Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Worms 3D (Again!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I got Worms 3D last week, and I wanted to add my comments to the other post, but it has auto-locked itself.

Worms 3D has all sorts of problems. The camera, and stuff has already been mentioned. The explosions only occur right next to a worm. The levels are made from square sections instead of random height meshes. Hogs Of War is far better than Worms 3D! Good things about it are the great models, and scenes! I love that fairground level. It has some nice little side games like jumping off a huge beanstalk to parachute down, and collect targets. Although Worms 3D has many faults it is still a good game. It's worth getting because there aren't many other games like it. If you don't have Hogs of War, get that instead.

Pincho.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 12:40
I was getting a bit suspicious that the screenies were all taken at optimum scenes to make the game look cooler. I mean obviously everyone does this, but from the screenies I could'nt tell the levels were at all blocky, it looks damn cool from the screenshots.

I'll most likely get it for the X-Box, making it a multiplayer game - multiplayer games have the advantage that niggles can be forgiven if the game is a good laugh.

Kevil was working on something similar to Worms3D, hope he finishes it and I hope the levels are better than Worms, his destructable terrain demo was really cool.

Van-B

Next time he runs past, GRAB HIM!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 13:20
i got's it for the PC... it's pretty cool ^_^
like they just dragged out the Z of Worms ... me likes it

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 13:32
I didn't like it much (and am going to sell mine on eBay later) - the camera is a real pain mainly...
I brought Worms Armaggedon to play instead...

Did you bring the cloak of invisibility ? Oh damn, I left it in the bag of forgetfulness...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
When I say that the levels are made up from squares, it is not blocky. It has mesh destruction, but the meshes are not natural shaped. The levels are made from jigsaw pieces that are like oval/squares.

Pincho.
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 14:56
i`v just played the demo but i like it yes the camera a pain but it not that bad. but some how it not as fun as 2D Worms game but better then any of the trys at 3D lemming.

--Dr 0--

Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
The levels have to be shaped weird, its to hide the volygon system they are using to have destructable landscape.
Unless someone invents voxal accelerators, we cant have truely destructable tarrian on nicely shaped landscapes.

Check this out:
http://advsys.net/ken/voxlap/voxlap03.htm

That shows the potential of voxals, most people underestimate them a lot. If only we had the hardware the resolution on that could be half-decent

Anyway, I think Worms 3D #2 will be much better.
Worms 3D is a great game, dispite its problems.
Its revolutionary in many ways.
The game will be refined and improved no dought in later 3d versions

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Kevil made destructable landscapes in DBClassic! It had a realistic look too! It wasn't like a bunch of squares.

Pincho.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 17:16
Wasn't Outcast done with voxels? That looked really good.

Sly D
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a link to Kevil's destructable landscapes demo? I would like to see it, sounds cool.

A cute looking koala with a WHAT!? THEY can't use Kalashnikovs, can they?
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's the code! You'll need the enhanced version of DB! You also need a texture. It crashes my computer for some reason. It worked last time I tried it! Can't think what I've changed.

Pincho.

Sly D
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm doesn't seem to be working, but never mind i'll fix that later

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 19:31
Hmz, two things:

1. That's not really my destructable landscape demo, that's more my destructable matrix demo. I now have a demo in which you can destroy a mesh landscape. (not just a mesh though) So this demo can contain tunnels and things like that.

2. I never had DBC Enhanced myself, so I don't where you got that from. You either need DBC or DBPro. In my destructable landscape (mesh) demo, you won't need anything as I have uploaded an exe for it. To run the source, you'll need DBPro, but don't think you'll be able to use it one of your games as it is not so easy to use right now. You can find this demo at the codebase. I just uploaded it (because of this thread).

Kevil
Sly D
Years of Service
User Offline
Great, downloading it now!

Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Does it allow overhangs?
Im quite impressed if you have a truely destrucable demo.

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 12:16
Go on the Codebase, it'll be the top one or near the top. It works on DBC or DBP. I was really impressed by it.

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 17:32
Yeah, it allows overhangs. Only problem with it is proper texturing and the creation of such a landscape is not easy. I can convert meshes to landscapes like this, but small details will be lost.

And I also would want it to be faster. I thought we were getting direct vertex access in DBP, but I still haven't seen that. Also multi-pass rendering would be good for texturing (I hope that will ever come in DBP).

Kevil
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 21:55
Can you make a demo with an explosion (just a ghosted, orange sphere) and where the terrain is destroyed as the explosion grows, rather than all disappearing at the same time. Or would this be too hard to do?

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 22:08
No, it's not hard to do, but I don't really have time for it. And I don't really see the point of doing that. Of course, when you use it in a game, you'll need that to cover up the sudden change, but this is a mere demonstration of the destructable terrain.

Kevil
Sly D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 22:48 Edited at: 17th Dec 2003 22:48
Still, I think it is really great!

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 06:34
could someone post an executable for me? i wana see it, but umm...my computer hates me (shhhh! dont tell anyone )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:36:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:36:06