Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / aoe II stopped working :(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess the last time I played was a night before I left to go away. I closed it, came home later (never turned my comp off) and I keep getting an error: Age of Empires II has encountered an error and needs to close.

Try as I may I can't get it to work again. I've uninstalled and reinstalled so many times I think i'm going crazy. It couldn't be the disk because I never took out of the CD drive and still haven't. I've also tried reinstalling to a brand new directory, restarting, etc. No luck.

i doubt anyone here will be able to offer help but it really pisses me off to say the least. damn, this was one of my favorite games, and like unreal tournament 2003 (which was another favorite) it stopped working for no apparent reason. gah.

p.s. UT could still run, i just couldn't connect to the internet with it.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 05:05
Well it's just possible you'll have forgotten to restart through all this, so I'll just mention it . It's possible a fragment of the task is still hanging in your memory.

Can't think of anything else...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 08:49
AoE usually won't run if the machine has been on for awhile. It's usually best to play the game after a fresh reboot.
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 20:16
just try leaving you pc completely off for an hour or so, ie completely unplug it so there is no power whatsoever to completely clear any residual data in ram that may be causing it, if it still doesn't run then run a virus scanner.

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD duron 1.3G, 640Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
like i said i already tried rebooting, and turning my computer completely off, but i didn't try unplugging it entirely to free any excess memory. thanks mm3zct I'll try it

any other suggestions, keep 'em coming.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 01:46
I knew someone who had Age of Mythology. It worked for awhile, then one day it just stopped working. Tried everything. Could be something in the registry, cause that's the only thing that wouldn't be cleared from an uninstall. Then again, we must remember that this is a Microsoft game.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 19:49
True. Reinstalling sometimes dosen't do it. For example, once Micrsoft Works stopped working on me out of nowhere. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and nothing changed. But after I manually removed the registry entries and trace program files, and installed it, it worked again . I recommend you try that.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright. I used to have a really good program that showed you what registry keys were used by what programs, but I lost it after I reformatted. Anyone have a suggestion as to what to use?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:26:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:26:09