Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Dropped Projects (An idea!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
There are so many promising games that have been dropped for one reason or another, I was thinking that someone could make a website for all of these dropped projects that could be finished by anyone who wants to. It could be called the DPZ (Dropped Projects Zone)

(I hope this idea doesn't sound too stupid! I got hit by a rock and the idea came to me.)

This is still Chessplaer! I just decided to spell my handle correctly!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 01:30
sort of like rebirthing projects isnt such a bad idea.

what i would probably do tho is to bin the source code and media into two pockets.

This way if the media was available some other coder could re-write his version with the media instead of hacking through an ugly mess of commands that ended up in the trash due to design flaws, and vice versa
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 01:34
I would have like 10

I only posted on like 4 though

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 01:45 Edited at: 16th Dec 2003 01:46
we get 100 RPG that send

this is as far as i got

--Dr 0--

Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Ha! That's nothing compared to the abandoned demo of a 2D action game I started:

Take that... I started it and abandoned it today (well, about five minutes).

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 02:33
I sorta started a site like this...only it features complete DBP games...but I guess a drop-out section would be cool...
(the site is already complete and uploaded, unfortunatly everyone else can see it but me for some reason.) I'll be announcing it soon anyway..

Visit our new site! : http://www.megatoncreations.tk

I will finish what I st..Hey! There is a penny on the floor!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 05:06
Might wanna change the name though, DPZ looks a bit to much like DBZ.

I've lost 25lb playing Dance Dance Revolution, no really!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
no, it will be find as DPZ, as long as our mascot isn't a buff anime guy with black hair that turns yellow when he gets really mad.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 05:24
this will actually be a really good idea, but you would have to set a standard for how much is actually done.
eventually we will, hopefully, get a vast database of MEDIA and small programs people could use

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 06:38
heh. maybe you could talk Mojo and Magic into lettin ya have the Equilibrium media..heh

I'm sick of Signatures
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 09:52
Humm, if you lot are serious i may be able to make the website....

If you are serious though!

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like a jolly good idea!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 12:47
That would be pretty cool, sorta like unsolved cases - I can imagine a little room full of dusty boxes and files .

I have quite a lot of models that I could contribute, maybe not what your after - but I suppose an archive of abandoned code and models for anyone to rummage through is great for newbies looking for inspiration.

Most of the models are textured, not great work but if anyone ever needs the Delorean from Back To The Future or Timmy from Southpark, I'm your man!.

Van-B

Next time he runs past, GRAB HIM!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I have thought of a good name for it....Room 101!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 01:28
lol, I have 2 browsers open at the moment, I opened Raven's thread in one, and this in the other. Read the comment about Room 101 in Raven's thread and as soon as I switch to this browser, I see it's spreaded already lol.

I just thought that was funny...

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Chessplayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 01:31 Edited at: 17th Dec 2003 01:35
Wow! Glad to see so much interest in it!

@Van B
Models would be great!

@Martyn
Thx for the offer, but I think I'm going to get some webspace (If I don't, I'll keep you in mind!)

Indi, could you please clarify what you mean...

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 02:15
I think he means that if you decide to take up a project, you shouldn't have to use the source code that is already there because it could be so horrible that it's unusable. So you should keep the Media and Source seperate.

MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 02:31
But even failed projects can teach you something. Not least why the project failed. And even failed projects can have good solutions for some things, so it would actually be a good idea.

Imho.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 02:56
Yeah, but the source would still be there, just not bundled with the media.

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 04:41
i think this is a great idea! lets hope it doesnt go under

MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 05:16
Well, it would be sort of embarrassing if Room 101's first item was Room 101.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 07:36
the irony...

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that the media should be kept with the code. Media could be used as a template, and drawn over if you don't like it. Media often has to remain exactly the same size to work properly.

Pincho.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 11:19
when i create projects I have a folder called media where it all lives and so its a breeze to remove if required. I guess not everyone is so neat in that regard.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I do that sometimes if I have two sets of graphics, like 16 million colours, and 256 colours. Otherwise I don't bother. My projects are thrown together, not even indented, or Rem'd half the time.

Pincho.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 14:34
Ouch, that's messy

Btw Indi, what happened to your website? Earlier the link wasn't working and now it's gone from your sig/profile. Decided to abandon it?

Chessplayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 01:44 Edited at: 18th Dec 2003 01:46
Sorry for my lack of replies, I've been trying to figure how to upload stuff to my webspace . Any suggestions whatsoever are welcome. Here's what I've cooked up so far:

1. License agreement
In giving this information to DPZ, you acknowledge that it has become the property of the GPL. Any code you access from this website may not be sold for profit of any kind. You can only submit projects that are over 300 lines long. (How does the limit sound?)

(This License is ditzy, I need to come up with a better one!)

2. The name of the project
DPZ sounds too anime-ish. I was thinking of changing it to DPC (Dead Project Center), but that is too close to DBC. I'm open for suggestions.

3. Website
I'm currently working on the website and am open for *any* suggestions on what sort of content to put on it. (Suggestions such as the following: What content to put on it, What pages need to be on it, what mascot to use, etc.)

either post your suggestions or email them to me at

webmaster@iwccichess.com

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Room 101...said that earlier. As for not using the code for profit, well that isn't necessary really. A dropped project code is probably going to include stuff that has been copied and pasted from somewhere else. You would be saying that people can't use any copy and pasted code. 300 lines seems like a lot, you could have no limit, but delete stuff that doesn't seem helpful to anyone.

Pincho.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 11:39
Just have different section for different stages of completion:

- Just started
- Significantly Done
- Almost finished

You should also be able to upload a description of the game any why you abandonned it.

Chessplayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 02:07 Edited at: 19th Dec 2003 02:13
Here's a banner:

Any suggestions would be helpful.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 02:31
exeat

Guy set it up for me and wont reply after 6 months of request emails for no reason whatsoever, I gave him months of my time and many hours of work from my skillset to be stuffed around like that.

he can choke on that name now for all i care.

what an arse, he wont reply to my requests to take over the domain name and so karma will give him cancer or we can prey for a random misfortune.

He wont reply to mails so i told him to get fornacated but i used rougher words than that.
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 04:46
@indi

"Guy set it up for me and wont reply after 6 months of request emails for no reason whatsoever,"

Guy has pretty much disappeared from off the face of the earth. I, as well as many others, have wondered where he has gone including Rich, so I don't think that it is anything personal.

But I'm not sure that you can say "for no reason whatsoever" because he could have gotten in a serious accident or something or even died.
Unless you know that he is alive, well, and is able to respond its jumping a bit to conclusions to say "for no reason whatsoever".

But if you do know those things then I apologize for sounding critical, and I would ask if you could please let me know what happened as I, and I think most everyone who has been to the RGT forums or ordered from him, would like to know what occured as I am pretty concerned about him. He seemed like a decent guy.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
People have posted that he still logs on to other sites. I saw some of his posts about 6 months ago. He was posting on a magic site because he is a hobbiest magician. At that time, he was not posting on RGT or responding to Emails.

Pincho.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 11:44
I think I'd be as pissed as Indi if that had happend to me. Personally I always thought he was a nice bloke - but you don't just abandon people like he did. All we've been told is that he's having a break from computers, I don't see the correlation between having a break from computers and treating people like s**t.

Van-B

Next time he runs past, GRAB HIM!
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 12:44
@Pincho

"People have posted that he still logs on to other sites. I saw some of his posts about 6 months ago. He was posting on a magic site because he is a hobbiest magician. At that time, he was not posting on RGT or responding to Emails."

I see. I wasn't aware that he did that. In that case, I guess that indi's anger with him is justified.

@VanB

"All we've been told is that he's having a break from computers"

Where did you hear this? I've been in the dark about what went on. All I know is that he had some computer accident or something and he had to pay like $9,000 in repairs or something close to that.
Chessplayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I have recently decided that I don't have the time or skill (Mainly, I'm lacking skill!) in creating and managing a website. If there are any volunteers who would like to take over Room 101, please email me at the address below:
webmaster@iwccichess.com

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 20:25 Edited at: 20th Dec 2003 20:26
ok...well I said something previously earlier but then again everyone allways ignores me anyway...

I'll try again since you want someone to take this over in the above post.

I started a site called Dark Basic Generation. It's a site dedicated to DBP games. Very very similar to PC gamer or EGM. IF you want to, I can create a seperate area for "Dropped Projects" but YOU will have to manage it and find projects to upload to it. Webspace is not a problem as we have more then enough...so if you are ineteresed we can discuss it further. Email me at megaton@excaver.com.

Here is the site: http://www.excaver.com/dbg/
Here is the thread: http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=21947&b=2

thank you

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 20:36 Edited at: 20th Dec 2003 20:46
Quote: "Well, I have recently decided that I don't have the time or skill (Mainly, I'm lacking skill!) in creating and managing a website."

A crying shame - it sounded like a great idea!

Quote: "IF you want to, I can create a seperate area for "Dropped Projects" "

Please do - reading all the above posts it seems that it is something a lot of people would like to see.

GOD exists and his name is Jonny Wilkinson

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 15:22
Uh megaton you should really ask me before you decide on anything like this hosted on my site.

Benjamin R Wharton
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 16:04
I did ask you >_<

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 17:14
Fight, fight, fight!!!

Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 12:43
ok how about hosting it on more than one site im totally willing to put it on my site if every1 agrees. the address could be sumthing like
?=wat you are calling it
www.?.simpro.org.uk

rich

Resist the power of the ring...
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 14:33
No, apparently hosting is not a problem he just lacks the time and skill to put this all together (thats what he told me) and I decited I don't have the time either...but I would still put it or a link to it if someone gathered up a bunch of dropped projects and hosted it.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 15:17
What!?! A website with a load of un-finished projects? Sounds a bit crappy to me.

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 15:53
Personally, this is one of the better ideas i've heard around here for ages, years actually.. Haven't read the whole thread, but keeping it open to various dev platforms could really see it flourish. Although it has been tried before. I the drama then was creating the site..

Anyway, If people could grab a project (or Art/Sounds) then add to it, then good ideas might have way of making it some form of completion.

Kevin Picone
Play Basic - Visible Worlds - Kyruss II
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 14:29
well ill build the site host it and then take it from there if its ok?

Resist the power of the ring...
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 14:46 Edited at: 24th Dec 2003 18:21
I'm sure it is.

I think you should have it like this:

There is a big list down the middle of the page, with the titles of the abandonned games and who submitted them.

When you click on one of them it opens a small window shich contains a description of the game and how far it is. There should also be two buttons there: Download Code and Download Media.

Code submitted must be fully remed.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 14:48 Edited at: 24th Dec 2003 14:49
Sounds like a brilliant idea to me...

One thing though... Noone has mentioned how the files/code etc will be handled on the site...

I recomend a database. It would make it alot easier for searching, and submitting/entering files etc. and will be a structure for future development if/when other platforms are introduced and a comunity is built up...

Hoep I Helped...

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Chessplayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Jess, great idea about the database! If you would like to create the website for Project 101, just email me at:
webmaster@iwccichess.com

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 07:41
Lol, I only know what to do... Not how to do it... Sorry...

I would love to give it a shot, but it wouldn't be much besides HTML ( cos that's the only web-based language i know atm )

Actually, come to think of it, it would be a great way to introduce myself to the world of SQL... mabey I will give it a shot... you never know... lol...

I'll think about it...

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:11:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:11:57