Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Another dull copyright question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 23:17 Edited at: 16th Dec 2003 23:19
Hello

There have been many threads about copyrights and yet none that I have read have posed the question theat I would like to pose now:

There was a retro game making compo not long back and that got me to thinking, surely someone, somewhere owns the copyright to Pac Man (for example). So, if I were to right a Pac Man clone which was as near identical to the original as I could make it, would I be in breach of copyright?

This works for any game really. There are lots of Tetris clones around. Many even call themselves Tetris clones. So is that a breach of copyright?

Is it perhaps, similar to copying TV programmes onto VHS - technically illegal but everyone does it so no one cares?

Or is it perfectly OK to write a clone of a game as long as the code is your own and none of the original graphics or sounds are used?

An irrelevent question really because I haven't written a cloned game nor do I intend to. I was just curious that's all.

[Edit] That last statement is not true. I have written my own version of Pong (as I believe has every man and his dog), somebody must have a copyright on that - right?

GOD exists and his name is Jonny Wilkinson

JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 00:04
The thing to remember is that you can NOT copyright an idea...!

So if you do a game that involves a yellow wacca-wacca sounding head eating white dots in a blue maze chasing 4 ghosts when mr wacca-wacca eats a big pill, then in theory you'd be fine. But a judge may say that you are actually taking the mickey...

However...

Changing mr wacca-wacca to mr whooo-whooo, have a red head, and chasing skeletons and you'd have NO problems at all.

~ J ~
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 00:12
example:
Zelda Classic...its legal, (everything but the sprites) because it was all 100% orriginal, it took the idea of the orriginal Zelda and the creator made a clone of it.

technically, the way you should look at it, if it is taking profit away from someone else (they could be making money, but you are instead) then you are in violation, but that doesnt always stand.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
If a company decides that you are copying their games, they may ask you to make changes to your project. You should then make the changes, otherwise you might end up in court. Some games are being remade, like Sabre Wolf. You have to be careful, but you shouldn't worry too much.

Pincho.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 01:08
Interesting little gaming fact:

When Tetris was invented you couldn't copyright games. Therefore, everyone and his dog jumped on the amazing idea and the creator missed out on over a billion pounds.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 20:59
I'm sure you could but the fact is Teris is baced off a kind of puzzle given to KGB members. The orginal idea is old enough that you can use it withput worry of copywrite violations. Same thing with Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Sleeping Beautiy, Pinokio (spelling), and Beautiy and The Beast; you can use these stories anyway you like and Disney can't sue due to the fact the orignal story is Public Domain. Same thing aplies with classical music, you can use the original score all you want because after 75 years after a copywrite is issued it become public Domain, so you can see why I can't wait to turn 83.

I've lost 25lb playing Dance Dance Revolution, no really!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
What game could KGB play that was like Tetris? Sounds a bit iffy..

Pincho.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 21:07
It used wooden blocks of varing shapes and they tryed to fit them together so that they fit correctly in a box. It was designed to help the KGB with problem sloving and logical thinking, makes sence to me.

I've lost 25lb playing Dance Dance Revolution, no really!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 23:55
Quote: "It used wooden blocks of varing shapes and they tryed to fit them together so that they fit correctly in a box. It was designed to help the KGB with problem sloving and logical thinking, makes sence to me.
"

I know of this. It is based aroung taking 5 squares and putting them together in all ways possible then arranging these shapes to fit in a box.

It was described perfectly in one of Arthur C Clarkes novels. I will rumage through my book shelves and find it. It makes for an interesting read.

If I am feeling generous I will rewrite the page here when I find it... wait ... oh no! ... Now I am back to the copyright issue again

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 06:11
Quote: "When Tetris was invented you couldn't copyright games. Therefore, everyone and his dog jumped on the amazing idea and the creator missed out on over a billion pounds."

actually, from what i heard, he was russian, and during that time, Russia was communist, thus making all of his money that he heard, go straight to the government

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 18:04 Edited at: 18th Dec 2003 18:05
Quote: "I know of this. It is based aroung taking 5 squares and putting them together in all ways possible then arranging these shapes to fit in a box.

It was described perfectly in one of Arthur C Clarkes novels. I will rumage through my book shelves and find it. It makes for an interesting read."

I found the book and decided that the puzzle deserved a thread of it's own because it brings about an interesting programming challenge.

You can find it here:
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=22028&b=1&p=0

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 01:24
copyright is different in each country.

Thankfully my countries rules are quite well documented as I make cdroms and sometimes have to find out if music or imagery is within the public domain ( free to use ). Over here anything I make is automatically copyright protected weather I make the people aware of that or not. Most music and imagery is public domain over here after the artist has passed away for 50 years and no one has bought the rights to re use it.

intersting music copyright.
cover bands get away with it because its not sampling but a sample
is breach of copyright.

intersting cocktail copyright.
no one can copyright drink cocktail recipies.

http://www.copyright.org.au/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:36:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:36:54