Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DarkBASIC Enterprise

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was thinking. I don't know what TGC have in store for the next version of DarkBASIC, but I think it'll be cool if they released an "Enterprise" version of DarkBASIC.

In this version I was thinking it'd be cool to have an IDE as complicated as the likes of VB or VC. Or course something like this COULD be made for DarkBASIC Professional, but then that's just an upgrade to an already existing version.

Furthermore, it'd be cool to see (though not likely) this version have compatibility with the .NET framework. I know this is really pushing it, but imagine how compatible a game or program made with DB would be with programs made in other languages. The results would be amazing.

Also, I think it'd be cool to see an option in the next DB to have a menu editor like VisualBASIC's. A job for Rob K perhaps?

These are all the suggestions I have for now. If anyone has anything they'd like to add, I'd be more than happy to hear it.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 23:50
Like this?

Basically a visual editor for RobK's BLUE plugin. Haven't run it by him yet because it's still very early and I want to make sure everything works correctly before anything else.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 23:51
Hi Exeat,

Very impressive on your screenshot. How long have you been working on that?
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 23:56
Depends on what you classify as 'working', I started it a while ago, that screenshot is actually quite old but I haven't been able to touch it at all in the past month because I've just been too busy. It still needs heaps of work though.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
That's all find and dandy for DarkBASIC Professional, but I'm referring to the next version of DB.

Something I wanted to add: Have an option that allows you to jump to certain functions without having to scroll to them. Something like a button that you can click on, and then there will be a popup that lists all the functions in your code. That'd be handy.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 00:07
Exeat: Have you got it producing working DB code yet? As I said to you a while ago, the co-ordinate system used by the plugin is a real pain Very idiosyncratic

"Nowadays more and more of our imports are coming from abroad" - George Bush

Mercenaries in Space demo @ http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, another thing I just thought of would be capability to use common dialogues....for example, having a command dialog command that would like VB's.

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 00:45
DBPro is the next vir of DB.
or do you mean ANOTHER DB, where we would have DB, DBPro, VDB?
if so, that would be cool the have an object orriented DB language, like JAVA and C#, i like those, they're fun to play with

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 00:50 Edited at: 17th Dec 2003 00:52
Quote: "Hmm, another thing I just thought of would be capability to use common dialogues....for example, having a command dialog command that would like VB's."

lol you could make a plugin for that in no time, in fact, I think TCA already has. Although I'm not sure what kind of functionality he has in his.

Quote: "That's all find and dandy for DarkBASIC Professional, but I'm referring to the next version of DB."

I don't really see TGC starting a new version of DB for quite a few years, DBP at the moment is just too buggy to let go and start work on something new.

Quote: "Exeat: Have you got it producing working DB code yet? As I said to you a while ago, the co-ordinate system used by the plugin is a real pain Very idiosyncratic "

I decided to create a competition entry just to take a break from the VDBP project so I've been quite busy with my entry and haven't really had much time to work on it at all in the past month, although after the new year I can begin again. I still haven't had a chance to look at the co-ordinate system (I guess I'm dreading it) since I last posted that same screenshot lol but I'm pretty sure I can work a way around it. I mean, basically if it's possible to write the DBP code for positioning it then I think I can get my program to do it automatically, I just need to find a way to convert the coordinates from my (x,y) system to the one RobK's plugin uses.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "DBPro is the next vir of DB."

I know...and so DarkBASIC Enterprise would then be the next edition to the DB series...

Everyone keeps mentioning plug-ins...yeah this all totally feasible with those...but I'm trying to get off the DBPro subject and just think "next version", even if it won't be coming for a while like Exeat says. I know we don't have to worry about it but it's just interesting to think of the possibilities IMO.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 01:48
True, I can't remember the exact time Rich quoted, but he said they won't drop DBP for at least 3 years I think. Although, I believe during that time they're going to release pay-for add-ons. Like the Physics Engine. Oh well, I guess it always is nice to think of the future... like that flying car thread...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:28:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:28:05