Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Windows 10 Creator's Update and Full Screen Exclusive mode

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 21st Jul 2017 11:08
Sounds a bit of a pain to me.

Still, it's not only DBPro that has these sorts of issues. One of my favourite games, HOMM3 or HOMM4 IIRC, behaves strangely on my laptop. When I start up the game all I see is a black screen - but I can hear the game music playing. If I press the Windows button and then restore the game from it's taskbar icon the game then continues perfectly. I've got used to doing that every time now. Sounds like an issue similar to yours.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2017 02:56
I rebooted the computer and the issue (still using Full Screen Exclusive Mode + VSync) completely went away.
As if things could not be more unreliable.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2017 10:49
That is annoying. It ought to be the first thing we try but I, for one, keep forgetting till after I've posted a complaint about it.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2017 00:57 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2017 05:01
Well is that even a thing?
Because what I did was turn the computer on, probably run a game or some other 3D program, close out of it, then run the a program created by DBPro. Somehow even though what ever other program was stopped, it seems to have left a persistent effect on the computer until rebooted that was affecting the DBPro program. So Full Screen Exclusive Mode was all glitchy until the computer was rebooted and the problem has not returned.

Just to clarify the state of things:

Using AVI/Mpeg Animations with the Animation system is bugged for a bunch of people and/or codecs. The animation plays in a detached window, or if playing to an image can crash the program.

Using Full Screen Exclusive Mode prevents the problems with the AVI/Mpeg Animation system except for a memory leak. Also after Windows 10 Creator's Update the screen does not draw.

Using Set Display Mode can correct the memory leak. But it glitches out the screen you see the task bar appear and other persistent problems. Also all of the loaded media is deleted.

Using a crash prevention system prevents Set Display Mode from crashing the program.

Using VSync Corrects the screen glitch when using Set Display Mode and the Windows 10 Creator's Update bug preventing screen from drawing.

After all of that, I get to have a movie play on the screen.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2017 18:32
Small Correction:
I hate to bump this thread - apologies.
All through the discussion I was mentioning FLUSH VIDEO MEMORY as one of the commands I was using. It turns out that I forgot I discovered this command does nothing. It's a defunct command. Instead I was using SET DISPLAY MODE to basically do the same thing. So I have updated my comments to reflect this. Just a small detail. Yeah sometimes I figure stuff out and then forget and then figure the thing out again. Probably should start writing stuff down.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2017 11:13
Quote: " Yeah sometimes I figure stuff out and then forget and then figure the thing out again. "

You are not alone. I'm sure there have been times when I've asked the same question three times on the forum - and been given the same advice each time.

For some inexplicable reason the problem seems to get worse with time.

Quote: " Probably should start writing stuff down."

Yes, I've tried that. Doesn't seem to work.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:47:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:47:12