Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2017 11:55 Edited at: 30th Sep 2017 11:57

Galaforce Worlds, which was coded using AppGameKit, has now been released for iOS, Android and PC Windows.

Main features:
* Multiple worlds and zones of varied alien formations.
* 24 different alien types plus 4 power-aliens, and homing missiles.
* Superb atmospheric music by two talented composers.
* New auto-fire feature - allowing concentration on the spaceship's movement.
* New achievements and 3-star award features: can you achieve a 3-star rating for completing all of the worlds?
* Pickups: power cannons, double cannons, quad cannons, shields, bomb disarmers, smart bombs and new energy boosts.

Galaforce began as a BBC Micro and Acorn Electron game by Kevin Edwards. This was followed by Galaforce 2 also from Kevin Edwards for the BBC Micro and Acorn Electron. New worlds, missions and features have been added to produce Galaforce Worlds for iOS, Android and PC Windows.
Richard Hanson,
www.superiorinteractive.com
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2017 14:20
Thanks Richard.

It's nice to finally announce our game on PC, iOS and Android.

This is a remake of Galaforce Worlds (version 1) which was originally written in Blitz Basic - we used AppGameKit to rewrite the game as support for Blitz was discontinued and we also wanted to release to the mobile platforms and AppGameKit was the obvious choice! As Richard has mentioned, Galaforce Worlds is based on the original games Galaforce and Galaforce 2 written back in the 1980's for the BBC Micro and Acorn Electron by Kevin Edwards. I used to play these games myself on my Acorn Electron and can't quite believe I have written the new versions!

We have managed to achieve everything we set out to using AppGameKit and we are really pleased with the outcome. It's important that we use a development kit that is capable and well supported, and AppGameKit fits that bill very nicely. It's well supported by TGC and it has a really amazing community in these forums.

The Leaderboards are filling up with high scores on the iOS and Android versions...

Thanks.
E
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2017 07:27 Edited at: 1st Oct 2017 07:27
Action filled game play. Did you use Tier1?
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2017 09:27
Thanks MikeHart. Yes, AppGameKit - Tier 1.
E
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2017 09:05
Any chance of a nice new shiny AppGameKit Developer badge please?

Thanks.
E
Superior Interactive
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 16:07 Edited at: 18th Oct 2017 16:08
I think this video illustrates more of the variety of Galaforce Worlds, showing several advanced formations, pickups, power-aliens and homing missiles:

There is also a Galaforce Worlds competition now, announced at: http://goo.gl/mw91hT
Richard Hanson,
www.superiorinteractive.com
XANAX 2B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 04:15
Very good game. Nice job ! I can't imagine how you programmed the enemies come inside the screen like this. It is a lot better than 'Galaga'.
Don't let the world decrease your conatus
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 10:06
Thank you XANAX 2B! The enemy formations were a big part of the development.
E
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 14:36
Quote: " The enemy formations were a big part of the development. "

Yeah, you gotta love math!

Things move really fast too.

For me, there was an optical illusion near the beginning of the videos, and it looked as if those outer missiles were coming at the ship instead of going away.

I only have one problem with seeing a game like this... it gives me a lot of ideas and then I get side tracked and steered away from what I am working on.

In this case, I am glad the ideas can be applied to an old project that I need to get back to work on.

Quote: "Yes, AppGameKit - Tier 1."

Great job!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 15:00
Thanks Conjured Entertainment!

Quote: "Things move really fast too."

The game is quite frantic in parts - we were really pleased that AppGameKit handled the gameplay so well - across all platforms too!

Quote: "Yeah, you gotta love math!"

strangely I really don't love math. The original game I wrote had a formation editor which made the process a whole lot easier!

Quote: "For me, there was an optical illusion near the beginning of the videos, and it looked as if those outer missiles were coming at the ship instead of going away."

Maybe the sped up action caused that?

Quote: "Great job!"

Thanks very much.
E
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work, Ian! Congrats!!!

Question: for the aliens movements, did you use any external tool or you applied classic sine / cosine formulas?
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2017 13:14 Edited at: 24th Oct 2017 13:20
Thank you Richard_6.

Quote: "Question: for the aliens movements, did you use any external tool or you applied classic sine / cosine formulas?"

I wrote an editor - it was like a drawing tool to draw out a path for the aliens to follow, it used sine/cosine and other techniques. The editor had features like, arch, arc, circle, lines, point-to-point, etc to help the user draw a formation from point A to point B.

When I took the project on for Richard at Superior Interactive, it was one of my biggest concerns - I knew that there were some complex formations to write, and not being particularly great at maths I was unsure how it would turn out. I then realised that the aliens follow a path and that writing an editor to create that path would be easier for me. So that's what I did. It worked out well.
E

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:59:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:59:08