Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Raspberry Pi / Since current Raspberry Pis are unable to do "Depth Texture", so no Shadow commands will work!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Everybody,

Just wanted to let you all know that I've been talking with Richard from AGK2's support and according to Paul, the reason AGK2 on the Raspberry Pi cannot do Shadows is because of the GPU and not AGK2. He stated that since Raspberry Pi Opengl cannot do "Depth Textures", shadows will not work. I don't know if anyone has worked out a fairly acceptable fake shadow technique, but if they have, please post it here! Thank you all for your time and patience.

Take care now,

Darin
DarinM1967
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 00:48 Edited at: 15th Sep 2017 16:33
Here's a test file I created that should show what I mean. I can use AGK2's broadcast to run it on my Galaxy GS5 and it is able to display the shadows fine. It is only the Raspberry Pi that they do not work.

Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 18:47 Edited at: 16th Sep 2017 18:49
Do you realy need shadows?

Most of the games before 2000 had no shadows, or faked them. I think, also today, mostly fake shadows are used in games.

Mostly shadows a pre-calculated in the textures, and it is easier to "light" things up, or change the texture itself. Or using some show-sprites, moving under some prop and scaling it.
You can look at Quake III Arena e.g.

Maybe this helps.

I would love to run AGK2 on a Raspberry Pi Zero at all. Can't get any program to work. So having no shadows are my least problem
DarinM1967
Years of Service
User Offline
Xaby,

Thank you for your response. Sorry to hear that your having problems getting anything to run on your Raspberry Pi Zero. Have you tried contacting the AppGameKit team? Richard and Paul have been very responsive, when I emailed them. I'm sure their be able to help you, since it's suppose to work even with Zero.

I agree that realistic shadows are not needed to make a good game and plan on using the following: Baked shadows, blob shadows and/or point light. My new issue is getting any of the blender exports (.x, .obj, .blend and .3ds) to work properly. Either they crash, or their a mess. I'll eventually get it to work. It took a long time before I was even able to get the experimental opengl drivers on Raspbian to work without messing up the GUI.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 17:36
I got Quake III Arena to work today. The Pi Zero is able to handle the graphics. I updated some of the drivers. Compiling was about an hour. It uses also some OpenGL ES thingly, I think.

For your project I would only use one format. I can't say, if there is a difference in file-handling with AGK2 on Windows and Raspbian, but most of the First-Person-Shooter-Creator *.x files are working nice with AGK2.

Maybe someday we would have a Minecraft-AGK2-example, and can build on that. And can change the cubes to *.x models, model after model
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 21:53
Actually thats not quite right !
Opengl ES 2.0 doesn't have proper support for depth textures thats right, BUT I managed to Render my own Depth Textures in my ShaderPack thats also why all my shaders work on all platforms.
But you can't use these Depth Textures for the build in shadow shader.
Maybe I make a new shadow shader that works on devices, without depth texture support, in the future.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:57:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:57:47