Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Explanation of SMB2 and guest access?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2018 14:30
After hours of searching and trying different things to access my NAS after Win10 did an update on my last night without permission (bad MS), I finally got it working again by following this article:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016

Quote: "If you try to connect to devices that request credentials of a guest instead of appropriate authenticated principals, you may receive the following error message: "

Which was the error message I was getting. But this is where I become confused and maybe I'm misunderstanding what guest credentials really are. To access the NAS from any computer, you need to login to it. When I re-enabled insecure guess access (which an update had turned off) I was once again able to access the network share (the qnap nas). Even so, it still prompted me to login as expected which leaves with one question; how or why does it think I'm accessing the resource as a guest? What am I missing here?

p.s. yes im aware i've taken over off-topic board lately :p
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:46:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:46:27