Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Paintball people paintball

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 21:45
I was today in the paintball
and it was extremely fun too bad its expensive
but I didnt pay any money
I had 120 paintballs and I got hit almost in the crotch
(Thank you god for the protection) buy my hands still got a few paintballs
and I was in pain but still it was fun.

Did you guys ever been in paintball?
Any interesting stories?

I have a few stories but I dont have the power the write them now
maybe later.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 22:27 Edited at: 21st Dec 2003 22:28
well, here's the bruise on the leg of a friend of mine...she played on the sympathy for weeks!

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 22:38
It's called paintballing not in the paintball. And I've been once, didn't really like it.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 22:39
He must be using a bad online translator.

Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 22:44 Edited at: 21st Dec 2003 22:45
Nop
That's how we call it, and the name of the place
was Paintball Israel
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 22:45
I put a foil ball in a paint ball gun and just went up to some
kid i new and shot him in the leag. He was jumping and helling
so i gave him a 1$.

I dont know how to spell
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 22:55
I am an ex paintball veteran. I have all my own gear, and used to get into the paintball magazines when I was younger and was dubbed 'The Gazelle on Steroids' for my lightning flag grab runs in tournament play.

I typically shoot out about 3000 rounds a day. 120 would not fill up my ammunition hopper - which is of course fully fitted with InfraRed jam sensor and electric servo motors...

I have an Automag. Out of choice, i'm not an Angel person. We dont have anything much bigger than an Angel here in the UK because of the gun laws. In the States there are much more powerful paintguns but my backpacked Automag holds its own here in the UK and most importantly - has a dead sexy paint job.

I haven't played for a couple of years now, and haven't done tournaments for many years - but if a group of DB'ers want to get together?

There's an excellent site at London Colney just outside of St Albans (North London) with excellent motorway access that would be an ideal site for a group of us Southern players, or perhaps somewhere in the Midlands for a big bash?

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 23:15
Used to play, had a nice 68ci 4500psi Fiber tank, dye cover. Was about to get an Impulse then I stopped playing... Had a Spyder Xtra that I built up, had a $240 grip frame, Carbon Fiber barrel, and of course a 12v Revvy. It was pretty pimped But I quit since it cost so much darn money.

@Andy - Suicide Flag runs RULE!! I like front, but mid is cool too

RPGamer

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm against guns, even Paintball guns because they are physically hitting a living person, or animal. I don't mind FPS though. I had to miss out on a free paintball outing at work too!

Pincho.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 00:08
Suicide Run? Oh man, you have no idea how fast I could run before I started smoking. I would have the flag back amongst our line before the other team got out of their camp !

Only time I ever suicided was doing the standard break tactic on a speedball field and the other team paintchecked me as I grabbed to flag, forcing me to stand still during the break slap bang in the middle of the field... All I can say to that is "ouch". Well actually "yuk" considering where the shot that got me actually landed.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 00:09
Quote: "even Paintball guns because they are physically hitting a living person"

Who is there voluntarily to get the adrenaline hit of you shooting them.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I know but you are aiming at them to fake hunting them down. It surely takes away the sacrilage of doing it for real.

Pincho.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 00:30
It's a shame you won't play paintball. Does that mean you don't like boxing, or martial arts or contact sports?

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I don't really like them. But the idea isn't to fake killing the other person, so it's not as bad. I think it's just that it concerns me that someone might take paintballing a step further.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 01:04
Would you not say the same about a fps game?

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
No, coz a FPS doesn't put you inside the game as much. It might matter if we go holographic full scale.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 03:54
Quote: "It might matter if we go holographic full scale."

Dude that would be cool!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 04:10 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 04:13
Pincho

It's funny how you think paintballing doesn't put you inside the game as much as FPSs. I get real vocal playing multiplayer battlefield 1942 and other games. Me and my mates shout at each other, threaten each other, and generally get pretty worked up (in a ladish way - not a proper aggressive way) when we waste each other.

Paintballing is much more toned down surprisingly. In my experience, there's no vandettas against people (maybe because you cant tell people apart with overalls and masks on) and people dont really have those laddish stand offs. Post game chats are normally about how much fire you took, or how you managed to achieve an objective.

In fact, I can honestly say, most people I've spoken to who have played paintball find it a positive experience on their outlook on guns. I mean that in the sense that most people look at it not as hunting, but as a close resemblance to real warfare, and it's scarey. Because it hurts a little, and stuff is flying at you, there is adrenalin and the want to "stay alive". You don't get that much satisfaction from shooting someone. In fact, the main thrill comes from dodging the bullets coming at you.

I've chatted with lots of people and we've all come to the conclusion that we don't ever want to be in a real situation like that. In paintballing, it's tense and exhilerating purely because it hurts, but you know you won't get seriously hurt. But it opens your eyes to what real gun fighting is like - at how vulnerable you are, and how easy it would be to get wasted in real life. I'm sure really young kids don't see it like this, but I think the vast majority of people would. Only a tiny minority would think paintballing would be fun if it was real.

So I don't think it's a bad experience at all. If anything, I think it's a positive experience in terms of guns. Its fun, shooting is fun, playing solider is fun, but you realise that's only the case if its pretend. You just gotta look at that yellow splat on your vizor (that you tired so hard not to get) to realise that could so easily be a hole in your head, if it was all real.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 07:43
Quote: "I put a foil ball in a paint ball gun and just went up to some
kid i new and shot him in the leag. He was jumping and helling
so i gave him a 1$."

You are a dumb asshat.

Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 10:23
i agree with quoth the raven.....it is people like you that are giving a bad name to paintball....i am on a team in idaho and we get alot of guff because of idiots running around shooting everything in sight.....

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
@Fallout/Bishop/Quoth.... Especially Fallout, you have all answered my problem with Paintballing. Fallout seems to be unwittingly saying that Paintballing is like warfare...Realistic, and painful. How he came to say that when he was supposed to be defending it is beyond me. Perhaps that shows how warfare becomes natural to you, unwittingly.

Pincho.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 15:08
You obviously missed my point Pincho. Mine was that paintball simulates warfare well, but ultimately teaches us its a very bad thing - so avoid it like the plague.

I don't know how you can have a problem with simulating anything, so long as it's not real. Surely that'd void all action films, all games, all of anything that hints at violence? Surely the problem is that it's a stepping stone for giving people an interest in the real thing? If paintballing makes the real thing seem like a bad idea, then surely its a positive effect on a person?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 15:21
Quote: "I think it's just that it concerns me that someone might take paintballing a step further. "

After the Hungerford massacre, an incident in England a few years a go when a lunatic went on the rampage on a town with firearms killing people, the news reporters cottoned on to the paintball site and where busy getting footage putting all the blame on the site.

The site owner, somewhat taken aback at being blamed for a gun-totting lunatic felt this was a little unfair, but instead of protesting he asked the news crew firstly if the lunatic was tied to the site (he wasnt at all - "might have played there once") and said well if your going to blame it on paintball you should at least have a go first so you understand what it is your blaming.

The news crew agreed and played a few games. They concluded their report - without mentioning the paintball site - and returned for a few more games before they went back to the office.

Predujices against paintball are mostly the points of view of people who do not understand the sport. Take Herman Shroeder or whatever his name is - he has banned paintballing in Germany because it is a "Nazi training tool" !? WTF ? Yeah paintballing in woods accurately ressembles urban gang warfare, yeah really it does.

Paintballing is not realistic. The guns are pathetically short ranged, their less accurate than a drunk pissing up a tree and consequently combat engagement start out much closer than a real combat would even start. There is less marching in paintball too

What paintballing is, is a taste of combat. However it is a taste that is no more closer to the real thing than going to a dojo and learning Woda Ru. The thing that makes paintball worthwhile is the sheer adrenaline fix it gives, it will, during the course of a day, deliver several highly intense adrenaline shots into your body.

Adrenaline is good. Your heart loves it, your brain is addicted to it, and the shaking is a right of passage

No other sport i've played gives adrenaline in quite the same intensity as paintball. My main love is motor racing, but that is a longer, slower and more subtle delivery. Nothing else even comes close to what paintballing does.

The reason paintball gives such a huge hit? Sheer absolute terror. Is scaring yourself a good thing to do? Ask anyone on a roller coaster.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 16:41
You guys are so funny, trying to make paintball look good or bad. You see I have a massive brain, and with it I can understand the concept of "reality" and "fantasy". Most people can't seam to understand the differance between the two. When you point a paintball gun at someone or play a FPS you are not pointing a gun at someone, there is no connection between them. An old expretion comes to mind, apples and oranges. Both are very simalar, both beng the size, being fruit, edible and tasy to boot. However they aren't the same, never will be. No matter how many apples you eat it will never, ever be like eating an orange. I've been shooting real guns since I was 5 (it's South Dakota folks, think of it as Texas with winter) and been playing video games just as long as well as doing a little paintballing every once in a while, none are close to the same.

People can't seam to understand that untill you actually do an action, nothing can truely prepair you for that action. Claiming video games or paintball have something to do with shooting people is foolishness itself.

I've lost 25lb playing Dance Dance Revolution, no really!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 17:14
Well said Arrow

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 17:34
I disagree with Andy. Paintballing is quite a lot like real combat. Admittedly, the guns don't shoot straight (the paintballs curve in mid air) and they dont fire too far, but in a wood it's not like you can see further than 100 feet anyway. It's not the guns that make it realistic though - it's the two teams, with an objective, in a real wood, with real camoflague on, working as a team, and with the fear aspect of getting shot. Remember, the army uses paintballing for training also, and the reason is because you feel the impact, and you can't deny you've just actually been shot (unlike laser quest, which is the opitomy of crap).

So even if the guns suck, I think it's the whole environment that makes it realistic. And before Pincho says I'm proving his point again, I'll stress again, I'm not. That's purely because it doesnt glorify combat. It makes it seem scarey. The adrenalin rush comes from being scared of being shot, and playing out real combat, but the reason why that's enjoyable is because you know nobody would get hurt. In the back of you mind though, you know if those were real bullets, that would be the last place you'd want to be.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 00:17
The biggest problem that paintball has in terms of realism is the complete and utter lack of any weapons being deployed larger than an SMG. Particularly for Americans where the smallest weapon on the battlefield aside from the brains of the soldiers is an artillery barrage.

I'm not saying paintball doesn't share some similarities and certainly it must be usefull for armies to practice some aspects of warfare, however what we play in the woods of a weekend is a far cry from the kit hauled around by a squaddie on a military exercise.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 01:47
But warfare doesn't just mean the United States invading an arab country (although this does constitute the vast majority of warfare these days).

If you think about South American, some Asian, some African countries and situations, with rebel armies armed with nothing but AKs, fighting jungle skirmishes against the government and other gangs. Paintballing shares quite a lot of likenesses. Poorly maintained weapons and crapply trained troops. Paintballing doesnt simulate warfare, but it does simulate a realistic forest / house to house skirmish between crapply trained soldiers/militia quite well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:35:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:35:11