Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Policy For DBP Community/Team/Group Projects?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2017 14:24 Edited at: 28th Oct 2017 14:27
When DBP was still a supported/marketed TGC product, we were not allowed to "team up" for projects on the forums.
A policy I never quite understood, BTW.

Has this changed at all since DarkBASIC is now open source? Are we allowed to propose/promote group projects here, or does that still somehow potentially subject TGC to some sort of possible legal liabilities or something? In other words, what's the harm?
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
zero32
Years of Service
User Offline
rules and guidelines wrote: "Team Requests

We do not allow any form of team requests. This sort of discussion should be handled via the PM system in the majority of cases, with the exception of the Off Topic board where we do allow team requests for established projects only! This includes asking to join a team, asking people to join your team or asking about creating teams."

so no, i guess it's still not allowed. i think the same way you won't find a moderator here on the forums that will close a thread that violates the guide lines, you won't find one that changes the rules. (atleast i did not see it once since dbpro was made open source, but i'm not a long time member).
i too have no idea why this rule exists, but the rule says "team requests" so if you make a site on bplaced.net, make a team forum there and just post a link here, everything should be ok. just an idea
"It is only slightly easier than changing all sugar in a cake into stevia after it has already been baked" -Bisqwit
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 13:06
I wouldn't see any harm in a team request myself. I think back in the day they had a board that was inundated with team requests. Since this forum has a fraction of the traffic that it used to, it seems like a team request would not be a problem, even though it is clearly against the stated rules. Maybe email/PM a MOD to see if it would be a problem. You could always ask for ideas and then start a WIP thread based upon the response and invite others to help on the thread. What is it that you were thinking of doing?

So many games to code.....so little time.
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 21:13
I sort of think it might just be a legal issue to distance themselves in case anything goes wrong in the team they can easily say "Look we played no part in this" etc. I suppose if someone took off with source code and published a game that others worked on or what not. Aside from possibly what LBFN stated that maybe they are just doing it for cleanliness sake I don't see any other reason for such a ban.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 22:42
I think you had to have the game planned out before you could post a request. too many people just posted annoying lets make a game threads and had no plan, which lead to arguments and flame wars.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2017 14:19 Edited at: 1st Nov 2017 14:21
Assuming you already have the group and project well underway, then I would not see any major concern.

If you do not have the group or project underway, then it gets a little dicey.

If you really need a team, from experience; I'd first and foremost set up a group of 8-10 people on gaming forums or social media with similar interests, non conflicting goals and spend some time having fun, getting to know each other.

Then start sharing talent by working on extremely small projects, such as a short comic book, graphical demo, podcast, youtube playthrough videos or something light, positive and entertaining.

Keep that up; what that does is gets people together without having to invest too much resources.

Find out who works well within the group and who doesn't. Then after about 4 or 5 months after the lazy or distracted ones quit. You should be left with 3 or 4 people who genuinely get along, sincerely have similar interests and are serious about starting a development project.

Then establish the team. You will never need to make a team thread request thread if you make a habit of networking with people with similar interests to find people who get along.

I don't think team request threads work very well; any Tom, Dick and Harry can make one; which makes it difficult to take them seriously.

But if you think otherwise, then I wish you all the luck and success.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2017 23:40
Thanks for all the responses! The reason I asked was more out of curiosity than anything. Any idea I may have had regarding a team project may have been killed off by unhealthy amounts of Halloween candy last night, though sadly I only managed to snatch 4 bags from unsuspecting kids this year with my Kevin Spacey costume.
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 02:00
For this forum, I do not view a team request as being nearly as involved as you do, Chris, though I think you are spot-on regarding putting together a team to create commercially viable software. I would look at a team request here as a way to simply have fun working together with the few remaining fellow coders/artists to achieve a goal of making a great game together. We all enjoy making games, but I dare say that the majority of us are simply hobbyists and don't have the skill set to sell commercially. A game made by a team can utilize the skills of the team members and (in theory anyway) you could take a game farther than you could on your own.

So many games to code.....so little time.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 20:55 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2017 20:59
@Derek Darkly Kevin Spacey? lol.

This thread is starting to take a political turn for the worse, I see.

@LBFN

I could debate for hours about this stuff, but I certainly agree with you on the hobbyist culture.

I would also like to promote that my opinion above is very much intending to promote the idea of commercial goals not having to be 100% serious; I would say it would be near impossible to succeed in this industry without having fun. If we simply want to make money as game developers, but do not enjoy what we do; we may as well take up plumbing or insurance broking.

Hopefully the moderators will let Derek make his team request anyway, it is not like 10,000 others are going to creep up and request teams also. But I guess this policy should be removed if indeed people can make team requests outside of the PM system.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:53:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:53:23