Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Tell me about homeworld

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 02:07
Strange question it might seem, but Id like to know what homeworld was like, specifically how the control method worked, how you moved ships and the like...can anyone help? Thanks

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
Metamophic
Years of Service
User Offline
homeworld control= very complicated . if i remember right, after you select a ship you move you cursor back and forth to select its z and x movement. it creates a circle around the ship which get bigger and smaller when you move your mouse. you click or something, and then you select your y movement. it creates a small dot that is connected to the edge of the circle, and then you click and you ship moves! or something like that (homeworld always drove me crazy cuz it was so hard)

www.freewebs.com/metamorphicsoft
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 04:00
If I remember rightly, the whole of space was like a flat plane. Then you would click on that plain where you wanted to move. That would be your position on the x,z of the plain. The height of the ship on the y axis would remain wherever it was, unless you held down shift when you clicked. At that point it would put a dot on the x,z plane and a line would appear upwards on the y-axis. You would then drag it up and down to change the height.

Not entirely sure, but thats how I remember it. So basically, think of space as a flat plane. All movement is based on that. Wherever you click, you're moving the ship based on its current y height to a new x,z position. Then by holding shift you can adjust the y height.

I personally think homeworld was crap though. But that might just be me. If you're doing a similar clone, you need to think up something special. I would suggest customisable ships, ejector pods for the ships, tractor beams, stationary weapons platforms / turrets, older style weapons (instead of lasers, how about chain cannons, missiles and basic plasma stuff), lots of size variation from huge battle cruisers to tiny fighters (so fighters are about 100th the length of the battle cruisers).

Just some suggestions. Hope they help.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 12:37
Homeworld is cool, I have Cataclysm as well (but it won`t run on Xpee ), more for your strategy buffs than kill-em-all jocks, the control system is

selected ship
path of ship is shown as isometric line being drawn in x/y axis
position line end under/over destination
left click and move mouse up/down to raise/lower endpoint from plain with ship on
release to set endpoint, ship starts to move there

I would post some screenshots but this forum don`t do images unless you post em to a net server yourself, and thats too much trouble
it was way better when you could just attach an image (and I`m sooo lazy)

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 1x160Gb HD (using 2 overheats ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800 128mb.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 14:55 Edited at: 21st Dec 2003 14:57
It's the music I remember the most.

I used to share a house with a mate, and he used to come home p*ssed-up and play it with the sound as high as he could get it

Let's see if I can remember the controls ...

Left mouse button to select units
Left and drag to select multiple units
Shift and Left to add a unit to the selection
Left click on an enemy unit to attack
Left + CTRL and drag to attack multiple enemy units

Right mouse button to rotate the view
Left+Right to zoom, and I think you could use the scroll wheel to zoom too

Press M to switch to 'move mode'. This allows you to move horizontally. To move up/down too, you would hold the shift key

You use the space key to switch between short and long distance for movement and attacking.

I think that's pretty much it

[EDIT]Oops, forgot that you could set formations too with some of the function keys, and also tactics (evasive, normal, aggressive)[/EDIT]

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6 and .NET
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 21:55
Thanks everyone - I was planning to make a sort of elite kind of game, mouse controlled like a strategy game. Ive been jumoping between ideas recenty because everything I need isnt supported by DBPro... seems that U6 will solve everything, so until then Ive got to jump between ideas as I become bored of them. Anyway thanks again for your help

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:23:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:23:47