Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / [LOCKED] [SOLVED] open save dialogue windows and memory leaks

Author
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 06:47
I have recently been looking at open/save dialogues of which I only seem to be able to find 3 versions of; bbb gui, enhancements pack and a dll call version using functions.

Each have separate draw backs:
bbb gui - no method to state which directory to open the dialogue in/from
enhancement pack filter does not work - not a single example of a working filter
dll version - limited to 256 character directory strings

They all share one common draw back - memory leaks! Appears to be once when opened(small leak) and then once when a file is selected - a larger leak.
This is fine I guess if you don't intend to use it often...not so fine if you do.
Does anyone know of any other options I can explore other than writing my own?
Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 08:24
What happens if you use the built in DBP commands and make your own selector?

I just used the DBP built in commands when I made my model/texture viewer converter.

At the time...I was not checking for memory leaks though...can't help ya there.

I am deep in this texturing thing, so I don't want to side track right now.
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 10:01
The dialogues I speak of are part of windows API whereas to create one with DBP commands would simply work normally so long as it is coded correctly. In 2 cases it's a single plugin command or in the non plugin version it calls on windows dll's via a a DBP written function(that calls a couple of other DBP functions). It isn't a case of I couldn't write my own but it would not be windows API. The purpose of this is to seek a simple solution rather than going the route of writing my own. No point in reinventing the wheel if a working wheel already exists. In all 3 aforementioned cases, those do not appear to be working wheels and to add to it they cause a memory leak. So for example, I can load in or save out up to 50 vehicles, each of which could be made up of many components all from mesh files or primitives to create a collision body or convex hulls, then there's the basic visual files like body frame and wheels whcih can all be different wheels, then there is the texture files for the basic visuals.

These files are just the basics, I intend to allow exports to include trims, lights, shader's all of which are from files chosen by the user. Of course the user will not make straight forward changes whatever the workflow, they will want to edit, test, go back and edit and so on. If for example a user has a lot of image files, they will want thumbnails for speed/ease of access, these things along with filters, scrolling will need coding. Even with the API route there needs to be a lot of checks in place, for example checking the temp directory, the core directory for existing media and ensuring not to save paths from saved folder's media, ensuring a .x file is a working one by maybe loading it into a hidden exe to test prior to loading into the main tool...list goes on. Just trying to simplify where possible, but I cannot have memory leaks like this going on with so many edits possible. The actual save method isn't dialogue at the moment, a folder is created in a default location and arrays/media saved out to there, I probably won't change the save part other than to maybe write a single file for the array data. I have a feeling there may be no solution other than to write my own, mostly because I do not recall FPSC having these API dialogues for media loading, I think maybe it did for levels/projects, I don't remember, but with so many edits within FPSC media wise for any given level I suspect Lee decided to code his own, perhaps for similar reasons, or perhaps for other reasons such as dialogue cannot be fullscreen(that said resizing the dialogue works fine and it remembers the size next time round), idk really, it's been years since I loaded up FPSC lol very hazy memory there!

In short I am already almost 4k lines into this and I am just panning out the best way to do things. I haven't even began decoupling anything from the main loop although it might not be that much difference performance wise as this is physics engine being used - chances are I will get same performance from a sink sleep 1 call + silent taskmanager launch via .vbs and .bat(so long as I can replicate whatever the hell streaming youtube videos is doing that boosts performance in this specific setup that is!) So adding to the list of todo things is something I am loath to do if it isn't needed.

This of course brings us full circle...I only at this stage seek any information on other dialogue options other than coding my own dialogue - there may be a plugin I missed or better written functions hidden in the forums somewhere for win API and the API is my preferred route by a long shot.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 11:24 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2018 11:28
Quote: "The purpose of this is to seek a simple solution rather than going the route of writing my own. No point in reinventing the wheel if a working wheel already exists. I"

The DBP built in commands make it quite easy to roll your own and see what happens.

Just use the commands, don't even bother making a selector system.

Just hard code something using the DBP commands as a test.

If you leak memory, then you know it's a windows thing (or a DBP thing). If it doesn't, then it's the plugins you are trying.

In my mode/texture viewer/converter, I used the DBP commands every time I loaded a texture or a model. I did not notice any memory leaks. And I would cycle through hundreds of times while testing it.

Keyword being Notice.

It may have been leaking memory, but I never noticed it, since at the time I was not keeping track.

In fact, I'll fire it up right now and see what happens as far as leaking memory.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 11:28
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
James H wrote: "It isn't a case of I couldn't write my own but it would not be windows API. The purpose of this is to seek a simple solution rather than going the route of writing my own. No point in reinventing the wheel if a working wheel already exists."

James I've already done the work for you. I got you covered.

Load/Save dialogs available, more, full documentation.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/220759

Mage's Modular Code
You basically #include a library of functions, which give you 1 step access to dialogs and other things just like a DLL only you have access to the source code if you need it. All built with DBP.
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 11:30
C'mon man, I'm not a complete novice - I haven't even bothered loading in any file selected, the leak is purely from opening the open file dialogue window and then making a selection no matter the file. Loading and deleting media causing leaks would have long been noticed by now, take my word for that.
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 11:31 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2018 11:33
Thanks Mage, how the hell I forgot that when you plugged it twice I know of I do not know!

Lol I even had it bookmarked!
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 11:36
Quote: "In fact, I'll fire it up right now and see what happens as far as leaking memory."

No memory leak.

It would SPIKE if I loaded a large texture and/or model, but then I would switch to another texture/model and memory usage would drop again.

James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 11:39
Zep, I already responded 3 posts up - I already knew that.
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 11:39
Quote: "C'mon man, I'm not a complete novice - I haven't even bothered loading in any file selected, the leak is purely from opening the open file dialogue window and then making a selection no matter the file."

It's the plugin you are trying to use.

Mage's thing looks good, But I didn't need all that overhead just to select and load a file. Seemed like overkill.
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 11:47
Quote: "Zep, I already responded 3 posts up - I already knew that.
"

You already knew what? You haven't confirmed anything as far as I can tell by reading your posts.

James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 12:28 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2018 01:02
Zep calm down, I am not going to sit here arguing about this. I stated very clearly in post 1 I am talking of the open/save file dialogue. In my reference of "3 posts up" I did not need to confirm something that I already knew, especially of something I was not even saying happened - you asked if it was the built in commands, I dismissed that immediately "3 posts up". I do not need to prove something I did not say was taking place! This is absolutely NOT about media loading. At no point did I ever say anything about loading the media causes a leak. I think you have misunderstood by what is meant by file dialogue? I tried to explain this in my second post - it is part of windows. When you call the command a window pops up and you choose a file. The command returns a string. You would then use that string to load/save the file or open to read/write. I am at no stage doing anything other than selecting a file after the dialogue window pops up to retrieve the string.

Zep wrote: "It's the plugin you are trying to use."
Yes 1st post I made clearly identifies this!?!

Zep wrote: "Seemed like overkill"

Indeed, for yourself perhaps, however this is a tool for the community if I manage to pull it off - so hard coding filenames is not an option.

Mage has offered a very good solution where I do not have to do unnecessary work as he has kindly offered this to the community. I have not got into it yet but I have every faith this will resolve the matter having reviewed code of his in the past.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 12:47
Zep wrote: "Mage's thing looks good, But I didn't need all that overhead just to select and load a file. Seemed like overkill."

It only seemed that way. Creating a Load/Save dialog with 1 command, drawing it and handling its controls all with 1 command. All of the benefits of perfection, none of the hard work needed.

James H wrote: "Indeed, for yourself perhaps, however this is a tool for the community if I manage to pull it off - so hard coding filenames is not an option. "

I hope you aren't working on what I am working on.
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 13:02 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2018 01:02
Mage wrote: "I hope you aren't working on what I am working on"

I'm working on a replacement tool that comes with the Newton physics plugin. The tool being RBD.exe. My intention is to go a bit further than the original tool by producing vehicle files and not just rigid body files. I haven't got this fully planned out as of yet, but am at a stage where I can actually start adding some vehicle settings beyond wheels. It has been yonks since I touched Newton and I only ever really dabbled with it really, I already have save/load done to an extent but there is oh so much more to add, I am trying not to get carried away with my thoughts! It will take some time, I am a very slow coder, I have fibromyalgia which gives me a lot of "brain fog" to the point I can sometimes not be functional in daily activities. To top that I have a nervous debility of which one symptom is memory loss, so sometimes I can write stuff and the next day just look and stare in disbelief as I don't recall writing it! Means revising stuff constantly but this is my favourite(and only) hobby so I won't be giving up any time soon. Sooo, what you working on if you don't mind my asking?
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 13:30 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2018 13:34
James H wrote: " I have fibromyalgia which gives me a lot of "brain fog" to the point I can sometimes not be functional in daily activities."

I am sorry to see that is the case. I hope you can beat it.

James H wrote: "Sooo, what you working on if you don't mind my asking?"

I didn't want to mention what it was specifically until I have a working tool completed. However since you gave details then I should to. I was concerned you might be doing the same thing. I am making a tool that converts between MS3D, DBO and X format. This means no more pains with crappy exporting and compatibility. No more typing the entire lord's prayer to open fragmotion. I should be able to take what I have in the editor and put it in DB Pro and back again without any difficulty and it will be so. You'll also be able to do stuff like take an X file and convert it back so the editor can load it.

X format has always had crappy compatibility and problems. This rids us of that.

Progress: I started with reading the MS3D file specification, and writing code to byte for byte load the contents into arrays and variables. I basically have this 98% done. The next step will be to write code that takes all of that data and packs it back into an MS3D file properly. The next step is to do the same for DBO format. The step after that is to "cross the tracks", load one and save it as the other, vice versa. Then I will setup code that loads an x file, saves it as a temp.dbo file then converts that dbo to MS3D, or just uses that DBO. Internal commands can convert X format to DBO so that part will be leveraged when dealing with X format.

Basically what would have been the most essential and popular tool ever made had it released in 2002. I'm finally ironing this wrinkle out, permanently.
It's happening.
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 13:34
Quote: "Yes 1st post I made clearly identifies this!?!"

Yes, and I clearly stated to try your own simple thing without a plugin. Hard code it if need be...TO CHECK.

You didn't confirm or deny the plug-in was causing the leak compared to trying a built-in DBP command(s), Like Mage's thing probably uses
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 14:55 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2018 01:02
Zep wrote: "You didn't confirm or deny the plug-in was causing the leak compared to trying a built-in DBP command(s)"

Once again you miss the point - I do not need to do this, you need me to do this. I only needed other viable options. I have even gone to the length of reiterating this point. If you think the bug doesn't exist then the onus is on you to check, not me. I know it exists, I am not asking anybody to confirm it. I just wanted to know if others had other viable options, very plain and simple. If you have code proving the leaks I mentioned don't exist then post your proof. I do not understand why this concept has flown over your head. This is not about fixing a leak or testing individual standard DBP media loading commands. AGAIN I have never said anything about loading the media with the plugins or the call dll function - I have very clearly stated since then, that the only thing happening is the return of a string variable, nothing more, so your point becomes moot right from the get go. If you have nothing constructive to offer then please do not post, as of yet you have to offer a viable solution to the main question here - other options to the ones I mentioned in my 1st post. If you insist on posting nonsense you will leave me no alternative but to ask a MOD to intervene. You are just doing to me what you did to Mage and I find it very unpleasant - it feels very much like one of those childish situations of getting the last word. I won't have the last word, not interested in it, I would rather a MOD have the last word here, it is not appropriate to argue this way especially when a working solution has been offered up...you are simply attempting to go around in circles, I just cannot work out if you are doing this deliberately or not, but I will simply ask for the thread to be locked if you carry on, if it turns out the solution has issues for me(which I highly doubt) I will just create a new thread when that time comes but as of yet I have not been able to do anything but glance through the code. I would also like to highlight section 3.12 of the AUP here because I feel you are right on the edge of crossing that line. Also, although not against AUP, it is frowned upon to double post or more around here, I would respectfully ask you don't do it, instead use the edit button unless there is a good reason not to.

Mage - that sounds very exciting, I really enjoyed getting into the x format ages ago but am nowhere skilled enough to do those file conversions, also I don't think I spent much time with Milkshape mostly because I really like Blender. Heck I barely used Fragmotion either, sounds like I should probably revisit them both. Wow 2002! This will perhaps make you smirk - I am 40 yet I only ever bought my 1st pc...in 2002, 333mhz processor, 64mb RAM and a millenium matrox 3d accelerated gpu later replaced with a geforce 2 32mb vram, yeah that much lol, yes it was "second hand", best purchase ever as it got me into DBC...I loved that geforce 2 like it was my baby! Anyway thank you for the details, I shall get into those 2 programs again and look forward to your tool. Let's just hope I have the skill and determination to see my own tool through, as of yet I haven't actually completed anything, mostly just loved the learning, hence no WIP and until I am satisfied I have something useful I won't open one until I feel I have something to offer. Reckon I will though, just don't want to fail on this, hate the thought of joining those folks who opened up WIP threads that amounted to nothing. Cheers
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 14:59 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2018 15:00
Quote: "Once again you miss the point - I do not need to do this, you need me to do this."

Quote: " I only needed other viable options."

I gave you one. You decided to post paragraphs of BS instead.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 15:47
James H wrote: "Mage - that sounds very exciting, I really enjoyed getting into the x format ages ago but am nowhere skilled enough to do those file conversions, also I don't think I spent much time with Milkshape mostly because I really like Blender."

It's easier for me to do this than learn Blender. Not to mention i'm sure the X files it exports would have some oddity to content with. I was using MS3D for a long time, and I recently noticed that the vertex weights don't get exported to X Format. So I started to export to Fragmotion and then to X Format. However one of the bones/joints would end up not existing in the final file. Also it was an arduous process.

When I'm done it will be a one step conversion and pain free. No more problems ever again.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2018 16:56
As per my post in the other thread. Keep it clean.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/aup
3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
3.12 We do not tolerate 'trolling', the process of posting inflamatory messages for the sake of starting an argument, or being plain obnoxious.
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 01:00 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2018 03:22
Mage wrote: " It's easier for me to do this than learn Blender. Not to mention i'm sure the X files it exports would have some oddity to content with"

There is no denying Blender can be difficult to get into...and yes the exporters and importers have or at least had issues. I haven't actually checked the newer versions on animation. There is also no import of x files in the newer versions as best as I can tell and you have to switch the exporter on manually as well. I usually just use an online converter to .obj and import that instead. V2.43 has x file import and export and I have had success creating a bone animated x file from that, which I did years ago but the main issue there was that after every rotation/position/scale you would have to then go to one of the menu's and click apply scale/pos/rotation - this wasn't just animation but any edit made from the very beginning of modelling. Very very annoying. The newer versions do away with this but I have not checked the outcome of a bone animated object - neither did I test how many bones a vertex could be assigned to in v2.43 and below. To add to those annoyances the parent child relationship with the bones had to be set up in a specific way from the start else the entire thing would fail to load in DBP. I tend to only use it for mesh manipulation and texturing to make changes to existing media used as placeholders, I have a lot of meshes from the old DBC disc I use(924 static objects not textured), when I tested the bone animation/weight painting process out I rigged the t-rex model and managed to get it walking/running/turning using Enhanced Animations and it did work, except my animation was pathetic which wasn't helped by the fact I literally had just 1 bone weighted per vertex! I am fairly certain I did at one point use there envelope method of weight painting so it did export more than one bone per vertex, it was just a case of I could not get the hang of it so I went simple as the test was to see if I could get Enhanced Animations working with it.

It would certainly be very nice to have a much simpler process so I do look forward to your streamlining of the process hence I shall get back into those 2 packages.

I think Seppuku put it best in a thread on geek culture where I was showing Mr Valentine how to do the translation thing for Katakana in a long winded manner - he made a comparison reference between a character from Breaking Bad and myself - Saul Goodman. In terms of coding/game dev in general, the reference was pretty darn accurate lol. Also thank you for the intervention Seppuku.

Zep wrote: "I gave you one. You decided..blah blah"

No, hard coding is not a viable option to a file dialogue, nobody would need a file dialogue option if hard coding was the way forward. Obviously the code started off with hard coded files, then came the need for choices...that is the purpose of a file dialogue window - choices - I do hope you can see this - hard coding=no choice, file dialogue=choices.

Edit: Scratch that Seppuku I must have been thinking of another thread or someone else, my bad

Edit 2: Aha I found it - was a completely different thread https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/213983#msg2555715
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 01:48
Quote: "No, hard coding is not a viable option to a file dialogue, nobody would need a file dialogue option if hard coding was the way forward. Obviously the code started off with hard coded files, then came the need for choices...that is the purpose of a file dialogue window - choices - I do hope you can see this - hard coding=no choice, file dialogue=choices."

I said to use the DBP commands to determine if the memory leak was caused by windows, DBP or your plugin.

I recommended a test for you to try to see at which stage you started the memory leaking.

Yes, hard-coded.

A simple TEST.

You ignored it.

This was not about choices, this was about memory leaking. Read your first post. I did.

I also told you I used file selection using the DBP built-in commands in my Model Viewer. I confirmed to you it has no memory leaks. Again, you didn't listen.
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 02:58 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2018 03:05
Zep wrote: "I said to use the DBP commands to determine if the memory leak was caused by windows, DBP or your plugin.

I recommended a test for you to try to see at which stage you started the memory leaking."

Yes you did - however that was not the question asked in the first post now was it? At what stage was anybody asked to track down the source of the leak? I challenge you to make a quotation of me asking that...

Zep wrote: "Yes, hard-coded.

A simple TEST.

You ignored it."

Yes I did and with very good reason. It was never part of the question.

Zep wrote: "This was not about choices, this was about memory leaking"

James H wrote: "Does anyone know of any other options I can explore other than writing my own?"

A question mark has a purpose, that purpose being that a question has been asked. It was also the only question asked, I therefore refer you to my earlier statement;

James H wrote: "however that was not the question asked in the first post now was it? At what stage was anybody asked to track down the source of the leak? I challenge you to make a quotation of me asking that..."

The only reason memory leaks have been cited in my first post is to show a reason beyond the aforementioned functionality issues behind my need for another viable option. Period. You may have read my first post, however you clearly did not understand that just one question has been asked. Just because someone mentions a bug or memory leak does not mean they want it confirming or the source isolating. Do you see anybody else replying with a response about the memory leaks being confirmed or the source of it isolated?

Now based on what has been said after Seppuku(a MOD) has intervened I must refer you back to the AUP. All you are doing here right now is deliberately attempting to derail the thread once more by completely ignoring facts and choosing to steer this in a direction that was oh so very clearly not the purpose. One question was asked, nothing more. At no point have you offered a different file dialogue option, instead you insist on having me hard code stuff as a test! A test that was never required! Ask yourself this - which file format was I asking for you to check? Exactly I wasn't. Everything is written in plain English, it could not have been any easier to understand. There are many times when I explain things poorly. That first post was not one of them - one question was asked nothing more. If you cannot answer that one question then there is zero need for you to post anymore - I did not carry on in your thread and behave as you have in mine. We have all endeavoured to aid you and all you have done is mix things up then blame the person helping afterwards when they point out facts. Now for the second time you leave me no alternative but to utilise the report button. Congratulations.

PS you may have noted my earlier quote said blah blah - that is because you referenced an explicit by use of an abbreviation, one I shall not quote as this is a family orientated forum. This actually used to be against AUP also. This is the only reason the quote was altered...
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 03:06
Quote: "They all share one common draw back - memory leaks! Appears to be once when opened(small leak) and then once when a file is selected - a larger leak.
"

Quote: "by completely ignoring facts and choosing to steer this in a direction that was oh so very clearly not the purpose."

Keep digging that hole, James.
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 03:12 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2018 03:12
James H wrote: " At what stage was anybody asked to track down the source of the leak? I challenge you to make a quotation of me asking that..."

James H wrote: "A question mark has a purpose, that purpose being that a question has been asked. It was also the only question asked, I therefore refer you to my earlier statement"

So in that quote you just made of mine, kindly point out the question mark...there is a little know thing called context and taking quotes out of context to display a question without a question mark...well nuff said really. The fact you just did that says far more about you than you realise!!!
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 03:19 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2018 03:23
Quote: "They all share one common draw back - memory leaks! Appears to be once when opened(small leak) and then once when a file is selected - a larger leak.
This is fine I guess if you don't intend to use it often...not so fine if you do.
Does anyone know of any other options I can explore other than writing my own?"

Now, if the memory leaks! (notice your exclamation mark) are not a concern for you, just go ahead and continue using whatever memory leaking plugin you were/are using.

Problem Solved.

Quote: "Does anyone know of any other options I can explore "

I gave you an option to explore. You ignored it.
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 03:35
At no point have you answered what I just asked. An exclamation mark is not a question mark and neither does it imply one! If I was not concerned then why exactly would I be looking for an alternative?(Rhetorical)
Once again - you did not offer a different option, maybe you thought you where, but that was not the case, you insisted upon a test, not an option - and has zero to do with the question asked! You are very clearly deliberately going around in circles to circumnavigate the issue of admitting when you are wrong. Instead you prefer to insult me by suggesting I am digging a hole and now a pathetic attempt of sarcasm while trying to elude to something that was never the case. All the while of course further derailing the thread. Sometimes it is better to say nothing if you cannot admit an error.

I must now respectfully ask that you desist derailing my thread and give the MOD's or Admin's a chance to respond. I believe Seppuku has already quoted the relevant sections of the AUP...
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 03:45 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2018 03:49
You must have missed that big ? I quoted in your post.

Quote: "you insisted upon a test, not an option"

I didn't "insist" anything, I gave you a simple "other options" for you to solve the problem on your own. See where along the chain the memory starts to leak.

It's obvious from your question, you didn't know if it was Windows, The Plugin or DBP itself causing your leak.

In the paragraphs you wrote later denying it had to with a concern for memory leaks!, you could have spent that wasted energy writing a simple file selector with the DBP commands and learned something.
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 04:01
Here

I'll get you started, from my Model Viewer. Figure it out and modify it to do what you want.

James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 04:40 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2018 04:48
Clearly English is not your forte - That question mark belongs to a SEPARATE sentence, hence the FULL STOP prior to the word DOES - even the quotation system recognises it as a separate sentence! Once again - CONTEXT.

Zep wrote: "I didn't "insist" anything"

Zep wrote: "Just use the commands, don't even bother making a selector system.

Just hard code something using the DBP commands as a test.

If you leak memory, then you know it's a windows thing (or a DBP thing). If it doesn't, then it's the plugins you are trying."

Zep wrote: "
You already knew what? You haven't confirmed anything as far as I can tell by reading your posts."

Zep wrote: "Yes, and I clearly stated to try your own simple thing without a plugin. Hard code it if need be...TO CHECK.

You didn't confirm or deny the plug-in was causing the leak compared to trying a built-in DBP command(s)"

Zep wrote: "I said to use the DBP commands to determine if the memory leak was caused by windows, DBP or your plugin.

I recommended a test for you to try to see at which stage you started the memory leaking.

Yes, hard-coded.

A simple TEST.

You ignored it.

This was not about choices, this was about memory leaking. Read your first post. I did.

I also told you I used file selection using the DBP built-in commands in my Model Viewer. I confirmed to you it has no memory leaks. Again, you didn't listen.
"

Still claiming that you did not insist?

Zep wrote: "
It's obvious from your question, you didn't know if it was Windows, The Plugin or DBP itself causing your leak."

I have explained time and again I don't care for tracking down the leak, or its source, of course it has to do with the plugins/dll calls - as highlighted very clearly in post 1! The only question asked - any viable alternatives in existence that folks know about. At no point in that question - the only question - is there any form of reference to me not knowing what the issue was on account I did not care! It has no bearing here. I have no intention of using said plugins/dlls hence the request in the first place. Do you honestly think that I would pose the question while highlighting my reasons behind the question is me asking for help sorting out the leak? Let me tell you in a word - NO. I already knew that I cannot fix the plugins, I knew there was a chance someone had fixed the dll function call in DBP code OR that someone would have coded their own dialogue hence my asking a very very specific question.

That code you just posted, sorry pal but that is just a very simple function...something that wouldn't exactly take me long to code at all but at least it is along the lines of an actual other option - the point of the ONLY question asked was options other than writing my own. You seem to be under the impression I am a noob here? I assure you I am not, I could code this no problem - but as I have already stated there is little point in reinventing the wheel if a working one already exists. This isn't something I have been stuck on, I continue with my project regardless, it isn't a show stopper as they say. The point of asking was to ask, and see if I do need to code it myself as I need a visual dialogue for the end user.

Now I have examined Mage's code and it is great, so many options already done and dusted. It is exactly what I required. It answers the question posed exactly which is all that was needed.

To that end, I have had enough of this childish nonsense, MODS when you read this please lock the thread, it does not need derailing further. Thankyou.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:11:32
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:11:32