Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I made Bill Gates richer today! :-)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 02:23
My investment in Borlands Delphi 7 was a flop, as I mentioned a while ago. But I still had the Delphi 6, and what I saw from Delphi 7 there wasn't really that much of a difference between them.

But I still had need of a new language, and after CattleRustler's nagging I got VS.NET today. Woohoo! My only gripe is that I've just added to Bill Gates personal fortune and Microsoft's plan for world dominion.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 02:25
Go MicroMan Go MicroMan Go MicroMan Go MicroMan Go MicroMan Go MicroMan

Get .Netting my friend......

~ J ~
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 02:28
I'm just annoyed that the upgrade report for my website companion client was a mile long, and it will probably take longer to go through that than it took to write the thing.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 02:29
HeHe, o it makes good bedtime reading....!

~ J ~
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 02:33 Edited at: 17th Dec 2003 02:34
Bedtime? Who has time for sleep? I've got until friday to make a working model that won't fail too miserably when pushed. Who has time to sleep then?

Me? Get off the boards, then? What?

-----
-----
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 02:35
Fair point there. Well come on come on, you've a new toy to learn.....!

~ J ~
Chessplayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Combat Bill Gates wealth domination at:
http://web2.airmail.net/gandolf/you.htm

This is still Chessplaer! I just decided to spell my handle correctly!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 02:05
Quote: "My investment in Borlands Delphi 7 was a flop"

How come?

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 05:56
MicroMan

My goose-pimples have goose-pimples!
welcome .Netizen!

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply!
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 10:22
Quote: "
Quote: "My investment in Borlands Delphi 7 was a flop"
How come?
"

Delphi 7 just worked very poorly. I found it to be very buggy. At least the copy I got. The IDE froze constantly and I got access violations all the time from the IDE.

-----
-----
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 10:25
Quote: "
My goose-pimples have goose-pimples!
welcome .Netizen!
"

Those aren't goose-pimples. Pull up your pants for god's sake, man.

Thank you.

I now have a mile long upgrade report for my VB 6 project. Oh joy.

-----
-----
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 13:47
Quote: "Delphi 7 just worked very poorly. I found it to be very buggy. At least the copy I got. The IDE froze constantly and I got access violations all the time from the IDE."

Although I haven't experienced any problems with it, have you tried the latest updates?

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 16:19
Yes, I bought it just a few weeks ago. And I checked with Borland. There weren't any updates to my version. So, I just returned the product, got my money back, and upgraded my VB 6 instead. I can probably live with Delphi 6 for a while more.

-----
-----
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 16:44
Ah yes. Thats the way. A little bit more money, that hopefully will make it easier for old Billy when I turn up on his doorstep pretending to be his nephew or somesuch.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 16:49
You're related to Uncle Bill too? He used to take me fishing back at Palo Alto Research lab when we were kids. Except he never fished, just went through the trash over at the Xerox site.

-----
-----
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 16:55
The upgrade thing is not the greatest I am afraid. The biggest problem is that it has no concept of .net conversion which is horrid because that is supposedly its primary function. What I mean is, if there is a COM object including in the original project, and there happens to be a way of doing the same thing in pure .NET without any COM component or object, the upgrade thingy will still just wrap up the COM object in the Interop Class, instead of converting to pure .net. I have been using .net for almost 2 years now, and I have never ended up using anything that the upgrade thingy has created - I have done all from scratch rewrites for old projects, and start all new projects in .net, never vb6. I use/keep vb6 around for maintenance of older programs that aren't being rewritten. I find that this approach helped me learn the language (vb.net in my case) more thoroughly than using hodge-podged upgrades.

Good Luck
If you need anything I am around

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:47:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:47:36