Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / the future of dark basic professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

yesterday i read an article about the new os microsoft is working on, called polaris. microsoft is planning to use pure 64bit architecture, leaving old 32bit apps and games in the dust. i don't know much about this os or about microsofts plans. but i think it is time to think about the future of dark basic pro.

what are your thoughts about the current dark basic pro? do you think that dark basic pro is worth to be updated to modern windows, modern direct x and 64 bit architecture? what would you change if you could? what features you'd like to see added?
"It is only slightly easier than changing all sugar in a cake into stevia after it has already been baked" -Bisqwit
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 11:01
From what I've understood Polaris is just a new attempt at pulling that crap with a "lightweight Windows 10 version that only runs Universal Windows Platform applications". So any relatively clever person will presumably still be able to use the full version of Windows 10 even when that comes out for cheaper / free.
If they truly mean to push that as the future though... I think more things than 32-bit support will be in trouble. So lets hope it won't come to that...

As for DarkBASIC I think it is certainly in need of a reimplementation since several years now. It really should have support for things like building 64-bit applications, DX11/12/Vulkan, multithreading and probably some sort of OOP.
Ideally it should stay modular but focused around some common interface such that you can still add (first or third party) libraries that for example lets you use OpenGL or a different lighting system instead, while still being interoperable with the rest.
Unfortunately there is very little that remains of the DB community, with most people having moved onto the modern, pretty-much-free-to-use-unless-you-start-earning-money AAA game engines that there's just no hope to compete with.
Still, if I had unlimited free time and no economic requirements, I would jump at the opportunity to work on an upgraded DB version such as outlined above. If nothing else then as a tribute to what originally got me started and stirred my interest in programming all those years ago.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 20:54
Quote: "Still, if I had unlimited free time and no economic requirements, I would jump at the opportunity to work on an upgraded DB version such as outlined above. If nothing else then as a tribute to what originally got me started and stirred my interest in programming all those years ago."

OK. So the next step is to get you unlimited free time and no economic requirements.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2018 21:59
I play Dark Basic Professional like a video game. That is when I am bored with other things I have a few half made DBPro games that I mess with.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2018 23:40
Well the future is really AppGameKit now from TGC's perspective. There is no official support for DBPro now.

To be honest I think it will be fine as is providing Microsoft don't suddenly implement something to make DX9 no longer work on Windows. There is a risk of that happening but its less likely than someone doing all the work required to make it DX11/12 and 64bit.

Personally I used DBPro and Unity so if DBPro ever does become obsolete I'm not having to start from scratch with something else.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2018 19:52
It wouldn't be that hard to take some existing game engine (e.g. Urho3D) and write a script layer for DarkBASIC. A lot of fundamental things would have to change, such as: Do you really need sync on and sync rate? Urho3D already supports variable time step natively. A big problem would be porting all of the DBP plugins, as essentially, you'd have to rewrite all of them. But then again, Urho3D offers lots of new functionality. You wouldn't need sparky's collision dll, or an A* path finding dll, or a physics dll. These things are already built in.

I really like the idea of programming 3D games using BASIC because it's such an easy way to learn programming in a way that's also fun. It would be awesome to see a modern "re-imagination" of DarkBASIC.
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It wouldn't be that hard to take some existing game engine (e.g. Urho3D) and write a script layer for DarkBASIC"

Do we really need this ? I mean , Urho3d , Godot , UE4 , Unity share the same concept (Component based model).Learn one of them and you pretty much learned all of them ! Do we need extra hassle for DBpro bindigs too ? C# and C++ are already 100 times more convenient to write games in than DBPro.
Of course if someone really wants to turn the freedom a of an OOP language into a procedural mess it's his choice ! But i think most of the users left DBPro for this very reason !

I can't think anything can be easier than :

[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=191567&b=5]Spark Particle engine[/href]
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199163&b=5]Transform gizmo plugin[/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:48:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:48:24