Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Nintendo Switch

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2017 10:51
Anyone get one?

I did and it's awesome. Only got Zelda as it's the only decent game available for now. But i'm really enjoying just how big the game is! It's a beautiful game but retains what makes the Legend of Zelda a great game.
Signature removed by mod because it's larger than 600x120... please resize and try again.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 8th Mar 2017 20:38 Edited at: 8th Mar 2017 20:38
I got one as well. Zelda's absolutely brilliant. There's so much to do but the game never feels like it's cramped or it's too empty. I also got Snipperclips and Fast RMX and would recommend both.
"All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding" - damo4prez
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2017 23:05
Either of you had dead pixels on your screen? I guess that's been a big issue with the Switch and Nintendo claims it's normal.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2017 17:34
Quote: "I guess that's been a big issue with the Switch and Nintendo claims it's normal."
SIlly goose! Of course it's normal. Nothing's perfect, you know! Hey, dead pixel here, dead pixel there, what's the difference? You can still see most of the game! /sarcasm

Yeah, sort of irks me that they just play it off that way. Like, either fix your manufacturing processes to have better yield or fess up to the people who paid 300 dollars for your console and get them a new one with a screen that works correctly. Pft!
"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Myself
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2017 21:23
Quote: "Either of you had dead pixels on your screen? I guess that's been a big issue with the Switch and Nintendo claims it's normal."

No, but it is normal for screens, just not common. The media seems to have blown Nintendo's response out of proportion though, because they will replace it for free with even 1 dead pixel. I've had dead pixels on many other devices (I actually had one on my 3DS and got it replaced for free from Nintendo after I bought it) but my switch is fine.
"All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding" - damo4prez
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2017 21:41
Pfft, screen will just get scratched by the dock soon anyway apparently, why sweat a pixel!
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2017 23:41
Quote: "Pfft, screen will just get scratched by the dock soon anyway apparently, why sweat a pixel!"

Fortunately mine hasn't scratched yet, but I ordered a glass screen protector to be safe. Just have to wait for it to arrive, until then i've been holding off really bringing it anywhere (not to say I haven't brought it anywhere, just haven't made a habit of it yet).
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2017 12:46
I've not had a good look at the screen, but i don't think i have any dead pixels. And since i got the carry case, it came with a screen protector which i fitted immediately.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with it. Especially with the scale of Zelda. Nintendo certainly know how to get the best out of their devices!

(If only you could transfer save files on your SD card to another device.)
Signature removed by mod because it's larger than 600x120... please resize and try again.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2017 12:14
Quote: "(If only you could transfer save files on your SD card to another device.)"

That one's a bit odd, not sure why they made it so you can't.

The one biggest complaint that I have, no one else seems to have ever mentioned. The headphone port on the switch is literally right next to the fan. When I plug headphones in, I constantly hear a low RPM buzzing.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2017 12:30
Fortunately, I've only ever used my switch as a docked console so never used the headphones. Perhaps I'll give it a try later to see what it's like.
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2017 17:03
I got me a Switch on release day and I love both the hardware and the new Zelda a lot

I didn't experience any issues with the device (no scratches, noises, whatever). For me the idea of having a home console that is also portable really shines right now, because I'm on a trip for work in Italy this week and I'm so glad I can still continue my adventure in Hyrule in the evening hours

And Breath of the Wild itself, oh my god, what a masterpiece again from the Big N... Totally deserved each of those perfect review scores! In my eyes easily the best game in at least the last ten years.
It feels so fresh with all those possibilities and the beautiful vast lively world around you, yet still so familiar with the story background and the overall Zelda-quality of gameplay and interactions. I can't see myself stop playing anytime soon

Once a few high quality multiplayer games are out (Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, etc.) we should organize a few TGC member battles!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2017 20:12
Quote: "And Breath of the Wild itself, oh my god, what a masterpiece again from the Big N... Totally deserved each of those perfect review scores! In my eyes easily the best game in at least the last ten years.
It feels so fresh with all those possibilities and the beautiful vast lively world around you, yet still so familiar with the story background and the overall Zelda-quality of gameplay and interactions. I can't see myself stop playing anytime soon "

It really does deserve the praise it gets. I was very worried about it since it sounded like it departed so far from what zelda games typically are (though, I'll admit that I felt the same before a link between worlds came out and that was still great), but it's truly a fantastic game. My biggest fear though, was the open world map. I get bored of a lot of open world games, because the map always feels like I'm exploring one area that just happens to be really big. With BotW though, I never feel like I'm stuck in one area, every section is like it's own little world. By far my favourite area is Lanayru (zora's area).
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2017 08:46
Quote: "I was very worried about it since it sounded like it departed so far from what zelda games typically are"

So was I, but as you said it still has just the right amount of Zelda flavour too it. I mean the battle mechanics are more or less what they were in 3D Zelda games since Ocarina of Time (targetting, distant vs. melee weapon trade offs, switching items etc.) but it's just far more diverse because you have so many possibilities how to approach a battle, like sneaky taking out one by one or go straight into it with explosives and such.
Everyone I've seen play it so far has some slightly different tactics to it, and that makes the experience very unique for each player. This also applies for the whole game in general. For example my friend has a totally different approach to advance in the game, what quests she takes and how new areas are explored - yet still everything a player does is progress somehow. Never seen something like that in this amount where it really promotes expressiveness and creativity.
It's an outstanding example of great game design.

Quote: "I get bored of a lot of open world games, because the map always feels like I'm exploring one area that just happens to be really big. With BotW though, I never feel like I'm stuck in one area, every section is like it's own little world."

Yeah there is always something to explore, a higher hill to climb, an interesting place to paraglide to or a group of enemies to attack and loot. The Great Plateau already felt open but after that the world truly is yours. And in the beginning when you come out of the cave as a weak young boy with nothing in your hands the survival aspect really kicks in nicely. It took me so many hours before I even saw the first living humans (except the old man) because I got side tracked in the wilderness so much.

Can't wait to get back to playing it
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2017 08:56
Quote: " It took me so many hours before I even saw the first living humans (except the old man)"

"Living" lol
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2017 10:55
Hehe, I meant more like signs of living humans as opposed to destroyed ancient stuff
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2017 18:54
Not a Zelda fan at all so I didn't get the Switch yet. I'll wait for Mario later this year
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2017 00:18
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2017 12:30
It's a bit late, but my switch works perfectly. Guess I'm the lucky one!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2017 18:22
Has anyone else picked up Mario Kart yet? I never got to play 8 on the Wii U (despite the fact that I own a Wii U) so getting to play it now is great.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:21:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:21:39