Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A few questions...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 04:45
Hi. I don't have DarkBASIC, or anything actually, yet and I wanted to ask a few questions before I get my christmas $$$ and spend it on something I may not like. Numbered questions are easier to answer. =P

1)How steep is the learning curve and do I need to know anything beforehand?

2)On some parts of these forums it says DarkBASIC allows more flexibility than the 3D GameMaker. What does that mean? I don't mean list every difference, but can you make RPGs like The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind for example? Can you make a class system or something like in Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance?

3)3D GameMaker is a point-and-click but what is DarkBASIC?

4)How hard is it to make a game?

5)How fast is it to make a game?

6)Can I make multiplayer games?

7)If I get DarkBASIC Classic/Pro what else should I get with it? (Cartographer, DarkMATTER, etc.)

8)DarkBASIC Classic or DarkBASIC Pro? Which should I get? Any major differences between the two?

Well if you've put up with me this far then *applause* for you! Heh. I just thought I'd get all my questions in one fell swoop. Well thanks for reading, even if no one answers.

[LIFE IS THE #1 CAUSE OF DEATH]
viperjay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 05:23
There is a demo copy that can download from the site.

Look at the help files and see if you can catch on.

What you don't understand post the question on the this message board. There are alot of talented people here that can help you.

Most of all don't give up ... I know it is really hard at first but once you get the langauge the results are really cool.

good luck
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 05:46
Also, I would see if I could find some generalized/generic book on programming concepts, preferably in some flavor of basic, but not Visual Basic as that is a different animal compared to procedural basic. I don't have any titles to suggest, I am afraid. Search Google or something.

Good luck - All things are possible.

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply!
Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 23:31 Edited at: 18th Dec 2003 23:44
Ok then... Thanks. I got the demo and searched these forums a bit. One thing I still am a bit confused about is that one post said DBC/DBP was hard to make things like RPGs with because of some database problems or something? That a big thing to worry about (EDIT: From a game making POV, not as in "Oh no! What if I lose all my work!" I know what a database is)

EDIT: Two things I still want to know is whether I should pick DBC or DBP (does DBC have something useful DBP doesn't, or vice-versa? Or is DBP just DBC with all the upgrades and stuff and some other things) and what other software should I look at?

REEDIT: By the way, thanks for the encouragement about learning DB. I've played MUDs for years though so I don't think I'll have any major problems... I think in IF-THEN and IF-THEN-ELSE sometimes... If homework==1 then procrastinate... <--{ME]

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 01:26
go with DBP. DBC is archaic, outdated and no longer supported.
DBP, well they are still making patches for it but that is a whole other story

good luck

-RUST-

viperjay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 01:36
* Here is a link to what's the diffences are
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=compare

* here is a link to a darkbasic programming book
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=beginners_guide

* DBP is little more expensive then DBC

* I haven't seen any newer patches for dbc in a while

* Sorry I haven't used DBP yet . but it's on my wish list

from your quote:
"hard to make things like RPGs with because of some database problems or something?" Hopefully if this is an issue by the time you get to this point there will be a patch for it or someone will know of a work around, or you will tell us how to fix it( wouldn't that be cool?) being the master programmer that you will become.

I can't wait to see your cool programs.

Good luck and remember NOT TO GIVE UP.

viperjay
Kwiki Mart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 02:00 Edited at: 19th Dec 2003 02:03
Ask a stripper, She'll tell you that if you want a boob job then get the next size up from what you want. other wise you'll waste money on the smaller ones.
Oh and by the way you can make any game you want to if you put in the time and energy to do so. It's all up to you. And if you want to do 3D then i suggest buying some 3D software so you'll have some other models in your game. Not just the ones that come with it.

On target, On time!
Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 04:58
Ok, I have been living in the help files since my last post trying everything out and I'm getting pretty familiar with some stuff but I have a few questions about some syntaxy stuff.

1) What is the command for 'not equal to'
2) What exactly does ';' do?!
3) What is 'XOR' and what would it be used for?
4) ... Anything that will help me learn more!!!

I'm working with text stuff now though, the graphicky thingies still confuse me with their 'x's and 'y's and 'z's! SCARYYY!

It's a definite though... My well begged-for x-mas laptop + x-mas money = me getting DBP On one MUD this coder went nuts yelling at me how hard coding is and I just said, "Coding... Tedious yes, but its not difficult unless you want it to be!" and I almost got sitebanned for that... He still thinks it's hard... Hmm... A DarkBASIC MUD... Very intriguing thought...

Oh! Thanks to you all! My laptop (using it right now, WiFi rules) was my x-mas present but my mom, dad, and I all gave eachother our x-mas presents early since we all knew what we were getting anyways! Now I have something to be impatient about: Relatives coming over to give me the cash I asked for for x-mas so that way I can bug my mom to buy it when they leave and get it mailed overnight so I can fiddle with it the next day (hopefully) Hehehehehehehe!

=ME
=BRAIN
=DBP

IF +=0
ME=
ELSE
ME=
ENDIF
IF +=0
ME=
ELSE
ME= AND
ENDIF
IF ME= AND
DELAY 60000
ME=

*returns to his cave to fiddle with his DarkBASIC Pro demo*

viperjay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 08:38
I look at around the web for not equal and found this
statment <> which is a less then symbol next to a greater then symbol. Good question you had me stump for a sec on that one .

Next

your question about the semi colon ";"
I seen the semi colon used for the print command and acording to the help page it says it will add the next print statment to the last print statment. If the ; symbol is being used in other commands let me know ...

next question ....

xor

I really can't give you good answer with this one ... I have never used it but here is a link about it
http://web.mala.bc.ca/library/researchskills/boolean.htm

maybe others passing by could give you better answers. but it's start right ?

Merry x -mas Happy New Year

viperjay
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 15:05
Quote: "1) What is the command for 'not equal to'
2) What exactly does ';' do?!
3) What is 'XOR' and what would it be used for?
4) ... Anything that will help me learn more!!!"

Yes, use <> for mathematical "not equal to", there is also a NOT Keyword which can be used like this snippet from my Space Invaders:

The semicolon can be used to concatenate(join) pieces of text data (strings) together, to form a new string. You may see people use the + symbol as well but I don't like using + other than for numerical math. Makes code more readable IMHO. An example of ; below.

Dim strFirst as String="Joe"
Dim strLast as String="Schmoe"
Print "Customer Name: " ; strLast ; ", " ; strFirst

Would output to screen "Customer Name: Schmoe, Joe"

XOR is a bitwise comparison of the binary representation of two values... I think we can skip this for now as it is a little more advanced.

good luck

-RUST-

Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 00:26
Alright then =) Thanks for the help!

Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 03:15
Man... Do you ever have those days where you suddenly realize that you are a total n00b to something that you thought you were starting to get? I woke up this morning and had the fact that I am an idiot in DB/DBP compared to most people in this board smack me square in the face... Wow... I really need that book thingie that'll tell me how to do stuff in DB/DBP... Alright then...

What is the default screen dimensions when you start up a prog in DB/DBP? Or somethin like the X Y Z spacings? That stuff confuses me. I'm only semi good at geometry and having to figure out the fork-licking X Y Z stuff hurts my head!

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 04:55 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 04:56
As far as the default screen size, you can set that in code, 800x600, 1024x768 etc etc....

as far as xyz coords...think of it this way...x0 y0 z0 is at the dead center of your screen. x axis is left and right, y axis is up and down, z axis is near and far,.... and you thought it was hard!

Cheer up kiddo-you'll rock the house soon enough!

Study the manual and the tuts and you'll be there in nooooo time!

keep posting if you have a prob!

JAM

-RUST-

Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 11:24
I don't have the manual and the tutorials make my brain go ow. Z is near and far though? Oh... That slightly un-complicates things! I still don't get how to make stuff rebound off of stuff and angle calcumulationins and all that stuff... *sigh* Today is x-mas eve and tomorrow I see how much cash I get to spend on DBP and some other stuff... (o.O) I have an idea for a game thats kinda a cross between I-War 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Freelancer, and stuff like that... Maybe a twist of Elder Scrolls III... Hmmm... 2D though, 3D would make my brain explode currently... Yeah... Well maybe I could use what meager remnants of my brain I can find to at least make a skill system... Gahhh! Small goals, no rambling! Small goals, no rambling! Small goals, no rambling! *smacks himself over and over with a frozen trout*

Must sleep... to late to be early... or is it to early to be late? ... Sleep... Yes...

*Thud*

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 15:12 Edited at: 24th Dec 2003 15:13
3d is easy, imagine you are stood inside the DB universe, bang in the middle (position 0 across, 0 up, 0 away), the box in front of you (5 meters away) is 0 across, 0 up, 5 away, DB refers to these positions in the manual as X,Y and Z.
so imagine you are floating in space at x=0,y=0,z=0, the box is at x=0,y=0,z=5, you want to make the box rise 8 meters into the air so that you have to look up to see it, so you make the position for the box x=0,y=8,z=5, now the box is 5 in front and 8 up.
now move it to the right 10 meters just by doing x=10,y=8,z=5, thats all you need to position an object in 3d space, if you want it behind you and you are at 0,0,0, then the distance away will become negative, so to place the box 3 meters behind you, you do x=10,y=8,z=-3 <<< note the minus in front of the three.
by just altering the numbers you can move the box anywhere you like instantly, heres a short snippet, ever time you press the spce key the box will placed at three random positions, some you can`t see since they are behind you, note the autocam off at the start of the code, autocam allways points the camera at the last object created, you realy need to turn it off since it makes matters very confuseing when you first start.

autocam off
sync on:sync rate 0:sync
make object cube 1,1
do
rem these bits of code create random positions in an area
rem 10 wide, 10 high and 10 deep from -5 to +5 each way
x=rnd(10)-5
y=rnd(10)-5
z=rnd(10)-5

position object 1,x,y,z
text 0,0,"X="+str$(x)+" Y="+str$(y)+" Z="+str$(z)
sync
repeat
wait 100:rem simple key debounce
until spacekey()
loop

remember that the camera starts off at position 0,0,0 in DB, if you want it at some other location then you can position it just like the cube, you can also move an object, also notice that if you handle screen refreshes manualy like this code does then you need to do a sync after you have done all the alterations to the scene (normaly at the end of the program loop) or you won`t see any change and the program will appear to be doing nothing, heres the answers to all your questions...

1...I never considered Basic to HAVE a learning curve ??? , imagine you learn a new language, it uses English words and you just need to memorise 300 or so of them to be fluent, thats not so hard, if you are used to logic and compares then you are 9/10ths of the way there

2...TDGM is a point and click games maker, about as much use to anyone who has any imagination as a pair of wellies to a goldfish, sort of Lego with three types of block, DB on the other hand is language, It`s made to create games, but being a language you can also make level editors and music players, text games and utilities, even a wordprocessor or a spreadsheet program (if you feel the world HAS to have another )

3...DB is LANGUAGE, you describe what you want and the compiler creates the resulting code that may (or may not) do what you expected, imagine working with somebody who does exactly what you say and won`t think for himself, it can be annoying, you say "pass the pliers" and he says "I don`t know what pliers you want" so you say "pass the pin nose pliers" and he says, "do you want them from a shop or the toolbox?", so you say "from the toolbox" and he says "error...unable to pick up pliers/pin-nose with hands...object "hands" in use".....you get the idea ??

4...not hard at all, I can write a game in under 60 seconds, one you would want to keep playing???....well!, thats a different story

5..see above,to program a game that would keep my nephews amused for the afternoon would take about two days, Morrowind would take about two years and I would need some help with the GFX, if you mean how fast is the code (program), you don`t want to think you can load a world and then load 50 animated opponents and expect a framerate over 30 on even the most burly PC, even games like return to castle wolfenstien reduce the load ojn the PC by only loading the opponents you are about to meet, try the cheat mode and "ghost" about the landscape, and you will find that the rest of the level is strangly empty, only the troops you will meet next as you go through the level are actualy there, the rest are loaded as others are deleted (killed) or passed., speed is down to how well you code more than the language.

6...yes! or a game server, or a program to swap files with your mates, you have the full set of directx directplay and ftp commands at your disposal (in Pro that is...I assume you wont buy classic since it is old and much slower than pro as well as lacking a lot of features)

7...get darkmatter, that way you concentrate on learning to code and not trying to learn to model and animate at the same time, by the time you can write code reasonably well you will realise exactly what you will need in the way of extra software and have some idea of what it is worth learning (or not)

8...DarkBasic pro, Classic is ok if you can`t afford the little extra that pro will cost, but if ou get any good at all you will be wanting Pro in a very short time, so you might as well pay the little extra and start off with the more powerfull of the two.

finaly!, there is a reason why they call programs code!, you will have to learn to read and edit your code, over time you will forget what even the most obvious (at the time) bit of code does, so learn to comment your code frequently right from the start, that way you will be able to keep track of what you are doing and also spot ommisions or errors easier when you read the "english" comments, you will find that after a while you get to understand just what is going on in even the big name titles, you will also get the habit of scrutinising the games to see "how they did that" as well as testing the AI to see if you can work out how they did it and just what the weak points are, soon you will be adopting ideas for your own use and helping out newbs, you won`t get rich at this hobby ten to one, but you won`t ever be bored either

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 1x160Gb HD (using 2 overheats ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800 128mb.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 15:22
Read the thread called "My First Pong Game".
Its really basic but you might find it helpful.

Remember, just keep trying. There is always a way to do it.

Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 15:45 Edited at: 25th Dec 2003 15:49
Alrighty then... I think I understand how to make something like a box... and then move it around the screen in 2D... Look at this stuff and lemme know if it's good. (Note: I'm at my desktop and not at my laptop so I don't have the DBP demo open while i'm typing)

So how's that? I used my head and my brain says it should work fine but my brain can be tricky sometimes...

[EDIT] I meant to ask about object collisions in this post too... Urm... Well how do I do them? Like in a space invaders type game you'd make little blocky dudes and when you hit the space bar your little blocky dude fires a little rectangle thing. I get the thing about how to fire that and stuff, making a temporary object that deletes when it goes offscreen (y>[limit]) or when it hits something then it deletes that thingiemabob... but I wanted to ask HOW do you do it?! I think I have the basic moving thingies around down but some things I still don't quite get are 1) object collision and 2) making stuff bounce around. Since object collision is part of making stuff bounce around it would kinda seem natural to learn about that first. Heh.

[WHO STOLE MY POTATO?!?!]
Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 16:26
Revisions revisions revisions! Alright, scratch the above code-stuff I posted. I tried it and it didnt work. I got it to work now on this one! It's pretty fast though... Wish I could make it move slower... Hmmm...

*goes to tinker*

[WHO STOLE MY POTATO?!?!]
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 22:55
you where so close the first time
it`s pretty easy to manage collision, all you have to do is to detect the hit and then respond as you want, for example...

sync on:sync rate 40
autocam off
z=10
make object cube 1,1
make object sphere 2,1
position object 2,0,0,0
position object 1,0,0,z
point object 2,0,0,z
position camera 0,5,0
point camera 0,0,z
do
move object 2,0.05
if object collision (2,1) then text object screen x(2),object screen y(2),"TAG! your it!"
sync
loop

the if line is the one that will interest you , cheers.

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800 128mb.
Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 01:37 Edited at: 26th Dec 2003 02:57
Alrighty! I gots me a top-down 2D box thingie! Pop this into DBP (dunno if it will work in DBC) and compile-and-run it and use the arrow keys to move the white box around! =) I couldn't make the box not-shudder when you are holding an arrow key and colliding with something because if I set it to too little (anything below 0.04) the user holding down the arrow key would make the 'player' somehow appear INSIDE the box it was colliding with, and with 0.05 up to 0.07 sometimes the 'player' box would be on the edge of the box it was colliding with, causing the reversal of the function of the arrow keys currently being pressed to cause the 'player' box to follow those rules while outside of the object it was colliding with, making the 'player' box actually pass through the object it was colliding with.

If that makes sense to you then good, because it makes sense to me. If you know how to fix this though, please let me know. This is the 2D version and I will post a 3D version shortly.

[EDIT] Bugger to the 3D one! I was trying to reduce the amount of lines and got into doing calculations so that everything would stay in proportion even if you spaced the boxes out alot... Woah... I got it done but my brain now hurts like a billion little code-midgets were bashing me on the head with colons and semicolons while code-midgets riding on arrays shot variables at me from DIMs... Ow... Brain hurt... Yeah. So scratch the 3D one. I'll post a revised 2D one instead!

[ANSWER: 42] [WHO STOLE MY POTATO?!?!]
[LIFE IS THE #1 CAUSE OF DEATH] [THE ONE, THE SINGULAR, THE INSANE]
Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 03:16

Ninja need coffee!

Ok, 2D code is what I got posted. I stomped out most of the bugs except for that 'bouncy player' thing on collision and maybe a rare case of that problem where on direction change after collision the 'player' box will go through the box it just collided with because somehow while the user was pressing the button, on release the 'player' box ends up VERY close to the other box, almost in it, and the checks havn't picked up the collision somehow and when another key is pressed, the collision checks trip and it inverts the controls for a short time (as long as the collision flag is 1, one or two loop cycles maybe at most) and the 'player' box somehow can pass through the cube it collided with...

Anywho...

Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 03:40
Alright, I am thinking of getting onea dem bundle packs so I can get DBP and DarkMATTER 2 but I wanted to know if I should buy anything else because the games I'm gonna specialize in will be mostly 2D or have minimal 3D (like you can tell a building is tall in a town, you can tell that that is a town, and not a rock in the scenery and stuff) and probably no more than that so I was wondering what else I should buy other than DBP and DarkMATTER... like... texturing stuff perhaps to make outdoor world maps and indoor dungeons, cities, buildings, etc... I'm just planning for the future right now so I can get what I need and get used to using it before I actually need to use it, you know what I mean? The stuff I want to know about is mainly:

I)Texturing:
-Outdoor map/ground/skydome texturing
-Indoor cityscape/street/building/shop texturing
-Dungeon wall/ground/lighting textures and ambiance
-Item/armor/weapon texturing

II)Models:
-Enterable/exitable animated vehicles
-NPCs/PCs that don't look like bunches of blocks moving
-Customizable PC looks for char-gen (Heads, hair, eyes, height, weight, etc.)
-Monsters that don't look like walking piles of green staples

III)Sound:
-Inexpensive yet still doesn't sound bad
-Sounds like engines whirring, gunfire, laserfire, sword clashing, bow firing (that nice swshhhhhh noise)
-Music that captures the ambiance of some places, like downbeat and dreary for dungeons, traffic and chatter of people for cities, industrial for the industrial sectors of cities...

Yeah. That's basically what I want to cover, and if I can take care of all of the software at once then that is a lot less of a hassle then buying DBP and DarkMATTER now and buying the software I need piece by piece as I need it... Yeah...

And don't yell at me about how I shouldn't worry about this stuff yet! I want to get this stuff out of the way so I don't need to deal with it WHEN I NEED THE SOFTWARE and so that I have time to tinker around with the software so I get a feel for it and get used to it.

I have ACID Pro and Sound Forge if anyone knows if that will be useful... Uhh yeah... I think that's it... Well I'm gonna order the stuff soon so replies would be appreciated so I can see if I can afford overnighting it.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 08:18
Hey Xzander,
You have a wonderful enthusiastic attitude about this, that will take you places.

I)Texture Maker is designed specifically for textures, and operates like MS Paint or Paint Shop Pro

II)DarkMatter(1 and 2) have great models with animations like attacking dying, sittin' around, etc.
Cartography Shop would be perfect for indoor levels.
Magic World from all-seeing-i.com is perfect for outdoor scenes (and it's free).
If you want to model yourself truespace3.2 from Caligari.com is free, and Caligari
also released a great product: gameSpace, but it's $300.
Gmax from discreet.com doesn't export animations (you have to save as .md3, then
convert to .x using 3d exploration), but it's the easiest to use.

III)They just released DarkSound, but if you have a microphone you might just be able to record it
yourself if you don't mind sounds that are cheesy...I mean sounds with personality.
I don't think DarkSound has any music, but if you know stuff about music then you can download
Finale Notepad from finalemusic.com and notate it yourself & record on a mic.$20 registration
of notepad enables you to export .MIDs.

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: The First Room (FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 09:40
Wow, DarkMATTER 1 and 2, Texture Maker, Cartography Shop, and DBP all come to the grand total of $263.17! Thats like... most of my x-mas cash... Oh well... I downloaded the freeness of GMAX and Magic World...

Hey Juvenile... Ever hear of Acid Pro and Sound Forge for sounds and music and such? mediasoftware.sonypictures.com is the site. Yeah.

So should I go for it and blow $263.17 out of my $368? And should I pay extra for overnight shipping for the things that need shipping?! AHHH! *watches his hard-begged money swirl down the toilet*

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 13:50
ok...so I took some liberties with your code (oooer!)

that works as expected, I just kept track of the old position and when the cube hit anything I set the new position back to the old position where nothing had been hit, removes a lot of your code as well , if you are just checking for any collision then you have no need to trawl through all the objects in the scene, just check for anything, if you wanted to be able to touch some objects without stopping then change the line to read

if object collision(1,0)<20 ......

then you "hit" objects with numbers below 20, and your other objects can have a higher number (object numbers of 20 and above) and not affect the movement of the player, as to what to buy, you can get free versions or even write your own programs in DB to do most of the things you want, (apart from model editing...that depends on your background knowledge), so buy DB and then add to what you want via trying demos, if most of your stuff will be in 2d then you will already have paint for the GFX, all you need is something to edit music, or buy the darksound compilations, I recommend sticking to demo versions for now, for example I bought milkshape as highly recomended, and I hate it and don`t use it, can`t get on with it at all, made by martians or something , but I used and liked 3d canvas, much more sensible way to do things, in your enthusiasm you may buy something you don`t need or like, best to hold on and just buy the minimum for now, then when you have a better idea you can go for whatever you need (there are plenty of freeware/trial/shareware versions around for different apps anyway), and I am sure the makers of the different software titles will take your money off you as enthusiasticaly next month as this , cheers.

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800 128mb.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 23:28
I agree, it is a lot a money, and milkshape3d does kind of suck, Anim8or is an OK free modeller that supports animations. You probably don't need both DarkMatters, pick one, or none at all if you want to do your own models. Cartography Shop is just a 3d modeller that has an interfaced suited for making indoor levels, and Texture Maker can be replaced with MS Paint.

Be sure to go to msn.com, search for "Essential Gmax Tools", then got to the first site that pops up. It should say pretty much the same thing you typed in, and off that site download the MD3 eporter, and 3d exploration. From caligari.com, look to download the free version of truespace3.2. You will need this for animations.
Got it down to $89.99.

hope I was of some help, and good luck,
juvy

p.s. have you read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Juvenile Industries
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 00:21
42 THE MEANING OF LIFE THE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING

lol i love that book

VISIT MY GAME DEV SITE: http://www.neoeden.web1000.com/
VISIT MY APPAREL SITE : http://Cafeshops.com/gerritgear
Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 02:42 Edited at: 27th Dec 2003 02:45
Yes I have read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Great book!

Ok, so far I'm getting DBP and DarkMATTER 2 then! I really should get Cartography Shop though unless someone knows of a free indoor buildy thingie or whatever cuz I dont think Magic World is really suited to that... I don't really know about texturing in MSPaint though because I'm all freaky and paranoid about microsoft and the fact that 3D textures in MS Paint just don't sound realistic... Well whatever... A texturer that just... you know... does it by itself... now that would be nice...

DBP + DarkMATTER 2 = $116.99 (WOO!!)
$368 - $116.00 = $251.01

That's $251.01 left as opposed to $104.83 left! Even with Cartography Shop that would be $251.01 - $64.99 = $186.02 left! Woo! Or even with Cartography Shop and Texture Maker that's $251.01 - $120.99 = $130.02 left!

That's actually a nice price-to-remaining-cash as opposed to $263.17 spent and $104.83 left.

[EDIT] I've got GMAX, Magic World, MD3 Exporter, TrueSpace 3.2, and the demo of Deep Explorer... Anything else I need that could take the place of maybe... Cartography Shop and Texture Maker??

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 07:51
On nuclearglory.com there is a thing called 3d Map Editor, but it's kinda buggy, that's all I know for indoor editing. But there was a free texture program I read about in some game progging book
*rummages through pile of books, picks up Hithchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, smiles, then continues rummaging
I'll be back.....

Juvenile Industries
Alastair Zotos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 12:42
Just get DarkBASIC, you can make any type of game you like, seriously!

fart like you've never farted before!!!
(five seconds later)
Dude that stinks!!! get out of my house!
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 18:33
@Alastair: I hope you mean Pro

Pro is so much better. New commands+updates+faster=BETTER

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 12:19
That may be true, but then again DarkBASIC is completely SOLID. I hear DBPro has a few bugs. The only problems I've run into with classic is the collisions (which are easily rectified with Nuclear Glory's dlls).

Juvenile Industries
Xzander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 01:04
I've already bought DBPro... I've been playing around with GMAX too, which totally rules... Magic World is a bit odd to get the hang of but it works kinda good.... I've only opened Caligari TrueSpace 3.2 and it looks kinda odd...

I have the guide on how to program in the DB lingo so yeah...

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 09:19
Hey Xzander!
I made this awesome marine animation in gmax, but found to my dismay that my beautiful little .md3s don't carry animation. Unless anybody else here can find a way around that (help guys!) gmax users are going to have to use truespace or something like that to animate. I'm still using gmax for still objects and unanimated models, though.
trueSpace is odd at first, instead of setting a primitive object's size during its creation, you change it afterward--that was really odd for me.. dunno bout you. It uses pretty much the same type of keyframe animation editor as gmax, though.

adios,
juvy

Juvenile Industries

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:30:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:30:22