Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Is anyone else annoyed with how much touch interfaces are taking over?

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 08:09 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2017 08:16
I personally hate it. I prefer interfaces with actual clicky, tactile buttons any day. Sure, touch interfaces absolutely have their places, like on smartphones or tablets. I totally agree with those uses. But it seems that a wide variety of consumer electronic devices, which would normally have clicky buttons, are being taken over by touch interfaces.

For example, I recently received a Samsung Gear VR for my birthday. It's pretty awesome and all, but the main input (besides the orientation of your head) is a little five button touch interface on the side of the unit. It's incredibly finicky and heavily hinders, in my opinion, the usability and functionality of the headset.

Another example, I recently saw an unboxing video for a pair of wireless headphones. How are they controlled? Another five button touch interface on the side, which the user can't even see when using the thing! Who thought that would be a good idea? Even if the buttons are contoured so the user can find them, the user will almost certainly make accidental inputs while attempting to find the correct button.

And then the buttons on the bottom of Android smartphones, ahhh!! Thankfully the home button is tactile on most phones, but the application, menu, and back buttons are usually touch based. Even after owning multiple phones like this for four years, I still accidentally touch those buttons all the time.

I've even heard of cars where all of the buttons and knobs on the center console have been replaced with individual touch switches! And I'm not talking about Teslas, which use a touchscreen (the added functionality of a touchscreen justifies it IMO). How in the world is the driver supposed to adjust anything without taking their eyes off the road???

I don't really have an issue with touchscreens. It's mainly when a physical button, switch, dial, etc is replaced with a touch switch that really irks me. With a normal button, you input commands to the device by pressing in a specific place. This is something that's relatively difficult to accidentally do. But when merely coming in contact with part of a device commands the device to do something, it's a recipe for constant accidental input.

It seems to be a case of form and marketability over functionality. Perhaps other people don't mind it or maybe they even like it? I personally think it's a catastrophe in modern product design. What do you guys think?
"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Myself
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 08:37
It's more touchscreen than touch switch, but the MacDonalds screens are horrendous. No matter what you press, you end up with MacDonalds food, and that is just the worst outcome I can imagine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 09:13
@BV

I have to agree with the OP. My old Nokia 6210 with T9 Predictive text was fantastic. You could text one handed, without looking, and know exactly what you've entered. Have you tried sending a text with a modern smartphone? It requires your FULL attention, and even then you're more likely to spend most of your time correcting the auto-correct than actually entering your message - no wonder they've been banned for driving!

And the lag you get with touch devices often make fast action arcade games feel lacking. Bring back the hard-wired kempston!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 17:18
I agree completely - only more so! I'm discovering the joys of posting from an iPad and am really struggling with the controls. On more than one occasion a stray finger has touched the Post Reply button before I've completed my message.

@BatVink I feel sorry for you.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 21:46
What's more concerning is when you go to Burger King, try their touch screens and STILL end up with a McDonalds. Or go to a Byron burger, thinking by paying £10 for a burger that it'd be all special and gourmet and fancy, to find it's not that much nicer than what you get in Wetherspoons, I guess pretentiousness is expensive.

With the discussion at hand. There's appliances like washing machines that do it too and with NFC, so you can save your programs in your phone. I am in a half mind about it, for some things, it can be nice an styling, maybe like on my soundbar, plus as I have my keyboard and controllers near it, I can accident put something against it and push a button, I'd need my fingers to touch it. So in my set up, it's least convenient, as it is responsive too, plus I still have my soundbar remote, if I want actual buttons. I didn't like it on my old TV, especially as they weren't always clear when I am pressing. But the monitor I replaced it with, has a "joystick" control on it sitting at the bottom and tucked out of the way, which I think is a better option on a monitor that having buttons on the front or side (particularly if you're trying to eliminate a bezel as much as you can) or having some form of touch response. It is logical in how you use it. That I think is the sort of thing that should be the future with screens getting thinner and bezels becoming more non-existent.

I agree that they do have their place, but at least as a consumer, I have a choice where I end up spending my money and one phrase that Jeku used to say in discussions here, "speak with your wallet", which is a phrase that makes a lot more sense to me now that I've worked in customer services and dealing with complaints (just because somebody is unhappy, doesn't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things, but if a lot of people don't like it and don't spend their money, then they have to adapt). At the end of the day, people will design things to what they think people want, if we don't want them, we don't buy them and if they aren't selling well enough, then they have to go back to the drawing board. And manufacturers will often test the water with new concepts first before they go 'all in'. Hence I've seen ranges of products get released, that don't last long, but some that do. I doubt I'd get headphones with any touch controls, in fact, I am very happy with my HyperX's and doubt they'll get replaced for a long time.

A car with them, would not appeal to me at all, but then I am learning to ride a motorcycle within the next two months and planning on getting my bike within that time, so a car with touch controls will DEFINITELY not appeal to me, I cannot drive a car.

However, some people do like it, oddly. So as long as the market gives me stuff I want with buttons and them what they want with touch controls, I am indifferent. If they phase many forms of button controlled things, I might be miffed. ESPECIALLY if I have to use a touch screen keyboard, but I sincerely doubt they'd replace membrane or mechanical keyboards, but sit as an alternative. Mainly because feedback is essential for a lot of things, like touch typing as well as gaming. Image playing an FPS with just touch controls? I'd lose my mind.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 22:03
You make a lot of good points, Sepp! I guess it's true that the company has to test the waters with a new product before going all in, perhaps that's what we're seeing.

You also brought up a good point about them on the soundbar, where it's harder for other objects to accidentally press the buttons. I suppose when it's a stationary device that isn't heavily manipulated by the users, like a washing machine or a soundbar, it seems to work pretty well. But when it's something small and mobile, like a phone, gahh!!

I've gotta admit, I've used the new touch based home button on Apple's new iPhone 7, and it's actually not that bad. It's touch sensitive, of course, but you must apply pressure before it will do anything. And the vibrational feedback actually feels pretty identical to a real tactile button. When I first pressed it on one of the displays at the store I work at, I didn't know that it was a touch button, and I didn't notice it or think anything of it. When someone later told me it wasn't actually a physical button, I was rather taken aback! So I think touch based buttons do have an application where they require pressure to operate and give physical feedback. I think the applications are niche, though, and mainly for style. Or as Apple claims, "waterproofing".

If a phone with a touch screen had that kind of interface, where you could actually touch items on the screen, but would need to apply pressure before it would do anything (and it would provide vibrational feedback as well), that would be neat. Apple's 3D touch is sort of like that... But it needs a lot of improvement.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
I hate those stupid non-buttons so much.
320x224
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2017 07:17
My sound bar has touch buttons. I have put small blobs of blue-tack along the top so I can find the right buttons in anything other than bright sunlight
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2017 17:11 Edited at: 26th Feb 2017 17:12
I agree! I bought my grandma's boyfriend a laptop for his birthday, and it is a Windows 10 touchscreen one. I originally thought it would be great and he wouldn't need a mouse, but interfaces use a lot of "hover" actions traditionally that you can't get with touchscreen. You can't simply retrofit or tack a touchscreen onto a traditional interface that's always been mouse-enabled, without sacrificing a lot of the original behaviour and losing features.
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2017 18:42
Quote: "You can't simply retrofit or tack a touchscreen onto a traditional interface that's always been mouse-enabled, without sacrificing a lot of the original behaviour and losing features."
Much agreed! See, here's what I think would be neat. It would be an interface like Windows, where there's both hover and click functionality like you mentioned. Simply touching the screen would only be equivalent to moving the mouse around or hovering, and wouldn't actually click. In order to click on something, the user would not only need to touch the screen in that location, but they would also need to apply an intentional amount of pressure. The device would at that moment provide a realistic haptic feedback (not just a simple vibration, but more like what Apple does with the iPhone 7 or those haptic touchpads). This way, a person could move their hand and fingers all over the screen and it wouldn't do anything unless a certain amount of pressure was applied, and it would feel like the screen physically 'clicked'.

I heard several years back, but haven't heard anything since, that researchers were experimenting with using electrostatic phenomena to give touchscreens realistic texture feedback. For example, the entire surface of the touch screen would have a static charge applied to it. As the user slid their finger across the screen, this static charge would be varied with proportion to the individual microscopic bumps the user's finger would feel on a real surface (like wood, metal, leather, etc), generating a feeling of the actual material. Now that would be neat, a surface that can simulate the texture of most any other surface.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2017 15:14
Quote: "you're more likely to spend most of your time correcting the auto-correct"

This! +1
Signature removed by mod because it's larger than 600x120... please resize and try again.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 00:17
I been saying this years ago! Traditional input methods and touch screens are two very different interfaces. Writing one UI and expecting it to be effective on both is as silly as writing a console game and being lazy about porting it to PC.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 01:03 Edited at: 26th Apr 2017 01:09
Much agreed. I was recently watching some of the UK Top Gear (with the original 3, of course) and they were reviewing this one very nice car. Many thing about it were just lovely, but then it was all ruined with a stupid touch screen interface. Simply setting the clock required the user to go into multiple menus.

I was also watching a YouTube review of another car, also rather nice, but even controlling the heated seats required you to go through a couple different menus on the touch screen, with no physical button available. For heated seats! It was like Main Menu > Comfort > Climate Control > Heated Seats > Driver Seat> Increase Temperature.

Not to mention, so many interfaces in cars these days are sooo laggy and slow. Either use a low powered processor and give it easy software to run, or use a fancy processor and put fancy software on it. But please, don't write a UI with all sorts of fancy animations and gradients and transitions and expect it to run well on the cheapest microcontroller you could fit! I've seen very few cars that had a touch screen interface that actually worked even remotely smoothly.

I have a '92 Nissan Pathfinder, and the screen in that thing is instant! It's only a segment display that shows the time, sure, but wow! When I turn the time adjustment knob (yes, a real knob!), the screen reflects the change I've made instantly!

This morning however, I was quite pleased to hear that Vizio's newest line of TVs will go back to using regular 'dumb' remote controls, with actual clicky buttons you can push, instead of a stupid smartphone based interface they apparently used for their previous lineup. Yay
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2017 08:32
Lol! Today my sister, who works at a hair salon, cut my hair for me. While doing so, she showed me a hairdryer that belongs to the salon. It, a device that blows hot air, had a touch screen.

The notion of a hairdryer executing conditional branches and writing to VRAM is honestly just novel.

And I will note this: the touch screen interface certainly didn't add any functionality to the device. The GUI had a couple buttons for on/off, fan speed, "ions" (I guess it prevents static build up), and a heavily over styled dial for controlling temperature. No other menu to speak of, and all of those controls could certainly have been realized with physical buttons and knobs. It has to be marketing, that's the only reason they would have done that!

It made my day though, to be honest.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2017 11:51
And there was me thinking hair dryers only had 3 settings, off, on and super on.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2017 13:57
By now, I'm sure most of you have seen the refrigerators with touchscreens on the door. Why, I still haven't figured that out yet. But, I was at Lowes over the weekend and came across something far more confusing. Normal doors on the fridge, looked like all the others, until I opened it. The entire back wall inside the fridge was a tv screen! I don't recall the brand but it was probably a samsung.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2017 20:31
Lol, that's bizzare. I can't think what functionality that would be supposed to bring.

It seems that refrigerators have often been on the front of internet connected devices besides computers. Like back in the early 2000s, a company (I think maybe even LG) released a refrigerator with an internet connected screen. It cost like 14,000 dollars and almost nobody bought it, but very interesting for 2000 or so.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2017 22:08
Quote: "The entire back wall inside the fridge was a tv screen! I don't recall the brand but it was probably a samsung."

I know Samsung do one. The way I've always seen these is, yes, they're all "future" and stuff and the tech is no doubt pretty cool, but is one extra thing to break. Add the fact these won't be cheap and people will expect them not to break at the price they're paying...but as is the way with electronics, they can break down at any time. So cheaper models actually end up being more reliable, just less flashy, but it's where you store your food, reliability should come first. Same with this fancy washing machines, you want something to clean your clothes, not a fancy digital interface or NFC or a wireless internet connection.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2017 02:13
It was $3500. Which sounds like a ridiculous amount to me for a fridge. Then again, my grandma spend over $8k on her fridge (Subzero with custom panels) and it didn't even have an ice dispenser. Personally, I want a Smeg fridge cause they look retro and I dig the name.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2017 23:19 Edited at: 4th May 2017 23:23
And to take it one step further with Smart Devices. Anybody annoyed by how much things need updating?

I remembered why I don't play many Smart Phone games. I needed to kill some time and thought I'd boot some of the games on my phone and came to this:

And this:

And this:

And this

I'm sure it'd have been great if I was in a 4G area and on an Unlimited Data contract. And the amount that say "A Wi-Fi Connection is recommended". Or that software can only exist for a temporary time before they completely pull it down. (Some Smart TV users might be disgruntled by things like Skype, which pulled their Smart TV support, which people no doubt bought the TV Skype cameras for).
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2017 08:21 Edited at: 5th May 2017 08:21
Quote: "Anybody annoyed by how much things need updating? "
Yes this! Ah, it grinds my cylinder rings!

Spotify is the most annoying culprit. You have absolutely no choice as to when it downloads new updates (even if you're on a metered connection, which is a massive no-no in my book), and it installs the new updates when you restart the application, again without your choice. And the changes they make... Probably something like 10% improvements, 30% moving pieces of the interface around for no reason, and 60% taking major steps backwards in quality. Spotify, while incredibly useful and I'm thankful for the service, has got to be one of the worst pieces of software I've ever used.

Anyway, but yeah, it seems like every software updates obnoxiously often these days. And interfaces are all going downhill, in my opinion. Form really is taking massive precedence over functionality these days, and it's quite sad really.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2017 10:15
Quote: "And interfaces are all going downhill, in my opinion. Form really is taking massive precedence over functionality these days, and it's quite sad really."

I agree with a number of programs this can be the case. Spotify being the good example...and Skype. I swear Skype gets worse for performance with every update, so I've stopped letting it update. Spotify is a great service, but I find it's sluggish to use...even to access downloaded music, so I can't go "oh it must just be latency" or if it is, then that's poorly designed, especially on the phone version of the app when I'm going to be listening to Spotify out and about and not connected to WiFi...or my bedroom where the both the WiFi signal and phone network signal are terrible, hence I have my PC and PS4 wired up. I may end up investing in a WiFi extender for my room, all I'd need to do is run it off of the splitter I've got my PS4 and PC connected to.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2017 18:11
I've barely touched Skype since MS bought it out. They killed MSN messenger and figured, hey lets just buy someone elses and destroy that too!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 02:55
Conversely, I have an addiction to updating everything. I love watching those status bars fill up and things always feel fresh and tighter after an update, even though there's a good chance they've fixed a few bugs and added a few more in the process.

Maybe I'll make a game called Progress Bar Quest that involves watching bars fill up while helping you earn points to make them prettier.
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 06:25
I would like updating things if everything didn't break after updates!

Ah, you could incorporate that into your game. Some updates would be good, others would be bad... Something like that.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 27th May 2017 08:42
Quote: "Maybe I'll make a game called Progress Bar Quest that involves watching bars fill up while helping you earn points to make them prettier."

Next cookie clickers incoming

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 01:17 Edited at: 28th May 2017 01:18
Quote: "Next cookie clickers incoming"

I already wrote a cheat for that game, bring it on!

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2017 13:04
Ha And i thought i was the only one who hates touchscreens (well no i like them but not on.... everything... )
Your signature has been erased by a mod
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2017 12:01
They're taking over! Run folks, RUN!!! Blackberry's newest phone, the Keyone, has a physical keyboard at the bottom. Very nice touch. And then they made it touch sensitive!!!!! Actually, to be honest, it doesn't sound all that bad. It sounds like it adds a lot of neat functionality, as a matter of fact. My 2 year contract on my S6 is just about up, so I'm considering it for my next phone...

Just thought I'd note the irony in giving a phone a physical keyboard, then making said physical keyboard touch sensitive.
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2017 20:01 Edited at: 9th Jun 2017 20:05
If the touchscreens are taking over now, imagine the rage around the idea of infrared networking back in the day?

Because i just cannot see how else infrared networking is still an important dependency module in windows 10 when bluetooth is not.
Anyone ever wonder about that? About why our gadgets if studied closley have some really weird and obscure protocol or port or whatever that nobody ever used, Most people dont even know what its for but its still there? all over the place? hauntinng us?

LIkw early mid 2000s every latop had firewire ir mini firewire. Anyone actually seen someone use those? Let aslone actually had anything for it? Did you guys know that there used to be firewire flashdrives???? that nobody has... ever seen but everyone is is confident about that urban legend about them....

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2017 05:59
Quote: "LIkw early mid 2000s every latop had firewire ir mini firewire. Anyone actually seen someone use those? Let aslone actually had anything for it? Did you guys know that there used to be firewire flashdrives???? that nobody has... ever seen but everyone is is confident about that urban legend about them....
"

I had a camcorder in that time period that connected to PC/laptop via firewire
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2017 18:38
Quote: "
I had a camcorder in that time period that connected to PC/laptop via firewire"

Oh yeah, i forgot that thats what they were for....
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2017 02:37
GUYS!!!! I figured this would be at least somewhat relevant to this thread...

I bought a new printer, one by Canon, and it came with an ACTUAL PHYSICAL CD FOR THE DRIVERS!!!!!! They didn't just tell me to go to some website to download the drivers!!! Yes!!!!!!!!! This is win for logical and functional product design, IMO.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic about this, I really was genuinely pleased to see the thing come with a real CD.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2017 04:38
A growing number of new laptops and PCs dont even come with optical drives anymore.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:13:56
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:13:56