Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2018 12:34 Edited at: 20th Feb 2018 12:41
So my step based engine thing...Think blobber-like or rogue-like

I want to have some kind of visibility thing, maybe 5 to 10 units out from the player.

I haven't tried anything yet, but my first idea was to place another block on top of all the "floor" tiles and have a cylinder object that follow/surrounds the player object , and deletes the added floor objects as collisions occur. I can already see some problems with this idea....so....

Any better technique than what I have thought of?
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2018 12:39
Of course, after you visited an area, that area is always visible to the player, but I don't think the built in "Fog" command will work that way.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2018 15:39 Edited at: 20th Feb 2018 15:41
It won't no.

You might try something like layered vertical plains, with decreasing alpha transparency (most transparent up front to most opaque at back) and a dark foggy/cloudy texture. Position these at your tile edges to line the unexplored area. You could even animate these with scroll object texture
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2018 21:43
Quote: "You might try something like layered vertical plains, with decreasing alpha transparency (most transparent up front to most opaque at back) and a dark foggy/cloudy texture. Position these at your tile edges to line the unexplored area. You could even animate these with scroll object texture
"

Yes. Sounds like my block idea. I'll give it a go in the near future. Thanks.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2018 13:38
That's how I started to do it in my RTS. It's not the nicest effect of FOW, but I've never come across a really good method for this in DBP.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:24:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:24:38