Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Switching to Godot 3

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 06:55
Godot Engine is 100% free. The community on Discord is amazing. The programming language is easier. It has so many more features. It is open sourced and constantly being developed.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 09:10
Ok.
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 09:39
Help out a fellow dev! Download and rate my games! They're free!

Wizzed Off! - (Android) (iOS)
God of Thunder - (Android) ([URL=https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/god-of-thunder/id1224878246]iOS)
Extreme Lawn Mowing - (Android) ([URL=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/extreme-lawn-mowing/id1231847480?ls=1&mt=8]iOS)
Drunken Heroes - (Android) ([URL=https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/drunken-heroes/id1286500445?ls=1&mt=8]iOS)

And you can get Fluffy Knuckleduster merchandise at our new store!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 11:16
everything have pros and cons.

AGK (Steam) V2017.09.25 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.11.2) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
And BYE!
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 07:11
I'm also using Godot 3, but still using AppGameKit for some simple things. They are very different types of engines.
LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
.... how do you get easier than BASIC? o.O
~~ LillyByte ~~
http://www.dymoria.com
spaceName
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2017 08:39 Edited at: 25th Nov 2017 10:52
Not only is comparing AGK2 and Godot like comparing a boat-ride and a bowl of fruit... but I've seen enough of these "I can get more and better for free so I can make nothing,..yet still complain**" type posts over 20 years. ..(**when no engine really has more or better in a perfect to all needs comparable table of specs, but each engine has good uses for certain needs),
Besides..You should NEVER leave one engine you have learned behind in your past..but instead, learn each engine you can learn and use each engine when needed.
YOU SHOULD ALWAYS MOVE back and forth between tools that work best for your line of project(s).
Coming here and posting like that is basically spiteful, and this will not make you any "skilled developer" friends..but will keep you grouped to the kid/novice/Always-unhappy grouping. This is not an insult, this is literal, genuine, and reality.

If this post does not make sense to you .. it will once you have 'a few more years under your belt'.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2017 12:29
Werd.
Help out a fellow dev! Download and rate my games! They're free!

Wizzed Off! - (Android) (iOS)
God of Thunder - (Android) (iOS)
Extreme Lawn Mowing - (Android) (iOS)
Drunken Heroes - (Android) (iOS)

And you can get Fluffy Knuckleduster merchandise at our new store!
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, it is nice to hear about different options. Tried to look at this one now briefly but would need to do something on it I guess to get a proper understanding. It seems like more of a tool where you draw some stuff, create scripts and link them together. I prefer the programming approach myself, which is why AppGameKit is good for me...

LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "YOU SHOULD ALWAYS MOVE back and forth between tools that work best for your line of project(s)."

I've been in content creation for a very long time and these are true words; you use the tool that is best for the job directly in front of you.

Anyone who sticks to one tool, one engine, or even one language... will find themselves inflexible and struggling against problems that would be easily solved just by using a slightly different tool that does a similar-esque thing, but does it so much faster.

~~ LillyByte ~~
http://www.dymoria.com
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2017 15:48
My two cents,

I should say I played (and payed) the most part of games engines since time. From glbasic to Unity and Unreal, but AGK2 has as many features as I need, working examples, fast deployment and the VR part so I'm pleased to spend the next years here

Congratulations for all the comunity, I'm learning really fast with your contributions.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2017 18:29
^ that guy +1

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2017 18:33
Quote: "The community on Discord is amazing."

That right there would keep me from using it. If I have to use Discord to reach the community for help rather than a forum, I won't like it.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2017 18:39
There’s a forum plus many other ways to interact. Probably too many ways tbh. It makes it more difficult to find something.

It is still a great tool, but like has been said already, very different to AGK.
RobbSnow
Years of Service
User Offline
1) What is a discord and why would that influence anyone?

2) Why was it so important for you to announce your leaving?

Sounds to me like you just have some ax to grind against AGK
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 20:35 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 20:39
Quote: "The programming language is easier."

From my own exploration of Godot I have found it generally takes more steps (both via the visual properties and coding) to achieve the same result as it does in a few simple lines in AGK.

A 'Hello World' using a TTF in AppGameKit requires only the following lines:

It reads in the TTF, generates the suitable display font sprites internally, spits them out to the screen all without any extra user intervention.

Meanwhile a comparable 'Hello World' using a TTF in Godot requires a tremendous amount of prep-work through the visual GUI and the actual code is not any easier to decipher than that of AGK.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 20:41
If its more GUI style interaction that ones wishes to go down then good luck to them.

tbh though, I or even most of us here could write a GUI style gaming creation application like godot 3 with AppGameKit if I had no other projects on my todo list

CyberGamer
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
As spaceName said AGK2 and GoDot are two vastly different products, AppGameKit is not an all in one solution
but is very powerful ,it also has the ability of exporting easily to different platforms,in particular
Apk (which I think is great) I wonder can Godot do that as easily?

As far as I know out of it's list of programming languages it does not include BASIC as an option.

There always will be more programming solutions appearing on the market but so far AGK2 is
best way to ease into the world of programming thanks to TGC.

Amd Quad Core FX-4350 4.2GHz,GTX550Ti 1GB GDDR5,16GB DDR3
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 09:56
AGK exports to iOS much easier than Godot, but Android is the same.

The big plus for Godot is that it's an MIT open source license.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 14:35 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 14:37
Each person needs to use the language/api/game engine and workflows that work best for them. The choice of what to use is a very personal thing speaking more about the preferences of the person than the power and so forth of what they choose.

I personally don't like these GUI-heavy based all-in-one game engines. I feel they often overcomplicate game development by forcing certain patterns and workflows to be used that are not necessarily the most efficient for each project. For some projects sure they work fine. For others not so much.

Plus it is a question of control. I don't care much for things automagically happening and being done for me. Reason being these ultimately become a point of limitation that great effort must be spent on working around and otherwise overcoming.

Give me a solid programming language and a logical API that provides a lot of tiny bite size functionality I can piece together programmatically and that is ideal for me.

AGK2 does that. I consider it a very rapid game development environment.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 16:12
Much like GarBenjamin, I'm not a fan of GUI heavy dev-tools. Give me a simple IDE where all I have to do is type in code and structure my project as I see fit, and I am happy. I'm a programmer, not an options and configuration panel navigator
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 20:38
Godot is not free, neither is Blender.
https://www.patreon.com/godotengine

You could also use Torgque 3D
http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d/licensing

or Blender Engine

or Unity or Unreal Engine or ...

why is it not free? Someone has to develope the engine for you. And if nobody would pay the Godot-guys, who would do it? So OpenSource, fine. But who will read throu all the source and extend the engine? If you will, you pay it with your time as well.

AGK has no license fee. (Unreal Engine does 5%). So how much will your game cost? Assets, additional programming, marketing, Art, Music, Animation, Visuals, etc? You can see the source code from AppGameKit, I think, in tier2, so no benefits here.

Godot, AppGameKit, GameMaker, Unreal and so on, they don't make your dream game. You have to do it youself.

And, what does GIMP cost? To much time, so I am using Photoshop or Affinity Photo. Godot or Spine? Godot or Spriter for animation? And so on. To save some bugs on Godot, you would pay on other place in your tool chain.

Would be nice, to see a little project done in AppGameKit and Godot and compare the steps needed. On Paper Adobe Flash / Animate is great. But without realy using an engine, you can't tell for sure.
I tried Godot half a year ago and two years ago. In this state I rather would use Unity, but it's not programming, it's configuring the engine, till it looks like something gamish thing. AppGameKit works without youtube and without community help, without internet.
There is a great community, but also a great help inside. And I love the APK export
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 22:07
I gave Godot a shot... the complexity of setting it up to create Android APKs was enough to send me running right back to AGK. Plus the ease at which I can test AppGameKit code on a mobile device wins me over every time.

I go through all the game engines every so often just to see if anything has changed and there's always something in them that makes me stick with AppGameKit, whether that be compile time (e.g. Stencyl is SO slow to compile), complex build environments or complicated GUIs that just get in the way.

And, like others, I'm an old school programmer... I prefer to write code and set up my project the way I want it and maybe use a visual editor to design screens, depending on the project.

hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
I also look for other engine sometimes...what reallydraw me into other engine is only faster setup,pathfinding and 3d editor. So i tried and purchase Unity+Playmaker and UE4 and godot 3. My opinion, learning UI playing with option setting is quite troublesome for me, i guess i learn them slowly in return to faster developement later.And i prefer Logic Brick in Blender GE than visual scripting.

It faster to get action going in AGK2, and test via wifi to mobile seem not exist on GM or Clickteam.

Someone must make a brick or vs system for AGK2 since AGk2 command is readable with Set and Get. AGK2 is my main engine for now with Clickteam as platformer engine
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Honestly, at the moment I use a whole range of engines, AppGameKit 2 being a lot of fun for what it can do. I don't usually get involved in the engine vs engine debates, but I like Unity and Unreal Engine too. But they are generally a bit too 'big' for the type of smaller projects I'm currently doing. Godot 3 looks cool, but seems a bit more demanding on the side of programming? The benefit of say Unity is there are at least a thousand tutorials available lol.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 17:55
I love creating my own Engines instead of relying on other companies systems, im quiet annoyed that Unity has the top search lists in google too - drives me up the wall seeing Unity everywhere..

I want to feel proud that i have created something right from the bear bones of my developments

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 18:02 Edited at: 28th Feb 2018 18:18
That's for certain @PHeMoX! I have tried a lot of other engines and frameworks as well. And Unity's biggest strengths in my opinion are (1) the massive amount of videos and articles on it all over the net. Tons of tutorials on building different kinds of games. They are not always quality material but at least they can provide a starting point or share a tidbit of information that is just expected you know although rarely mentioned... and (2) the Unity Asset store where developers can buy game templates, systems "modules" to plug in and use, graphics and audio, shaders etc.

If AGK2 had these two things I think it would attract a lot more people... at least many programming oriented game developers who are currently either struggling to develop the way they want to fighting against the workflows of engines such as Unity or are using any of the multitude of obscure orogramming frameworks out there. I think people basically don't even know what AGK2 is capable of.

Ultimately this is on us... the community... to do. When we are working on a project make some YT videos on it, make a blog about it, at the very least make a thread here on it. And share share share the knowledge the code etc. From what I have seen this community already eagerly shares their work so that is awesome. We just need more of it being done and more of it on external sites (YT, blogs etc). IMO.

Same for assets... we need to fill the TGC store with great stuff from graphics to audio to tutorials to game templates to systems and tools.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Naughty Alien
Years of Service
User Offline
...thats okay..different tools, different expectations i guess...personally, i found AppGameKit rather interesting piece of software, under which im rewriting entire game framework for point and click adventures...what i like the most is, it does really let you focus on to writing an actual game, rather than tweaking API for this or that target...that is something what attracted me here and so far i see no reason to use any other solution, game development related..i wish you best with Godot..
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2018 12:45
Mobile platforms rely on speed - if you want to go state of the art. Most unity apps are c# store-patchwork code. C# is no real binary code.
AGK (Tier2) does compile true c++ binary code, and will always be faster on mobile devices.
AGK provides an optimal template.

Comparing a GUI based engine to AppGameKit is a silly thing^^

Also Tier1 for rapid prototyping, Tier2 for perfection.
Most of the time T1 is enough.

What I actually miss is a Speech to AppGameKit voice recogniser on AppGameKit mobile

[/url]
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2018 14:08
Good luck on Godot, I just want to announce that I am switching to AppGameKit BASIC from AppGameKit C++, and then back, and then the other way again, several times a day, depending on what part of my project I am working on
13/0
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2018 15:27 Edited at: 1st Mar 2018 15:28
@Cybermind lol ... thanks for the laugh. Yeah I did think it a bit odd that a person made a thread to announce they are switching to a certain game engine. But I thought well they have been a member for 6 years and may have been very active here and just wanted to let folks know so they wouldn't be wondering what happened to them. Maybe?

Anyway good luck with your switching back & forth between BASIC & C++
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 06:58
Reading on the following page:
https://godotengine.org/article/godot-3-0-released
Quote: "
Using GDNative, it's possible to easily extend Godot in C/C++ without recompiling the engine, and that for any platform. This also means that it's easy to bundle external libraries (such as OpenVR, Steam, Kinect, SQLite, etc.), or provide support for video/audio codecs, VR, etc. as pluggable libraries.
"

This is a nice feature I would like to see in AGK.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 08:18
Surely this is in the wrong forum and should have been posted on the Godot forum?

Personally I have LOADS of tools in my toolbox from my own engine (Ultim), AGK2, Unity etc all have strengths and weaknesses but I never stop using what I think is the best tool for the job
-EdzUp
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 12:16
I am not sure what's achieved to make a post to say you're using other tools, other than to perhaps poke at the fact you're no longer using the tools people here are using? Or to imply there are greener pastures over at GODOT? I recall this from our Blitzbasic vs Dark Basic days.

But I generally say, more power to the people to find what's right for them, there's so much variety you could become a multi-language/multi-tool user or specialise and stick with what you know, what you love and what you enjoy. I've always liked what TGC offer because the tools are powerful enough to used to create an excellent project without the need to move away from them and simple enough to be a really good stepping stone for somebody who is starting out and may not end up being the tool people settle with, but a good learning experience along the way and getting people into the mind of programming and development. At the end of the day, you've gotta go with what works for you and for everybody that is different and also depends on whether you're going into something in a professional environment or your own personal environment. If the latter, you can just settle down with what you like and think "screw the world, this is what works for me."

In terms of game development tools, my favourite ended up being Dark Basic Pro and Unity3D, for different reasons. I realise I am still old school in TGC products and AppGameKit has pretty much replaced DBP, maybe one day I will properly learn the AppGameKit way of doing things.

Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2018 22:53
He'll be back. I know it. They always come back.
Imaginations' greatest gift is the knowledge you supply it.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2018 13:34
It is true, nobody ever truly leaves.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:01:33
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:01:33