Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / HeatWave Now in Itch.io and the GitHub GameOff 2017!

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2017 15:33 Edited at: 1st Dec 2017 15:33
Hey Everyone!

Our game, HeatWave (developed with AGK) is now on Itch.io and has been submitted to the GitHub GameOff 2017!

Check it out at

https://robricky.itch.io/heatwave

Robert Janes (Samu Games)
http://www.samugames.com/artifact
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 1st Dec 2017 16:56
Suggestion Break your code into multiple files.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2017 17:01
I love this style of art work, not had chance to try the game yet but looks very cool.
BuccaneerBob
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2017 00:22
Indeed, I really do need to pick it apart and put it into different files rather than keeping it jumbled the way it is, it's also poorly commented and as you can see, a lot of it near the end got half-assed as I was trying to meet a deadline!

Fear not, we plan to keep developing this and it will always be opened source so I will continue to make changes and make the source easier for people to understand!
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2017 01:29
That is one gorgeous looking game!
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2017 22:52 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2017 22:57
good looking game
some feedback..
- if you click a location while the "you escaped" text is on screen it will get stuck on screen.
- if you click the phone in your apartment, clicking 'next' when the message is displayed will always cause you to sleep (don't think this really matters as it only appears to save the game but it may be an issue in future).
- lower level drugs become useless very quickly due to the carry limit and the fact you just make more money from the most expensive drugs you can afford (plus the fact the cops only spawn on sales) makes selling lower level drugs much more risky than higher level (rolling more often means more chance of getting cops, even "if" they generate less heat but i recommend making the price gaps higher and vastly increasing the heat level rise for higher drugs so that it becomes more useful to sell more than just 1 type of drug)
- it doesn't seem to penalize you for moving between areas (only running from the police makes you tired?) - therefore you can easily only sell in the areas with the best prices (you usually get tired before you need the 4th area).
- selling in an area should reduce the price a tiny bit for the drug sold, this will help negate the above issue.
- moving between areas should cause some tiredness (if it doesn't already? it certainly didn't seem to)
- i would hide the heat bar, you can see it when the cops are chasing you anyway and it would add some guesswork as to when you should stop selling (although it's already very random, i assume it's a random chance based on your current heat level? i just got unlucky maybe because i quite frequently had the cops come on my first sell in an area when moving from a previous - perhaps it's not getting the right heat level at first and using the old area's heat level for the first sale?).
- a way to see your tiredness would be nice.
- all drug dealers should sell all drugs (but at random prices like the selling areas), combined with the tiredness from moving between areas this would mean you need to waste part of your day looking for good prices.
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
BuccaneerBob
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 06:59
Loving the feedback!

I will see what I can do to tackle some of those issues!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 18:46
The visual style is fantastic.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 18:38
Reminds me of a game I played in QBasic.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
BuccaneerBob
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2018 03:13 Edited at: 4th Feb 2018 03:13
Hey Everyone,

HeatWave did great in the 2017 GitHub GameOff. Taking first place in audio, third in graphics, and eleventh overall out of hundreds of competitors.

You can play the version that was sent in for the GameOff here https://robricky.itch.io/heatwave though we're actively working (sort-of-we-are-taking-a-quick-breather-to-update-a-previous-game) on a new version for Steam and mobile devices.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 01:33 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 01:34
This looks very well done. Impressive for a game jam!

Also I get it about the code. While it is great to put time into the program structure... focus is best kept on getting the game actually done. Then in any time left (which is basically none ever from what I have seen) handle these other things.

Anyway great job!
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks quite amazing indeed. Wonderful art style.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:09:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:09:41