Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Amstrad CPC 6128

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2018 16:05 Edited at: 24th Feb 2018 16:10
A few weeks ago I got my "new" Amstrad CPC6128k, I hadn't touch one since 30 years ago.. I remember "coding" my first game copying lines from an Amstrad magazine. I still having a lot of fun with those games, also getting a few good ideas and inspiration.

I'm sure here is one of the places where the people can understand what I'm talking about. Was cool spent a few days repairing some 3" disks

Bruce Lee (U.S.Gold) (1984)

|Nostalgic On
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2018 16:34
Added to my TODO list

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 13:47
I don't even know what an amstrad is. How does it stack up against an amiga?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 14:30
Bruce Lee was just one of the first Spectrum / Amstrad games, much like Atari. Amstrad was many popular in UK, Spain, France, also Italy, also many of games was made in US of course.

Let's say Amstrad was a step between Atari and Amiga, like the Spectrum was; both had Casette64k/Disk128k versions, surprisely Spectrum survived over all of them, maybe because was easy to copy cassettes.

About Amiga, a friend of mine bougth a 512k and make all of us obsolete In fact, Amiga500 was "the best of" on these times where one more pixel meant much. The most part of games was ported to Amiga but quickly we all moved to PC.. Anyways Amiga had during many years the best graphics.

The spanish game development golden age was in the Amstrad/Spectrum times; Opera Soft, TopoSoft, Dinamic, MicroChip, Erbe, MCM,.. did possible to distribute many Indie software around the world during years. My tribute to them.

In this link can see an Amstrad spanish game who was ported to all the platforms later in the 80's, notice the versions differences at the right.
http://computeremuzone.com/ficha.php?id=47&pg=coment&sec=amstrad
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 14:50
From my own collection
https://imgur.com/a/bP75q
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 18:04
Quote: "Anyways Amiga had during many years the best graphics."

And sound! I had an Amiga 500, best computer ever in my opinion.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2018 22:29 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2018 22:29
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2018 12:46
The Amstrad CPC464 was more like a step towards IBM PCs. It had business and graphics apps, and was marketed towards businesses. But it was still a worthy contender in the games arena.
My parents bought an Amstrad PCW8256, another business-oriented home computer. But in the games domain, it was very poor.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2018 19:27
The Amstrad was more popuplar in the CPC464 version because it was cheap, including a cassette copy . Also there was a 664 -disk version- but the 128k disk appeared before than expected so these 664 are rarities.

I played in that PCW long time, my uncle had one and many games was ported from Speccy and CPC, but it was like a Office computer instead and go obsolete quickly with the new PCs.

By the way the Amstrad was knowed as Schneider in Germany. Amstrad got many benefits, they bought Sinclair systems years later.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-35980629/sinclair-30-years-since-amstrad-bought-spectrum-maker
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2018 19:36 Edited at: 21st Apr 2018 19:37
Try this http://amstrad.es/cpcgamescd/ it has a MAME UI like to play CPC and PCW games, like a portable iso. Was funny playing with
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2018 19:39
Nowadays I still repairing Amstrad 128k disks for my friends it's like back to the future IV
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2018 14:09
I was at work and we were talking about the Apple IIe and the big 5.25" floppies. Young kid (like 19 or 20) was like:

kid: oh yea I remember those old computers and you had to like stick those big things in there to do anything.
Me: *lol* You mean a floppy disk?
kid: Yea I guess that's what it was.

I never felt so old in my life
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2018 18:01
Phaelax wrote: "I never felt so old in my life"

Hehe
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 19:51
Quote: "I was at work and we were talking about the Apple IIe and the big 5.25" floppies. Young kid (like 19 or 20) was like:

kid: oh yea I remember those old computers and you had to like stick those big things in there to do anything.
Me: *lol* You mean a floppy disk?
kid: Yea I guess that's what it was.

I never felt so old in my life"

I was at a group interview thing for a job I went for a couple of weeks ago One of the guy's in our group made a joke about the cliche questions you ask in this situation like "who are you, why are you here, what are you doing currently" so I said, "let's mix it up, so what's your favourite Powerpuff Girl?" The other guys laughed, whereas the guy I asked "who are the Powerpuff Girls?" I was like "Kids cartoon, early 00's, on Nickelodean" he said he's have been about 2 or 3 years old and never heard of them. I was genuinely shocked that nobody had heard of a kids TV that big. I'm only 28...why do I get to feel old?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2018 18:29
Quote: " I was genuinely shocked that nobody had heard of a kids TV that big. I'm only 28...why do I get to feel old?"

I had to explain what Thundercats was. This must be how my parents felt when they told me about felix the cat.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2018 19:03
Quote: "I never felt so old in my life"

Recently I had to explain to this kid about floppy discs. I was telling him about the flight sim Falcon 3.0 I used to play when I was young and that it had over 15 floppy discs for install. He seemed impress and was like "wow, it must have been like 800GB!" ....I sighed and responded, "..nope, only about 20mb."...to which he replied, "20mb? Than why didn't they put it on a CD?"

I laughed and died a little inside, realizing how old I was.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2018 14:41
Quote: "it had over 15 floppy discs for install"

Reminds me of installing Win95 from floppy, from an external drive over serial. Any idea how freaking long that took!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2018 17:33
I think I remember Falcon taking 3 hours? Not to mention another 2 hours to get my serial port connected joystick to actually work lol.
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2018 12:34
Phaelax wrote: "I had to explain what Thundercats was. This must be how my parents felt when they told me about felix the cat."

Great and diffcult game, I really hated the black dwarf running as crazy all time. No way to avoid this guy.

Seppuku Arts wrote: "I was genuinely shocked that nobody had heard of a kids TV that big. I'm only 28...why do I get to feel old?"

Welcome to the jungle heh

JLMoondog wrote: "I think I remember Falcon taking 3 hours? Not to mention another 2 hours to get my serial port connected joystick to actually work lol."

This one?

http://www.nyan.cat/pirate
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2018 12:37 Edited at: 30th May 2018 12:38
It remembers me the F29 Retaliator

nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2018 12:39
Anyone played The Goonies in Amstrad, Spectrum, MSX, Atari?

The best puzzle ever made, check the long play in Youtube
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2018 20:38
Actually the third sequel, Falcon 3.0:

So many great memory's were made playing this game with my brother's and dad. We use to have a competition, taking turns on skirmish fights to see who would last the longest and rack up the most kills. This game was and still is an amazing flight combat sim.

nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2018 22:36
Sounds great!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:23:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:23:05