Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Exported OBJ file 3MB... blender only 1.1MB.. advice?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 22:15 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2017 22:55
I have a model I want to use, but its 3MB in the OBJ format. Its only 1.1MB in blender. In .x format is like 500KB, in FBX its 800KB. I can't figure out why its 3MB in OBJ. I've had other models, and its always been the close to blender.

The only thing I changed was smooth shading and and a few more polys. In FBX the texture isn't exported or I was use that. And the .x format is all jacked up.

Any advice? Maybe I am exporting an option over that I don't need?

I added the blender file. I made modifications that increased the size slightly.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2017 05:03
Sheesh, that model is poly-rich! I loaded it in to Blender and exported it as .3ds and loaded it in to Milkshape 3D. When I tried to get a poly count on it Milkshape crashed. Not sure what game you plan to make with it, but the poly count would definitely concern me as far as having a decent frame-rate.

Anyway, have you tried .3ds format?

So many games to code.....so little time.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, OK. Dang. I'll have to rework him then - no big deal still learning blender. I have not tried 3ds. I'll give that a go. I am going to animate him this weekend, and see how the performance is.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 21:49
Now that I think about it, .3ds will carry the mesh data, but I believe you will lose any animation data, so I don't think it will help you. Really, the only format that I have used (with DB Pro) that carries animation info is .x. Once you have that as .x you can export it from DP Pro as .dbo and it is more efficient. You might want to search the Blender forums about exporting .x. You also might want to try animating / exporting a simple model at first just to be sure you have it to where it will work before you go to all that work with this model.

So many games to code.....so little time.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2017 22:17
AFAIK .Obj won't support animation anyway, but regardless - the reason why the file is so big is that it'll be human readable - so saved as text pretty much. Where a binary file for example might use 4 bytes to store a float, an .Obj file will use 8, and there will be extras like tabs and stuff that bloat it even more.

If you can find it, CharacterFX is pretty good - easy to use and exports straight to .X files that are perfectly compatible. It would be quite tedious to use with a very high poly model as it is quite old, but I find it so much quicker to use than Blender, or any other animation system for that matter.
The code is dark and full of errors
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the tips! Very new to all this, and any knowledge is wonderful.

Van B, I will try that out. I have been having problems exporting to .x and .dae out of blender. I redid the model, and this one has 2278 polys.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2017 01:47
If you put a subdivision modifier on the mesh in Blender, and had the "apply modifiers" option checked in the OBJ export, it would have secretly multiplied your verts at export. Just a suggestion
JigSpace
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Turned out it had over 40K polygons. A bit too much for mobile, and with that many polys it should have looked much better lol. I redid a similar model, and it was only 2400 polys. I limited my use of subdivision modifier.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:34:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:34:24