Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / "Greet 'em and Seat 'em" - My first *released* AGK game!

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 01:30
After I finished making the first level of the my first AppGameKit game (a shoot 'em up, still in development), I took a break from that to quickly make this simple little tribute to old Atari games, using everything I'd learned about AppGameKit so far. I also decided to get into making chiptunes on an 8-bit music tracker, to go with it.
Free to download for mobile/tablet: Greet 'em and Seat 'em - A "catch" game where your political career hinges on your success at providing your supporters with seating and hearty handshakes at rallies and meetings. There isn't much to the gameplay but there's a lot of story and flavour text!

In terms of game mechanics it's essentially the same as an old Atari 2600 "adult" game called Beat 'em and Eat 'em, and while Greet 'em could be called a "safe-for-work parody" of the filthy original, it can still be fun without requiring the player to know anything about that old XXX game (or its re-skinned, gender-swapped twin, "Philly Flasher"). There are subtle references to those games, but nothing that would compromise its G-rating (or its fair use parody status).
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 07:59
Well done AK, I've awarded you an AppGameKit Developer badge in honour of your game publishing efforts!
Development Director
TGC Team
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 10:21
I tried your game, it is well-made and fun. I like the authentic C64 feel
13/0
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 16:16
Genius name. Maybe you could add some DLC "Greet 'em and Seat 'em: Afterdark"
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 17:38
fun little game, got to level 19 and can safely say everyone now has a "very safe and cheap" atomic death ray on their roof
love the layout and the windows for lives is a neat touch.
would be great if the movement buttons were bigger, it's easy to miss-click and lose the game with them being a bit too thin
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
AK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2017 02:02
Cheers for the feedback (and badge!) everyone.

Smallg, your prize for getting up to the 2nd-to-last level is an update with wider hitboxes for the movement buttons (whose graphics are still the same size), and a narrower hitbox for the newspaper, to better avoid it getting accidentally tapped where their hitboxes would otherwise overlap. Thanks for that suggestion - I suppose I didn't really play it long enough on my ipad to get a feel for those buttons!

blink0k
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 22nd Sep 2017 03:08
Very nice. Cool 8 bit feel to it
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks amazing, AK! How long did you take developing? Cheers!!!
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2017 10:49 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2017 10:50
I play it on a phone, I always lose because I fail to hit the controls proper. That is a bit frustrating. Great game otherwise ☺️
13/0
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Played in a GPD XD android console, it works perfect with digitad pad. Congrats AK, it's a really funny game.
AK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 04:04
Richard_6, the main part of the game took me a weekend and a bit, then it was another week of refining it in the evenings before I'd got it the main part of the game looking how I wanted. Then the next 4 weeks were smaller alterations, playtesting, making music, doing a fake software company intro (well, I guess it's not all that fake anymore haha), and then figuring out how to get it all working with the Google Play store and banner ads.

This was mainly a) a learning experience for me, and b) an obscure reference joke, but I'm pleased to hear that people are having fun playing it too.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2017 18:11 Edited at: 26th Sep 2017 18:11
Quote: "Smallg, your prize for getting up to the 2nd-to-last level is an update with wider hitboxes for the movement buttons (whose graphics are still the same size), and a narrower hitbox for the newspaper, to better avoid it getting accidentally tapped where their hitboxes would otherwise overlap. Thanks for that suggestion - I suppose I didn't really play it long enough on my ipad to get a feel for those buttons!"

thanks, completed the game now and the bigger button area made it much more responsive - part of the problem is that is has a black border around my screen - infact i don't think i miss-clicked at all this time
now we just need it to save the last level we got to so you don't have to start over each time.
also rated you 5*
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
AK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2017 00:04
I've added 15 Achievements to the game now, and I think it's all linked up with the Play Store stuff - it says the achievements are now published, so here's hoping they all work!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:19:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:19:25