Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Norton weirdness or a serious problem?

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 4th May 2017 19:28 Edited at: 4th May 2017 19:31
I've just rebooted my Laptop and the Norton Power Eraser (NPE.exe) jumped into action. After several minutes of scanning, it produced this report:

Some familiar names there. Any suggestions what I should do? My instinct is that they are all false reports and that I should simply uncheck all of them. I've never experienced this before, i.e. neither NPE jumping to life on its own nor the recommendation to ditch such well-known files such as the Steam directory!!!

Of course it's possible I've got a virus infecting lots of folders and I'll check for that next.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2017 19:54
Id probably close that and manually launch a new full scan yourself, possibly run a scan from an alternate application such as malwarebytes and see if you get similar results.

If running on its own like that is unusual, its possibke that npe itself may be compromised, or that process may not really be npe
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2017 21:48
Yes, that occurred to me too. I've just deleted the old NPE files and downloaded a fresh copy from Norton. However, that has created a new problem. If I include the rootkit scan NPE simply reboots the machine and doesn't scan. I can only get it to scan if I exclude the rootkit (see the settings page). Any ideas what's going on?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2017 02:48
It's possible you got infected with something (maybe even a rootkit) that didn't start to take effect until you rebooted.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2017 17:00
Hmm? Interesting. The latest NPE download from Norton gives exactly the same set of "unsafe" files and directories. Do I really want to delete the whole of my Steam directory? I think I might see what the Norton Help desk has to say about this.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2017 00:03
Have a recent system backup or restore point?
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2017 00:44
Probably not.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:18:27
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:18:27