Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Inside Collision

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 15:38
Basically I have a room I made in my modelling program, have flipped the normals so you can see it from the inside and it all works fine and dandy except when I get to collision.

I'm basically just using box collision to find out when objects collide but I'm not sure what to use for the room object because obviously you have to be able to walk inside it and only collide when you hit the wall.

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Feel free to try out our collision system. It can handle multiple objects and/or solid meshes. Great for rooms

Link is below.

Lead Programmer/Director
Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro: http://www.nuclearglory.com
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 16:33
maybe look into static collision boxes? check the help files for more info...

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 18:06
Is the player always inside the room?
If so, you can use normal collision but say "If blahblah=0", ie. when they aren't colliding.

You can always fall back on maths collision.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 01:47
Quote: "Feel free to try out our collision system. It can handle multiple objects and/or solid meshes. Great for rooms "

I know, your DLL looks excellent but I'm waiting until TGC pays me to my PayPal account for a tutorial I wrote before I purchase it.

Quote: "maybe look into static collision boxes? check the help files for more info..."

I thought I recalled Indi saying they didn't work properly in a different post. Then again, I've never actually tried.

Quote: "Is the player always inside the room?
If so, you can use normal collision but say "If blahblah=0", ie. when they aren't colliding"

That gave me an idea so I think I can get it to work, thanks.

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 12:42 Edited at: 21st Dec 2003 12:43
you could export every side of the box separetly and then put box collision on each of the sides, or just use the intersect object command for the collision. If you don't know how to do it with the intersect object command, I can give you an easy to understand code

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb ddr sdram

http://www.apollostudio.nl/
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 02:12
Woah, never saw that last post lol. How do you use the Intersect Object command? I've tried messing around with it a bit but can't get it to work. Thanks.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 12:31
I hate to throw the same thing back at you, but Nuclear Glory's .dlls are perfect. You just need either DBPro, or the enhancement pack for Classic, then load the .dll
v1.5 is free, and 2.02 is $15 with free updates, free if you switch platforms (Classic, Pro, and god forbid Blitz3d). They are very much so beautiful (it's late, I may not sense make much).

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: The First Room (FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 13:45
If it's a square room (basically a box) then you could use the
sort of thing. This is not a very good solution because it only works with totally square/rectangular rooms and it's basically a lazy solution

Am I the only one here who's really confused?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 13:39:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 13:39:41