Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Doom3 Officially up and running

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 01:22
As the time draws ever closer to Doom3's release date, it is time to get anticipated and wet yourself with joy over what will be one of the best fps action/horror titles in a good long while.

http://www.doom3.com ... the trailer really is of movie style quality rather than the usual, "they run sing and jump" kinda thing. just love it, and it really does show off some good things of the game; but trust me they've not made the mistake of showing the best features in the trailer. there is SOOOOO much they didn't show even remotely

wish it were a lil bigger though, but still looks decent downloaded and in quicktime double size ^_^
checkout the new screenshots too hehee some beauties with the new shaders. The new normal mapping just looks as fine as my ladies ass ^_^ hard to believe these are only 3,000 polygons models being thrown around as opposed to Half-Life2's 7,000 polygon hehee

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 01:56
Nice trailer. There's a DVD version of it on January's PC Zone that I got last week.

Boo!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 02:45
Amusing that they're using the font Diablo and Diablo II made famous-- what's it called... ah, Exocet. It's a very nice font though.

Good looking site, indeed.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 02:54
I have to ask... does anyone else think that despite the models having very nice builds and high poly counts, the textures on them look awful? I'm not sure if it's just how glaring the sharp lighting is, but a large quantity of those creatures look just plain gray, no texture detail at all. Then again, that always was a failing of ids, just look at Q3's weapons... still...

A very nice %it, indeed.
Archaikz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 06:54 Edited at: 20th Dec 2003 06:54
Mouse I think the font is just some generic gothic font. I dont think its anything special. Oh and thats hilarious they said "This game has not yet been rated". I mean wth just slap a big M on it and be done with it; no use even gothing through the process.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 17:41
Stop pretending that you've played it Raven.
It's getting really annoying

Dsarchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 17:53
Chris i dont think that Raven said that he had played it at all lol. What makes you say that?

I think there is going to be a VS.

DOOM 3
VS
Half Life 2

HL2 has some pretty complex AI/Physics and the graphics are as good as Dooms.

I think like everything now. Its going to come down to Online Play. I wonder what Dooms got to offer. Think about it HL2 is gonna have some really sweet CS for it whats doom goona get CTF lol i dunno ill have to wait ill guess

"Is it really good is a hoover sucks?"
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 17:55
He claimed in another thread that he had played it.
He also says here that he knows all of the features that aren't in the video.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 19:01 Edited at: 20th Dec 2003 19:03
Half lifes AI looks just to simple. I mean you could just
see where the badeys are going to walk to. On one of the demo
videos they just walk in front of this swinging beam. Why couldent
they have just ducked. Thats what I call an acting game.... Look out
for thet beam my baddey frend....should I duck or maybey I should
run NO! Ill just stand here and git hit so Half Life man could
see me git hit and say cool!

Im just going to git it to see how that new way of making games
is. you know a STORY for onece in a game.

I dont know how to spell
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 20:19
Chris grow up, most people here have played one of the three leaked betas ... so it's not like i'd be the only one here to have played a pre-release.

But for those who haven't had the time, connection or computer to play the leaks; the video gives you a pretty good overview.
I'd say look at the trailer, very very closely.

the end few second are scripted, quite obviously so hehee just to add that flare. But the rest are realtime, non-scripted events that happen.
Things DO burst out of this Bio-Tubes if you disturb them enough or press the wrong button. Things can burst out of walls, your only warning is in the Surround Sound system which works with any Stereo or Surround 16bit Card (but SB Live!/Audigy really is what you want)
The game might not have the hyper realistic approach of HL2, but what they've done is try to give the player a very atmospheric experience from the graphics->music->lighting->sounds ... everything steps up so that your heart is always pumping, particularly with the intensive storyline governing the game.

I know this probably will end up as a HL2 vs Doom3, but sorry these games are different leagues; each will appeal to different people.
This game has had an extra 6months development (thanks to the whole HL2 ruckus) which looks like it's been well spent.

Doom3 has one hell of a story, and it'll make even most of the hardened horror fans jump with fear. ^_^
this game is gonna rock!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Although the graphics and things look nice. The game looks too much like Half Life, and Unreal Tournament. The trailer was boring. Nothing interested me in the game at all, except some of the screenshots, which had a minute amount of originality.

Pincho.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 00:16
I think Doom 3 might get a bit boring if its all just in the labs. Same old metalic corridors again and again. Hopefully it will have enough one-off things to make it last.

Dsarchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 00:32
Well you say that they are in two different leagues but i dont agree.

Both are a science fiction (ok Doom is more horror but the idea is from scientists doing experiments on mars) FPS's.

Both by the looks of it need a high end PC lol.

So how are they different?

me showing my ignorance again probs .

vivi

"Is it really good is a hoover sucks?"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 01:18
Both Sci-Fi, yes... Both FPS, yes...
However niether need high-end PC's (unless you want to run at full graphics, even then Doom3 isn't any more demanding that Halo)

So how are they different?
Stories are completely different for one,
In terms of films, Doom3 would be Resident Evil or Project Code 24
Half-Life2 would be Stargate, or Star Trek.

The differences being that although HL2 is more real world set, the actual dynamics of the game edge more towards the scifi; whereas Doom3 has elements of scifi but is relying more on the horror side of things.

Secondly is the graphics engines, HL2's is very much designed for realism ... Doom3's is designed for Atmosphere.

You then cometo gameplay, HL2's is an evolution or rather a single step up from Half-Life. Doom3 is again built for atmosphere, to give the player a sense of being chased and anxious all the time. (however Valve and id always have had EXTREMELY different playability engines, now it is far more apparent)

Next up is the Level detail, although HL2 has destoryable terrain which is interactable with the physics engine; makes a nice touch. Everything for it has to be pre-scripted. Which means the levels are only as interactable as the level designer makes them.
Which also means although the world seems complete and fully interactiable, your still doing a PointA->PointB style of challenge gameplay. The new Chapters setup does give you a little freedom from this, but still the game is 100% linear.

Doom3 on the other hand is a fully interactive world. Yes, you have mission objectives, but the route you take is completely upto you as the player. Also the only things scripted ingame are the cutscenes; those bits your see of the creatures bursting from the walls, that had nothing to do with the level design or anything like that. Those creatures have either tracked the player til they think they can attack safely else just heard them and decided to make thier own door.

Sorry but the main reason i think HL2 and Doom3 are different beasties is that ID Software has tried to make Doom3 and evolution on thier previous titles and give the player as awesome a single player experience as possible.
Valve on the other hand have just added to thier Half-Life formula hoping that the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying is true.

you want to know what Half-Life2 is like there are many places sporting the HL1.5 engine exe which will upgrade HL with the Source engine. Sure the new polycounts and animations make HL2 nice and all; but really HL2 is all superficial.
Doom3 is the one thats gone from superficious violence and a reason to just blast at anything that moves to a game with more depth than the atlantic ocean.

id software have really tried their best to bring to the table a title worthy of carrying the name Doom3; and just watch the trailer again, don't look at the graphics, look at what it's showing you as part of the game. And remember no scripted game events; it is an OPEN GAME.

Doom3 is exactly what i'd hoped Space Hulk would be when i started it 3years ago... as i'm finally nearing the completion of my game, only another 8months to go with it if all goes well; i just hope it can be half the game that Doom3 is. The player is finally playing the game rather than playing a linear story with action.
sorry but that excites me, but i guess to most of you HL2's glitz seems far better.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 01:28
One of the only gripes I have with Doom3 are the enemy designs. Skeletons with jetpacks? Spiders with upside down heads? I mean seriously, those are just stupid.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 01:37
kevin.cloud@idsoftware.com ... i believe that's the person you want to be saying that too hehee

seriously though, i mean he was something like 17 at the time; you come up with crazy ass things when your younger hehee.

but then again ghost hunter has a ghost entirely made up from VW parts - there are weirder things in games hahaa

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 01:44
It reminds me a lot of Unreal. Let's just hope its better, cause Unreal2 sucked big time.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 01:46
I dunno - Unreal 2 was pretty good.

The place for all great plug-ins
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 03:43 Edited at: 21st Dec 2003 03:47
So Kevin Cloud made these models in the mid 80's ?

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 03:58
So in DOOM3 there arnt going to be times were things happen all the time? also in one of Half Lifes videos one of the badeys was behind a car and he was shooting and his gun wasint even level with the direction of the bulit. Its like things are placed to happen in that game.

I dont know how to spell
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 06:04 Edited at: 21st Dec 2003 06:08
yeah exactly Slayer, thats why i'm looking forward to Doom3 and not HL2.

and empty don't be a twat all your life, Kevin create the sprites for Doom 1|2|Ultimate which is what Exeat was on about.
[edit-] just out of interest you are aware that the eldest member of id will be 31 this year right?
hell John Carmack is only 28 this year... id software was created from apogee when the founding members were old enough to actually own a company. (hense why Wolf3D is an Apogee title but Doom is an id Software title )

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 13:16
Excerpt from an interview (Gamasutra)
Quote: "Q: When did you join the company Kevin, and what were you doing beforehand?

Kevin Cloud: I started with id on March 10, 1992. They were midway through the development of Wolfenstein 3-D at that time. Prior to joining id I worked as a computer artist for about seven years at Softdisk. Currently I'm one of three owners at id, along with John Carmack, Adrian Carmack"

Let's assume Kevin Cloud is 31 now, that means 1992 he was 20, that again means he started his career at Softdisk at the age of 13?

Apogee distributed Wolfenstein 3D, id software created it (and so says the original package). Plus this source:
Quote: "Responsible for some of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed video games of all time, id's ferociously independent staff of artists, programmers and designers have been rocking the gaming world from Mesquite, Texas since 1991. Ushering in a new era of interactive entertainment with genre-defining blockbusters like Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM and QUAKE, id has secured itself a place in gaming history as one of the fathers of the modern video game."

Guess where this quote comes from.

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 14:36
I'll be buying both

My personal bet is on HL2 being the best - but you never know.

BlueGUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BlueIDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 11:20
Looks awesome, but I'm only really interested in the X-Box version, any screenshots of how that's shaping up?

Van-B

Next time he runs past, GRAB HIM!
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 21:13
Why would you wont to play it on XBOX? no mouse. I hate playing
on the tv. no fun at all.

I dont know how to spell
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 21:17
[cough]xbox sucks[/cough]

FPS are no fun w/o mouse and keyboard, consoles are not for FPS. i just tried playing HALO again (havnt played it since i got HPC) on the xbox, it is SO SLOW! you walk so slow. it bugs me

WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 21:26 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 21:27
The reason that the original HL was so great was because ALMOST ANYTHING could be done with Mods and the Multi-player was IMO the best of any game to date.
As a single player game, it is hard to know which one will be better until you play them and NO ONE here has. My bet is that Doom3 might be slightly better for the single player experience. However, when it comes to mod-ing and multiplayer, I don't think Doom3 will even come close to HL2. That is what makes those kind of games last and is why in the long run HL2 will still be full price when Doom3 is in the bargain bin.

On a side note:
I bet you can mod HL2 to resemble DOOM3 a lot closer than you can mod DOOM3 to resemble HL2.

WOLF

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 22:24 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 22:25
Well most people wont to play a good game. were new thngs happen
all the time and wont repeat itself every time you play it. I think DOOM3 is that game. also on Halo XBOX they had the game run at 30 FPS
what do you think they will do with DOOM3, 20 FPS LOL . PC is the way to go if you got a good card and memory. Im giting the FX 700 ultra so I think ill be playing on PC.

I dont know how to spell
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 22:44 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 23:01
I should think the X-box system specs are below the minimum for best performance in DoomIII, you gotta remeber the X-box is a 700mhz pc with a Pre-FX videocard, that has to be too low to play DoomIII at any reasonable resolution and speed, they must have cut truckloads out of it, anybody know what the minimum system spec is for DoomIII??? (too lazy to look)

Mentor.

ok! I looked, the least it will run on according to God (Carmack) is

Quote: "With all the hubbub floating around the net lately about what would and what wouldn't run DOOM³, we decided to bring an end to the system requirement confusion and contact the main man, John Carmack, himself. Here is the official word on the minimum system configuration you'll need to run Doom³.

1GHz CPU
256MB RAM
GF1 or Radeon 7xxx series card"

so the Xbox is lacking 300mhz to run Doom at minimum spec, any X-box version will be low res and antialiased to look non-chunky and smooth on the average tv at some low res like 480x320 or something (IMO), or they chop huge chunks of the logic out and make the textures simpler, the models lower poly and the levels smaller.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 1x160Gb HD (using 2 overheats ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800 128mb.
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 22:54
Also take a look at Max Payne on the XBOX. It loaded like
20 tims for one stage. I just can think of how many times DOOM3
will load for the XBOX!

I dont know how to spell
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 23:51
Quote: "I dunno - Unreal 2 was pretty good."

It looked good, but gameplay and storyline was weak. I beat the game in no time at all. And no, it wasn't set and super easy. Compared to the first Unreal, which took months to play, doesn't even come close. Anyone wanna buy my copy of Unreal2?
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 00:45 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2003 04:07
Quote: "It looked good, but gameplay and storyline was weak. I beat the game in no time at all. And no, it wasn't set and super easy. Compared to the first Unreal, which took months to play, doesn't even come close. Anyone wanna buy my copy of Unreal2?"

There has been a multiplayer expansion released for Unreal 2. Its free to download you just need the original CDs of course.

Head over to http://www.unreal2.com to get it. Might make the game a bit more of a worth while purchase.

Quote: " Well most people wont to play a good game. were new thngs happen
all the time and wont repeat itself every time you play it. I think DOOM3 is that game. also on Halo XBOX they had the game run at 30 FPS
what do you think they will do with DOOM3, 20 FPS LOL . PC is the way to go if you got a good card and memory. Im giting the FX 700 ultra so I think ill be playing on PC."

I've got Halo on PC and XBox. I only got the XBox version for the co-op mode. Finished single player on PC already.

Now, about Doom3. I'm going to get both also, don't know on what platform though. I'll wait and see.

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 00:57 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2003 01:03
Quote: "There has been a multiplayer expansion released for Unreal 2. Its free to download you just need the original CDs of course."

About time... - cant seem to find it though...

Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 04:07 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2003 04:09
http://www.unreal2.com/download_xmp.html

There you go. 274MB. 29% on my 56k so far.

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 05:25
Would be nice if ppl would NOT use fileplanet for once.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 11:15 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2003 11:38
Thanks - time to re-install the great Unreal 2 then And there was me, going to sell it...

Assuming I can actually download it, that is - its 500'ing...

However, found somewhere else I can get it from

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 11:41
Anyhoo, I'm certainly looking forward to Doom 3 more than HL2 - hope the AI for the former game is better than HL2's...

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 13:34
The thing that people forget with console FPS games, is that you have an analogue straffe - which you use to quickly adjust your aim, I'm just as accurate and quick with a chunky X-Box controller as I am with a mouse. The added comfort of sitting on your couch and playing on a decent sized screen is great.

I think you guys underestimate the X-Box, remember that it isn't bogged down with the usual PC baggage, so it's quicker than an equivalent machine, probably by 200-300 mhz. I know this because my 1.1ghz GF2 system looks like crud in comparison to the X-Box. I honestly prefer console FPS games to anything on the PC, Halo on X-Box is damn near perfect IMO. Perhaps my appreciation for consoles comes from my major dissapointment with PC games on a whole.

No doubt they will cut Doom3 and HL2 down for X-Box though - but I don't care.

Van-B

Next time he runs past, GRAB HIM!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 13:38 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2003 13:39
I just cant be as accurate with an XBox controller as I can be with a mouse - movement is too slow. The other problem (at this is for all consoles) is that your playing on a TV - even with a SCART socket, the graphics are blurry (especially at a distance) - and its hard to make any detail out.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The X Box isn't the PC equivelent of 700 mhz because it has no Windows running on it. Dos games that didn't use windows were always fast. It's probably the same as 1800+ to 2 gig.

Pincho.
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 14:54 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2003 15:05
Quote: "Also take a look at Max Payne on the XBOX. It loaded like
20 tims for one stage. I just can think of how many times DOOM3
will load for the XBOX!"

Technically, with no lightmap calculations involved, the loading times of Doom3 should be fairly quick right?

Oh and btw, I'm pro Doom3. It will definitely kick HL2 ass, hands down.
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
The controls for a FPS on a console are NOT as nice as a PC, BUT...
EVERYONE is using the same thing. So, it dosn't really matter.

What IS nice about playing on a console is it is so easy to network. All you need is for a friend to bring over their X-box and you instantly can have 8 players. I can't imagine having 7 friends bring over thier PC's. When you get to online play the PC is definately better, but that is no way as fun as having a bunch of people in your living room playing.

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 16:04
pincho: xbox has windoze (customised by the makers and cut down natch) and runs Directx (not known for being a Dos system), it has a modified filesystem to stop the punters using it as a PC but it`s still a dedicated windoze machine, same video (DX9.0 and card driver by makers), same filesystem controler software, same sound system (DX), same keyboard and controler interfaces (DX), same networking setup(DX), same memory management,etc, etc.
You can`t compare how fast Dos games ran with a modern PC, look at the filesizes for Dos games, most of them came new out of the box one one or two floppys, even the later dos games on cd where puny and bulked out with bad video sequences to fill up the CD, modern games shift huge amounts of data compared to old Dos titles, and that takes time.
One of the reasons you didn`t see a dos version of Halo is cos it would have been insanity to expect the user to erase everything off his hardrive and buy a cd player just to install and run it on his top of the range £2000+ machine, plus the computers back then where not fast enough, nor did they have the resources, they could only just run Doom at decent framerates, and we didn`t have 3D acceleration worth anything, and nobody knew how to code Halo because you don`t write code for a super machine that doesnt even exist in theory (how many people at the moment are writing code for a 30terrahz 512gig gig ram machine with a 40 googlebyte HD and raytraced GFX with surround VR minimum spec??)
The only thing that makes the X-box look fast is that they have a fixed machine to code for, with some hand optimised assembler in places and a pretty good GFX card, thats why the PS2 (very old tech by modern standards), can still hold a fanbase, it ain`t fast but the coders can lean on every quirk and trick they know to provide the effects they want, but the X-box is still a 700mhz machine, and my desktop PC can eat it for breakfast (300mhz to run Xp (its min spec) leaves 2.7ghz to run Doom ) and still have room for x-box 2.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 1x160Gb HD (using 2 overheats ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800 128mb.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah but Dos games could be run in windows as well, and they ran much slower in windows. The size of the games doesn't matter, it's the percentage of slowdown that windows causes that matters. So if a game is 32k and runs at half the speed in Windows, then it will still run at half the speed if its 100Meg. You can't multitask a computer game without slowdown. Maybe the cut down version of Windows is still a lot faster than normal windows.

Pincho.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 22:55
Pincho: but windows was running Dos as a task, the slowdown wasn`t due to Windows slowing down Dos, it was due to the PC running Dos AND it`s own Windows services at the same time (IE: Dos was another task), besides...you ever tried to play something like XCom appocalypse (Dos Game with no proper speed limiting) on a modern PC?, like WOW! it never ran that fast in Dos (ie: unplayably fast ).
Anyway, it`s a moot point, Xp only needs a recommended 300mhz to run and still have enough of the system left to run software as well, so theres no way removing the OS (which IS still there eating CPU cycles in a X-box ) gives you double the speed out of thin air, the best you can hope for is whatever percentage of 300mhz Xp leaves over for software normaly from 300mhz, and thats only gonna be something like 150-200mhz speed hike, still below the minimum spec for Doom, and you can`t get round that.
Just like they had to cut Max Payne down for the X-box, (and that was hardly state of the art like Doom is...even the people selling it admit that Doom needs a serious PC to run it and look decent), Doom will have to be trimmed even more heavily than Max to run on a system spec that is below it`s minimum and still be worth playing, it`s just one of those things, you can`t build a PC for that money...even discounted heavily (and thats effectivley what the X-box is..a discounted PC), and expect it to compete with any up-to-date top end machine, the Gfx card is already out of date, and the CPU is so low spec I doubt you can buy a PC so slow even in the budget section of PC world. (just checked....you can`t....£499 buys you 1.2ghz with TFT monitor)

Mentor.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 01:08
Quote: "ok! I looked, the least it will run on according to God (Carmack) is

[quote]With all the hubbub floating around the net lately about what would and what wouldn't run DOOM³, we decided to bring an end to the system requirement confusion and contact the main man, John Carmack, himself. Here is the official word on the minimum system configuration you'll need to run Doom³.

1GHz CPU
256MB RAM
GF1 or Radeon 7xxx series card"

so the Xbox is lacking 300mhz to run Doom at minimum spec, any X-box version will be low res and antialiased to look non-chunky and smooth on the average tv at some low res like 480x320 or something (IMO), or they chop huge chunks of the logic out and make the textures simpler, the models lower poly and the levels smaller.[/quote]

firstly the XBox runs on a pure version of Windows 2000,
overhead costs are literally what the base libraries cost. In other words your getting pure x86 speed.

this IS 10-15% faster than the MacOS/Linux/Irix/Windows equivilants
secondly, Doom3 doesn't have the DirectX overhead; another very IMPORTANT factor as OpenGL's overhead again is another 10% of speed for the graphics and processor.

next you have a Direct version of Forceware supplied on the Doom3 DvD which also happens to be optimised for the XBox.

next remember that GeForce256 and Radeon 75xx (ie non shader, ie TnL based cards) are the ones being supported.
A standard GeForce4 4200 Ti (essentially what the XBox has) is capable of rendering 3D and FSAA upto 8x faster than the GeForce256.
Infact the GeForce4 Titanium Range are still very very high performing cards, remember they can keep up with Radeon 9600/9800's in the sub PS2.0/VS2.0 tests quite admirably. Which is why alot of GeForce fans are still using the 4 Titainium over the FX-Series; simply because they're just as fast, they just don't have the DirectX9 features everyone is yapping on about. which for an OpenGL game matter about as much as having Ham at a Vegetarian comvention.

The XBox can and does handle Doom3 at 800x600x32 full Pixel and Vertex Shaders at 30fps... which is a capped rate.
On the PC the minimum and ONLY fps is 60fps.
I'm sure some of the more boring of you without a life can search the net to find out the answer why the game has been setup like this.

But to be honest don't really care if you can, it is however an important factor in this.
Doom3 on the XBox look exactly like the PC version (well unless you have a top of the range gaming rig :: coughs :: hehee)
unlike HL2 this sucker will very very very happily run at full speed at 1600x1200x32 on my Athlon64 FX-51 | GF5900 Ultra 512Mb | 3Gb Ram | Windows XP Media Center 2004 ... at 8x FSAA 8x AF without a single complaint of falter in speed.

Hell it can do that even on this silly new laptop of mine, which is simply a P4 2.5ghz Mobile | 512mb Ram | GeForceFX 5900Go!
(there ain't much to do here in wales cept get bored alot hahaa)

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 01:16
Thought the XBOX uses a modified version of Windows XP.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 01:20
'unlike HL2 this sucker will very very very happily run at full speed at 1600x1200x32 on my Athlon64 FX-51 | GF5900 Ultra 512Mb | 3Gb Ram | Windows XP Media Center 2004 ... at 8x FSAA 8x AF without a single complaint of falter in speed.'

Well, we'll just see when it's released ... from what I've heard and seen, HL2 will run far better with those specifications than HL2 will. And HL2 has large open enviroments, soft shadows, etc and generally looks a helluvalot better.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 02:48
Quote: "All you need is for a friend to bring over their X-box and you instantly can have 8 players."

Yeah, but they each have to bring their own TV just as well
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 05:22
No you could play on like two tvs.

I dont know how to spell

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:34:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:34:45