarter logic.

The 3D Game (Remake)

Again, no idea why I stopped this. Probably started playing a new xbox game? I do know that I have 6 versions of this remake on my pc, all getting no further than what's in the video pretty much.

3D Bang! Bang! 2

Things were going great with this. It featured a fully procedural level system, dynamic weather effects, stereoscopic 3D and it ran on my awful laptop.
It stalled when I started to create the UI editor.

I couldn't get (either BBB or Blue) gui to work properly so gave up.

Legend of Zelda (Android remake)

I stopped working on it almost 2 years ago now when I couldn't get the raycasts to work properly so the camera kept clipping into the terrain/walls. After a solid week of trying I just stopped. (Now, I believe it's because raycasts didn't work on scaled objects.)
I want need to restart this project as the plan was to use this Hyrule field level as a test bed for my own Android game engine so I can make that killer game and make billions, but there are far too many good xbox games to play...
Signature removed by mod because it's larger than 600x120... please resize and try again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:15:04
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:15:04