Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Got me a new PC!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2017 14:27
Finally got to working on my mini-itx build. After checking some CPU benchmarks, there's really no reason I would need to upgrade from my current 3770k. The cost of replacing everything for a new cpu doesn't really justify the cost of a new chip. No i5 generation can beat my old 3770k. But I wanted a new GPU and more ram, and really wanted a mini build. Since it'd be a waste of money to buy a 1155 motherboard today (to reuse my currently awesome cpu), I just upgraded everything. Ugh, window shopping at microcenter is sooo expensive! (i only went in to look at monitors)

I bought a 7700k, which I was a little hesitant due to the reviews I've read about heat. And, according to the benchmarks, the Xeon E5-2670 scores just above it yet only costs about $100 (versus $300)!

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI
CPU: Intel 7700k 4.2GHz
Memory: Crucial 32GB DDR4 2400
Hard drive: Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250GB (system drive.... its so tiny!)
Graphics: EVGA 6GB GTX 1060 (its no longer than the mini-itx board itself)
Cooling: Corsair H55 (I use one in my current system and it's pretty great plus it's silent)

I considered a 1070 but not only was the short version out of stock, it was $200 more. Meanwhile, I hear a guy grab a 1080 off the shelf and yell about how cheap $650 is for a graphics card......

I have it temporarily assembled inside an old tower, microcenter didn't have any cases that excited me so I'm going to have to look online. Because of that, I haven't yet purchased a PSU due to the fact some mini-itx cases don't take ATX power supplies. So until I get a case, I'm holding off on the PSU until I know what size I can fit in it. In the meantime, I have a 450w seasonic powering it. The case unfortunately only accepts an 80mm fan on the back and thus doesn't take corsair's 120mm fan and radiator. For now, it's just kind of hanging there, lightly supported. Everything booted up just fine (no OS yet) on the first go..... after I connected the correct power switch wires. I don't know if it's just because I remember what a BIOS used to look like back in the day, but I get excited on new builds and seeing how cool the new BIOS looks.

One thing I found was odd is the cmos battery on the motherboard. The battery is wrapped up in plastic with two wires coming out of it and connect to a header on the board. A bit unusual to me. Is that just a new standard?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2017 10:56
Wow, I think it is time I got a new PC...

Out of all the games and applications you use, of what percentage would you say is 64bit vs 32bit? I am considering increasing my RAM as I use more 64bit applications; but so far most of my stuff is still 32 bit.

Any chance of seeing a pic?
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 24th Jun 2017 11:40
Those are some pretty good specs, what was the final cost if you don't mind me asking?

I'd like to upgrade parts of my PC sometime (motherboard, RAM, CPU). I've held off DDR4 RAM for a while since that would require a new motherboard and CPU and there really wasn't a CPU worth upgrading too, but now I'm eyeballing the i9 processors, once those full specs are released.

Quote: "The battery is wrapped up in plastic with two wires coming out of it and connect to a header on the board. A bit unusual to me. Is that just a new standard?"

I don't know if it's a standard but I have a single-board PC that does that.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2017 17:27
I know it's temporary but 450w seems a bit low and risky for that gpu
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2017 19:03
Quote: "I know it's temporary but 450w seems a bit low and risky for that gpu"

People have been telling me I under power my systems for over a decade. Truth is, most people go way overboard. The GPU actually recommends only a 400w PSU. I think a 500w would suffice for this build under load actually.

Quote: "I've held off DDR4 RAM for a while since that would require a new motherboard and CPU and there really wasn't a CPU worth upgrading too,"

That's kind of how I felt. The 3770k is an awesome CPU and I wish I could support it with the newer chipsets. I'm curious to see how the i9 actually performs.

Finally cost was just shy of $1200. That was from a local store, so figure almost $100 in tax. But it all honesty, aside from tax I wouldn't have saved much online. Microcenter's prices are pretty good, often having the best price on CPUs as far as I've noticed. I also have $30 in rebates. The CPU was $40 less than what you'd pay on Newegg, I can't complain about that.

I don't have a case yet, still looking. And mini-itx cases are limited at local stores so it might be a week before I get one online. I've also considered making one from scratch.

According to the BIOS, it idles at 65c which I think is horrible. But, I also don't have a fan blowing on the radiator nor mounted properly. It's just sorta laying there. Hopefully, it'll improve. In comparison, my 3770k is currently at 48c which is a little higher than what it normally idles at. I've been watching a movie on it the past hour though and my memory is maxed out. (chrome memory leak)

I thought I had found a decent case, but it didn't leave room to mount the radiator. I'm thinking this one might work: https://www.quietpc.com/cooltek-jonsbo-u2

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2017 04:21 Edited at: 25th Jun 2017 04:33
Wow, they have improved the power use quite a lot. My gtx 770 is minimum recommended 600W, i figured it would be at least that much or similar.

I have had a card burn out due to insufficient power before, so I tend to push more than I need, though the cost does rise sharply after a point. I'm running an 850W currently.

Looks like a decent case, though I tend to go for big chunky towers with lots of room inside myself. My current build absolutely dwarfed my older Dell by nearly 8 inches in height and 3 or 4 length, both use an ATX board.

One thing I've found that I really like is top mounted usb ports, headphone jack and the like, more accessible than front or back.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2017 07:24
I have a celeron
Yes!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2017 16:01
I think my 660 gtx called for a minimum 450w, so it's nice to see lower power requirement. Makes up for the less efficient Intel.

I'm trying to downsize my case for better desk space, smaller footprint, etc... I'm currently using an Antec P180, which is a great case.

Quote: "I have a celeron"

Come talk to me when you've used a cyrix!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2017 01:06
Out of curiosity I priced out the exact same components on Newegg. Even with tax, I still saved over $200 buying locally.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2017 13:20
Well that's just my luck.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hyperthreading-kaby-lake-skylake-skylake-x,34876.html

Current solution? Disable hyperthreading until your motherboard vender can create a BIOS workaround. Way to go Intel.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2017 19:37
Pft! Software bugs are working their way into unchangeable microcode! C'mon Intel, you know you're suppose to use bug spray when writing code! It keeps the bugs away!
Yes!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 27th Jun 2017 21:16
Quote: "Current solution? Disable hyperthreading until your motherboard vender can create a BIOS workaround. Way to go Intel."

I saw that this morning, hopefully you don't use hyperthreading for anything in particular.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2017 00:15
Transcoding media loves hyperthreading.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2017 20:45
Bought the PSU finally. A bit larger and more expensive than I planned. I went to microcenter to get the seasonic 650w platinum which the website told me they had in stock. They did not. There was the gold for $10 less and a titanium for another $30. I caved and bought the titanium. In the last 10 years, I only buy seasonic PSUs and with good reason. My 10yr old 430w is still running today just fine. Well, I've just been reading some reviews on this new Seasonic Prime titanium and it looks like I chose correctly. Tomshardware claims it's the best PSU they've ever seen and is currently the most efficient PSU money can buy. Plus, it still remains quieter than all the others. Not to mention a 12 year warranty; good luck finding that on technology today.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:46:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:46:41