Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Unnamed Viking Sim/RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2018 14:59 Edited at: 8th Feb 2019 05:35
Hey, still very early stages, but wanted to post a few videos. Some of the art will be redone. I'm not happy with the floors, the character model, the first door, and some things in the inventory screen need to be redone.

Update[2/8/2019]
After being inspired by Santman, I added some newer models for the blueberry plant and flax plants. Also added flowers in the foliage. The grass and flowers are all one object per quadrant of the map. I added the flax plants and blueberry meshes to the tree mesh, so they would shake when they are harvested. One huge problem is the shadows for the grass. It lowers FPS to 55-65. Also, updated my code to combine meshes to load way faster.

I added trees to be 1 object per quadrant of the map. Seems like it helps when I run into a cluster of trees. In the video I have trees rocking when chopped, and then falling with physics. I was using bone animation to do the fall, but I like this better, and hopefully saves on performance.

Updated World Map.

Newest Video shows fishing and then turning that fish into a hearty meal.

First video is just showing a little house construction and a small inventory preview. The pieces take 2 logs to lay down, and it uses them from the characters inventory. The walls and doors have to be laid on top of the floor. Also, surrounding floors have to be upgraded before the wall or door can be upgraded. And the upgrades also take certain resources, which are also deducted from the inventory.

I also show the collisions when you place a wall and door and when you delete a wall and door you can walk in the area again.

Update: Map Demo

Update: Home Area
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2018 07:47
Looks good so far! If you need some informations about Vikings or early medieval Scandinavia, i may have some informations. it's kind of my second life.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks very good so far. And has inspired me somehow. Thank you!
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 03:38
Refreshing to see this type of game being developed. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks all.

Green7, be careful what you put in writing. I am a history buff to the max. I love the Scandinavian culture. These were some seriously hard, tough, dedicated people. Heck, to even think about settling in Iceland you gotta be tough AF. It gets below 50 I start whining like a hungry baby.

I have some inventory and early crafting videos to upload soon. I found a few bugs that need to be hashed out, and I was not happy with my farm so I am redoing that.

Please let me know if you feel something is silly looking. I am actually color blind, so matching and texturing is really difficult. I will take no offense to criticism.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 08:02 Edited at: 27th Mar 2018 08:08
@ Golelorn: I'm a viking reenactor,doing living history, living some weeks a year in nature and tents and replica longhouses, fully without electricity, cooking on fire and sewing my clothes and shoes by hand. i also do smithing, woodwork, fighting with axe and shield, go hiking with the gears on, even once built my tent in snow and had a pleasant cool night. sheepskin sleeping bag for the win! mostly i focus on southern danish culture, mainly recreating stuff from haithabu and ribe. i even was sailing in a rebuilt viking boat twice in my life.

the colors do not look wrong, keep it going.

edit: maybe you find some inspiration: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/221330
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 15:43
Quote: "@ Golelorn: I'm a viking reenactor,doing living history, living some weeks a year in nature and tents and replica longhouses, fully without electricity, cooking on fire and sewing my clothes and shoes by hand. i also do smithing, woodwork, fighting with axe and shield, go hiking with the gears on, even once built my tent in snow and had a pleasant cool night. sheepskin sleeping bag for the win! mostly i focus on southern danish culture, mainly recreating stuff from haithabu and ribe. i even was sailing in a rebuilt viking boat twice in my life."

That's some pretty extreme larping.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 20:45
@ Phaelax: Some reenactors would feed you their axes, if you call them larpers... but i have to admit, it started all with a tiny larp on a friends farm...
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice, Green7!

I was actually on cgtrader the other day looking for anything that I might want. That skeleton is a piece of work! And those shield are exactly what I am needing.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2018 05:07
This looks quite interesting and colors seem fine.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2018 08:30 Edited at: 28th Mar 2018 08:47
@ Golelorn: thanks! Sent you a PM.

Edit: The first two weeks of May i'm in Denmark and northern germany, visiting several historic viking replica villages, could take a bunch of pics of whatever i'll find. for example how the houses are constructed, the fireplaces, bread ovens, doors, furniture, fences, wells, maybe peoples and clothing styles and so on.
Do not take me wrong, i would like you to keep your very own style, even if it's a fully fantasy approach of viking style. it's just, i experienced the "real" viking stuff as really great experience, but there is no game, series or movie taking it serious about historic accuracy. on the other hand, it should also be fun. if for example "vikings" would not state is self as "historicaly accurate" but as "viking fantasy" then the people at the historic places had far less problems fending off all the leather clad "bikings".
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2018 04:14 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2018 04:15
Here is a sample of equipping different armor and weapons sets. I noticed the spear needs to be worked on a little. Its might be a little too large.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2018 05:21 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2018 05:22
Actually the spear is a good size for a war spear. If it was smaller it'd be considered a war javelin. If anything, you could probably decrease the circumference by 25%. Nice work, only suggestion I have is if you're going to have a window version, allow right click to auto-equip and hover cursor so show/compare stats. Or mobile, tap to give a small menu to epuip/compare stats/drop/ect..
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2018 06:54
Hello Golelorn,
Super big job, it's impressive !
continue like this !!
I do what i do !!!
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2018 00:23 Edited at: 24th Jun 2018 01:58
Thank you, both.

Excellent suggestions, JLMoondog. I am going to add the comparison and right click equipping today.

edit: right click equipping has been added.
edit: also added comparison changes for armor and weapons

Also changed the icons when near a resource, and added weapon durability circle along with what weapon you have equipped.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Updated video per JLMoondog suggestions. Also, showed a small bit of resource gathering.

Would love suggestions or criticisms.

JLMoondog, I think on android to make it easier on myself if you click twice within .5 seconds you will equip the gear. I think making a menu is too much work. Its just me.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2018 06:13
It's those little details that elevate a game from indie to pro, the new menus look good. I took a look at the new video and one more idea popped into my head, when you select an item in your inventory, have the equipment slot be highlighted by colored border around the corresponding slot. This will give players an idea where to put it. Also, I'm assuming you'll eventually put a character doll in the center of the equipment slots to show the player what he looks like with the new equipment without having to exit the screen. If you haven't thought of it, do that lol.

Looking good, keep it up!
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
I do have the doll setup. Its has a slight bug, so I still need to work that out.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2018 22:44 Edited at: 11th Sep 2018 23:53
Going to be adding a few new videos in the coming days.

This shows off the world map.

Some of the scenes I made in blender. I got better as I did more. I think my favorite is Skoggangr's Cove. Just wish I had more trees( I do now at the time I only had one ). Some I just used from some free stuff. I will update a few of them. I am not sure about the object that represents a cave. I don't like it. I hope to come up with a better idea at some point.

The animals should indicate were our viking can go to stock up on meat. The forest means more trees, the rocks mean ore, stone and clay. There is one city, where I think our viking will upgrade the Jarl's longhouse to open up more options and gain renown. The other areas will be places our viking needs to go to increase renown.

Map Demo
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2018 23:20 Edited at: 12th Sep 2018 00:04
I had a ton of bugs of my crafting. I hope I have caught them all. I decided to add an energy bar to create more of a challenge. Eating food, and laying in your bed will increase energy. I am thinking if you run out of energy for an extended amount of time. You die and lose everything on you. I also, went from mouse click move to keyboard(mobile will be virtual joystick). I think my turn speed might be a little too fast.

Redid the terrain, and resources appear based off the terrain. Give credit to where it is due. Both of these are based off GameGuru Loader. Preben has done an excellent job on making his code readable, and it helps dummies like me learn. Not just how to do things, but also how to not make a spaghetti mess.

Very soon I am going to make the player turn white if he is behind something, or maybe try to make the object turn transparent in the area of the player. I think Janbo's shader has something like that. Also I want to add shadows.

My tree sway is a little off. But, I guess its better than nothing.

Update: Home Area

And of course, please criticize. I know I saw two bugs during the filming. The trees were falling on me, which I fixed. The other I have not. Its gonna be one of "those".

And if you recognize that "cot" then good on you. lol!
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2018 19:24
this looks good! just wanted to say that corn came from south america, way later than wiking age, sorry for being a smart aleck again. but the rest of your game looks well done, congrats!
for the cot, i suggest you this ones: http://www.ravensgard.org/gerekr/bed.html
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Haha, I had no idea about the corn.

Thanks for the link to the bed. Guess, that will be my next blender project.

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2018 15:28
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 03:23 Edited at: 15th Oct 2018 03:37
Wow. Already been a month. Spent a lot of time on the mini-map, water shader, and improving the movement. The player now "glides" across obstacles. I came across a bug that randomly dropped FPS to 30. Pretty sure it was/is due to too many "passes" from rendering the minimap and water. Hope I got it fixed. Seems impossible to track down, but didn't show up until I added water.

The water is heavily influenced by Janbo's older water shader.

My next steps are adding in area exits, adjusting the terrain shader to be more efficient and hopefully better looking, and adding foam around the shore. After that I am going to add fishing a la Star Dew Valley.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 13:01
Now this looks better every time you post your progress! To me it seems like either the walking speed is too fast or the waling anim is too slow, but this is secondary stuff. Some of the objects have a rather big colision radius. but all the rest looks good. i like the dust from the footsteps.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Green. I think I am testing too far ahead for collisions, so "should be" an easy fix.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2018 17:18
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Updated to show fishing, and then turning that fish into some Cooked Fish... Think I need to change that to Fish Steak.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2018 00:02
There is alot of great artwork over at itch io that cost very Little ..
And you are free to use them for comercial use…
If you look for Icons and a bunch of stuff like that.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Cliff. I will take a look over there. That is definitely my weak link.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Updated World Map. Inspired by Santman.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Added particles during mining. Also, the rocks now crumble.

Both seem to need some small adjustments.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
I added trees to be 1 object per quadrant of the map. Seems like it helps when I run into a cluster of trees. In the video I have trees rocking when chopped, and then falling with physics. I was using bone animation to do the fall, but I like this better, and hopefully saves on performance.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2019 21:52
Arbrakan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2019 10:46
Very nice ! Look great !
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
After being inspired by Santman, I added some newer models for the blueberry plant and flax plants. Also added flowers in the foliage.
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2019 06:42
Hi, Golelorn

Wow, it's really starting to get a good level !
it's very beautiful, vivid !

continue like this, it's great !
I do what i do !!!
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2019 08:44
Now this looks better and better! The Flowers add some color spots, me likes! but if you make them a tad smaller it may look even less cartoonish.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you both.

I was thinking the exact same thing after I re-watched the video, Green7. Definitely going to decrease the size a tad.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2019 23:31
This is coming along quite nicely!
If i may ask. How do you manage the character as far as keeping it on the ground?
Is it raycasting or physics?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2019 01:34
Nice work on the tree chopping.

The walk animation feels a little stiff maybe in the head and torso, I have a lot of trouble with this also
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
The walk and resting animation need to be redone, for sure. Hopefully, I can get that done by my next video update. I just updated the trees and rock veins to match the animation. So the tree shakes and falls when the axe hit.

blink0k, I use raycasting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 03:59:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 03:59:53