Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The Biggest FPSC game ever made now on STEAM!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Dear friends and fellow Developers, let me introduce to you CRIMSON METAL - the biggest FPS CREATOR game ever made. It will be available on Steam very soon.

Support us, if you can, and let us know what you think about the game. Hope you will get the best experience playing the game as we did making it
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2017 11:02
Great looking game! Nice to see the FPSC world and media still bringing fun to players. Good luck with your game.
Development Director
TGC Team
MADBOX
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you RickV!
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2017 15:32 Edited at: 3rd May 2017 06:34
I'm getting bored of all these, bland and empty games made with FPSC and making their way through Steam...
Even Into the Dark looks better than that, seriously. Please, tell me that it will be free at least, because judging by the screenshots, I hardly see any redeeming quality for your game that could justify charging it

The worse thing is that the same also applies for Gameguru !

That kind of release puts a discredit on an engine which has already a terrible reputation, and worse, on it's most skilled users
KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2017 19:24 Edited at: 2nd May 2017 20:01
@Madcow02
Give the guy a chance!! He's just an indie developer that loves game developing in his free time ,not a professional like you ,dam' it!!

Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2017 21:28 Edited at: 3rd May 2017 23:48
I'm no professional, although I'm using FPSC since 2007 I don't consider myself being a professional. I was just saying that most of the games made with FPSC that one can find on Steam are almost always subpar when you compare them to another FPSC-made game released before the launch of Greenlight. I was pointing the fact that Greenlight allowed a lot of people (even the most unscrupulous of them) to publish games.

Ever heard about a company called Digital Homicide ?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2017 23:11
Well this looks very interesting. I'll have to wait and see how it goes.
Hope it does well for you MADBOX
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2017 14:39
Regardless of the qualty of the graphics I see (and some cheap level design using stock sci-fi segments) I am going to tell one thing... please let the gameplay not suck... please let the gameplay not suck... please let the gameplay not suck... (repeat infinitely)

In the following months some nice scripts have been uploaded in the forums, you can use them to make the game more interesting. Like this or this.

After that please make sure to use custom environment, weapon and footstep sounds because the stock ones basically suck. A lot of great music can be found in the forums and can be found on the SoundFX board (I won't link that one). Custom and high-quality sounds elevate the game a lot.

Also, to hide the imperfections in the levels I would recommend using the cel-shader post processor in Black Ice Mod.

Since it would take very less time to implement these, I am suggesting them to do them right now. Also, please use structured scripts with custom HUDs if you are going to make scripted sequences. But since the release is only a few weeks away please see if you can do the above mentioned points (not the ones in this paragraph).

I agree with what Madcow02 has to say... but chill dude.

And finally, good luck on your future endeavors.

Btw - Digital Playgrounds made games on TGC products??
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2017 16:43
I too don't see much in this that stands out.

Quote: "when you compare them to another FPSC-made games released before the launch of Greenlight"

I'm just glad they are going to discontinue greenlight. It was a blight on indie games.

I'll certainly give your game a chance @Madbox but I don't expect anything decent from the screenshots. There. My honest opinion.

-Wolf
\"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!\" - Rick Bamber
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2017 21:38 Edited at: 4th May 2017 08:59
Mriganka, I've edited my post, I had the feeling that I was sounding very rude and harsh in it. Doing gameplay in FPSC is really really hard, you can either have great graphics or great gunplay (not gameplay), but having both requires an awful lot of work and time to get things right.

Mriganka, Digital Homicide was a studio founded in 2014 by two brothers. The problem is that all of their games was bad, they were blatantly stealing pictures found by doing a Google Search and made their game with pre-purchased Unity assets, without any modification on them or any extra custom content. They laid down deuce after deuce, selling them at a costly price, by creating fake companies accounts and buying players' votes (that's how they were able to release a such amont of games). And to put a last nail in the coffin, they most notably, sued everyone that dared to complain on the Steam forums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Homicide_Studios
MADBOX
Years of Service
User Offline
Madcow02 comparing us with digital homicide somehow hurt.
We passed greenlite a year ago. And until now we work hard to make an atmospheric old school shooter, that will feels good.
Yes, we used standard assets, but we also improve them, many textures were redrawn, also added new, hundred of unique sounds was recorded and most important all the soundtracks were written by us.
We realy care about our game, and we hope that CRIMSON METAL will show that with the right approach to FPS CREATOR you can make great games.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2017 23:55
Kind of reminds me of an old doom game. Love the run and gun style. No story line, no thinking, just KILL KILL KILL. Good luck on this.

ON A SIDE NOTE.....

Hope you had plenty of people beta test this.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2017 04:22
Thank you for clarifying that out @Madcow02. This Digital Homocide team seem like a bunch of kids complaining about stuff that isn't worth anyone's while.

@MADBOX I can understand where you are getting at.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 4th May 2017 07:23
Looks like a typical FPSC game to Me, nothing more nothing less. Good luck selling it...
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2017 09:14 Edited at: 4th May 2017 09:36
MADBOX wrote: "Madcow02 comparing us with digital homicide somehow hurt. "

I did not. I was just pointing a fact with an example; a lot of developers don't have have the shoulders to put a game on Greenlight, A LOT of them are basically 15 years old chaps who never developed a single game before that, they make several maps and put random content in it with any game engine, then they upload this on Steam as a game and because of that they are convinced they are indeed game developers.

I'm not saying you're like these people, but as everyone said, we think your game is not polished enough to be released on Steam yet : I'm no pro but I think you're heading to disaster. Ask me, since you are the only person working on the game's core (it seems very unlikely you have any deadline of sort to meet), you should

1) Put the release date more further and keep working on the game normally
2) redo the maps
3)unify the shader model (it's really recommended since you're using a few segment that are shadered and characters for which the use of the shaders is mandatory)
4) ask for strangers to test the game
5) polish it
6) do more finetuning
7) rinse & repeat 4 to 7
8) release
9) profit

This

Could(Should) look like this (screenshot made by Wolf)
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2017 11:36 Edited at: 4th May 2017 11:38
This is a somewhat disheartening post, Ive been away from FPSC for a while now, I was working on a game which Id posted some update info
for a while back and had got nothing but glowing responses and constructional criticism, and on my first read through of this post my heart
sank a little, This community used to be so supportive and always offering ways to make things better and rarely ever just piling on negativity
for the sake of it, and since a lot of this wasnt neccesarily aimed at the guys game but more the shit surrounding the indie/greenlight industry
it reads like this guys getting tarred for everyone elses shit. o.0. Doesnt seem fair to me.

In my games I used the celshader as stated here to hide imperfections, I used cartoony graphics so I didnt have to mess with _N, _S,_I, _R maps and
spending literally hours trying to get basic shaders to work properly in game, like for example I once bricked an FPSC installation because I was
trying EVERYTHING to get ONE object lit right, despite sharing shaders, texture maps and all the other things with objects that WERE lit right
there was no seeming reason it shouldnt be lit other than it was a door, part of a segment not an entity put in the world directly as an entity, so I changed
the shader and texture files for the Door segment fpe, lit perfect, wouldnt open, well it did, you can see it from the other side, but the door wasnt getting
punched out properly to walk thru..

My point is this, with the sheer amount of effort it takes to get to a semi finished product, with a semi acceptable level of polish on it then when a
game does reach that point at least critique it on its flaws directly and not on the actions of cheap/rip off devs who came before them.

I too used stock assets, why? Because sketchup no longer supports .x exporters, you have to buy it as well, so I cant make my own models anymore
unless i take the time to learn a new modellers and I dont have that time with FPSC because small things can require huge amounts of effort.

I wanted an animated mouse cursor, So i had to painstakingly make 5 images, define each as a hud in the titlepage.fpi of the finished game, (so
yeah I had to COMPILE THE GAME TO MAKE A MOUSE CURSOR) , set up a timer and hide and show the mouse pointer hud elements one after the
other 5 times a second, other engines let u load in an animated gif, or series of frames and specify animation rates, transparancies, effects etc,
all in a few clicks, with FPSC it is literally 2 hours work.

So will I be lambasted for my use of stock assets? FPSC has limited functionality, and always will. What makes a good FPSC product to me is working
in and around these limitations in clever ways, Im not making a shooter, frankly FPSC as a FIRST PERSON SHOOOTER creator, is awful at its namesake,
Everygame ive ever attempted has left the shooting element out because the sheer monumental effort of building assets, levels, entities, huds, scripts,
writing dialogue, creating gameplay loops, testing, applying lighting, maintaining variables, just leaves me feeling like I dont have time to take all the same
amount of time to get a shooting experience that at best feels wonky and underimplemented.

Here are a few screens from my 'Asset Flip'

Yes Ive used stock assets, but mainly because this started as an experiment and with the amount of effort FPSC requires of you to do the simplest of things it seemed
prudent to test with ready made media, So I manually edited each and every texture I used, created N maps where none were there same with S, re did the textures over
and over til i got a semi good looking black and white comic noir experience, then ideas came, a noir detective novel! No better yet a noir detective comic!
I can do speech bubbles! those speech bubbles look good, lets animate them so they move! and the pointer too!

Do you see what I mean? By having such unintuitive ways to accomplish those things the actual game itself gets pushed aside,
and with how unstable builds can be I find it much more beneficial to have a mechanical skeleton of a working game before I actually
start building the game, if im basing hiding loading screens with videos, I need that to work before I build 64 levels around the concept,
i can simply copy and paste the original load file and change the video address and image address, If I create an animated pointer once,
I can copy that code over where ever a pointer is needed, etc and etc, the pause screen, the quit screen, all of these things need to be
in place or at least iterated for me because otherwish theres not much point building sweet ass levels and gameplay if your UI and
intro screen, title screen and all that background jazz make your game look cheap and ineffectual, and when one man development teams
are concerned It becomes even more difficult to balance those things.

The game takes a back seat many times to simply creating an interface that doesnt suck, draws in the player and helps disguise its origin as an FPSC game due to the
exact stigma this thread raises.

I also tried to attach the compiled game Ive been working around but i cant tell if it got attached or not, well its not even a game tbh its the room from the screen shots, Ive changed the story so the level narrative
doesnt really make sense tbh, but thats not the point of it, the point is I have to work on a Compiled version of the game because this is where I can easily access, iterate,
and test the ACTUAL game functions, intro videos, main menu, pause menu, loading etc.

Getting a faily decent looking package overall to me is very important so altho this demo isnt even really a demo, it shows the various stages of animated buttons, pointers
hud overlays when examining objects, and dialogue, placeholder video over the first loading screen, transitioning into a hud overlay (since if u cancel the video it just glitches
on previous frame of the video til it finishes loading so i had to mask that with an image, then seamlessly run into that image when the level has loaded, checking for a mouse click
to unshow it, then a slow fade in based on 20 transparent black huds being shown at once then removed one at a time)

Do you see my point here?

Games require effort, and wether or not the end product is exactly how you imagined, as long as you are working hard, trying to do something new, and doing it to the best you can
then You should be recognized for that and to get a game onto steam NOW, after DH, after Jim Sterlin and totalbiscuit says to me there must be something there people want for it
to be able to stand out amongst the trash.

I'll be interested to see what you guys think, I used to have massive respect for the senior members of this community and is why I keep coming back, I tend to get burntout on my ideas
and bring them up here from time to time to see if I should continue with the project BECAUSE of the sheer effort and less than optimal FPSC, but I I always do because the community is usually
behind me.
smoke em if you got em
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2017 12:30
Using stock assets and purchased model packs is perfectly fine, relying entirely on them isn't. Using FPSC is not really glorious because of its bad reputation (as I said earlier) so you have to hide that FPSC vibe as much as possible, by using expanding capabilities scripts, a few custom props (even if they're very simple and crude), replacing all stock sounds or doing an intensive use of shaders. For example, all my games have been praised for their graphics and atmosphere but each time, the gameplay felt wrong, the thing is I'm not much of a techie, I'm more on the creative/artistic side of the thing.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2017 00:25
Quote: " on my first read through of this post my heart
sank a little, This community used to be so supportive and always offering ways to make things better and rarely ever just piling on negativity
for the sake of it, "

I felt the same way. The messed up thing is that nobody has played it yet to judge it.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2017 10:01
Some of you guys need to get off your high horses; the sheer fact that anyone manages to make something playable with FPSC is worthy of merit. So what if it uses stock media? Not every game has to have a reliance on custom assets. Whilst we can all agree that the stock media provided with FPSC, and many of its associated model packs, is dated (and even a bit dull), some of us don't want to spend months modelling and texturing new stuff from the ground up. And at the end of the day, it's up to MadBox if he wants to use custom media or not, not us. Maybe he prioritised actually making a game that can be played over looking nice. That's commendable, really. How many FPSC games get canned because the developers run out of steam creating custom media? How many more FPSC games get canned because of technical setbacks? And yet, here it is, Crimson Metal, ready to sell on Steam. Who are we to decry him for making a few quid on something that probably took him weeks?

Well I commend you, MadBox; well done! I hope you sell a few copies

AE
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 03:02

A video of crimson metal so you can make up your mind about the game.

What stood out to me was the old holo - picture of ... me. I forgot I released that way back in the old cyberpunk pack
You can see it a couple times in the first minute of the clip.

The developer didn't take out the "160 KMH" speed limit sign from what I can tell though despite this being a cargo hall kinda area.

Personally I find the game OK. Really not something I'd put out there for sale but then again, greenlight brought us far worse. This right here is harmless and I'm sure the developer went through a lot of trouble to get it up and running and on steam
Aside from the newer assets, it reminds me of a lot of earlier FPSC game. During the 2007 to 2010ish era.

-Wolf
\"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!\" - Rick Bamber
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 05:36
The gameplay is not bad - this is a great compliment by FPSC standard. I would have loved more of the old school Doom-esqe feel to it (like secret areas hidden behind gates and stuff). Overall, not bad mate, not bad.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2017 21:37 Edited at: 15th May 2017 21:39
Ok so I see a lot more positives here than negatives.

+ He chose a theme, stuck with it and made a competent game for Steam
+ The overall presentation is good and the soundtrack is amazing
+ Performance looks ok given the number of monsters
+ Nice use of assets, specular and illumination
+ Definitely has some Doom qualities in there
+ Currently more positive Steam reviews than negative

- Lighting could use more work e.g. single light source in most areas
- Corridors are quite bland and detract from the good level design

I would probably purchase this just for the soundtrack and you get a reasonable game to go with it so not a bad deal.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2017 23:10
Personally I'm quit amazed at the speed & performance. I think I'll try it out just to get the
feel and how it looks overall It does look good.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
blob1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2018 19:50

Thought this was gonna be another bland FPSC game made in like a week but the trailer and music got me and I have 5,34 pln left in my steam and it's on 90% sale for 2,54 pln so I'm buying this, if it's gonna be bad, I don't care, this is gonna cost me around the same as a yogurt.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:46:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:46:18