Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DarkBASIC career

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 01:26
hello people,
i was just wondering. alot of software and game companies require alot of education about specific programming languages so u can be applied in working with such companies. like DirectX and OpenGL(C++). so what i'm trying to say is, can DarkBasic be one of these very important programming languages that lets a person work in such big companies? can DarkBasic replace DirectX and OpenGL in game creating? can DarkBasic be my career?
i hope u get what i'm saying thankx

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
mmm most likely companies won't end up using purely darkbasic for game creation. however, if you feel like an entrepreneur you could start up your own game development project, finish it, sell it, eventually have a company from it, and voila, a company that makes its games in db. if that makes sense.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 01:32 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 01:33
I don't think DBP is an industry-capable language, if we're honest.

Consider that the DBP dlls (i.e, the work-horses of the DBP language) were written in c++, then you should begin to realise that if you want a career in game development, you'll need to be a c++ kinda guy.

Darkbasic (pro) will help you learn 3d programming, and how to put a game together, but you'll need to combine that knowledge with some serious C++ knowhow.

---edit---
Just read HZence's reply - he makes a good point. There's no reason you couldn't start up a game company which uses DBP. It'd be a nice little earner I'm sure...

Can I ask you a Question?
What is it?
It's an interrogative form of sentence, used to test knowledge. But that's not important right now.
D I G I T A L
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 01:33
it makes perfect sence. but why would people buy games from a low level company that creats games by DB, rather than buying very powerful games from very high companies.
peple prefare the best thing on the market these days no matter what it costs.

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 01:37
Because you charge £10 for a game, rather than £45

Can I ask you a Question?
What is it?
It's an interrogative form of sentence, used to test knowledge. But that's not important right now.
D I G I T A L
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 01:42
i c, i c! actually i dont understand marketing alot . so ur advice is that i should study C++? any comments every one?

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 01:54
Quote: "so ur advice is that i should study C++?"

Read up. Study as many tutorials as you can, and I can recommend the Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours book. Most Sams books are great things to get the basics from, then you can check out tutorials online, and learn up on some more complex coding. There are also a few better books that you can get that will go from the basics into game design (or application design).

Personnaly, if you equip yourself with decent skills of Win32 App Design, DirectX and OpenGL, you'll be just fine.

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 02:01
How I loathe coding.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 03:35
lmao

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 03:40
I intend to start up and sell, making games with DB when I think its stable enough. Sure Im only 16 now, but I like the thought of spending all my time at home doing what I love doing - designing games. To be honest I could do with a team. but ah well. As DBPro becomes more powerful and more stable, the better it is for making decent games. I doubt it will ever be used in a professional dev house, but as a hobbyist or shareware developers tool its ace.

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 03:41
Frankly, if you want to be a professional game developer, you'd better have enough of an understanding of the fundamentals of computering programming to be able to tackle a simple bit of C++ in a pinch. But there's no reason not to save time using DBP as an engine, even if you write a few DLLs. Most companies don't make their own 3d engines anyways, they just licence one and plug their game design-- and maybe a few engine tweaks-- in. DBP isn't that different.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 08:14
Well it's quite possible to have a career, the only problem is that there are no companies working with DB. There's a bunch of kids and some experienced coders who group together for mediocre projects, but they don't have the years of industry experience Microsoft programmers having a stab at it. We're not pushing DB to it's full extent because we aren't the industry.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The problem with selling DBPro products is the fact that the games don't run on all that many computers. I can't even run DBPro stuff on my computer, and it's been upgraded several times.

Pincho.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 15:19 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 15:20
Quote: "But there's no reason not to save time using DBP as an engine, even if you write a few DLLs. "

I don't remember who but I once heard someone say "If you got programmers who can do that then your better of writing the whole thing in C++"

And I agree. Sure you could write DLLs for DBP to get the graphics up to an industry standard but to save your self alot of hassle and secure a good looking game you are better in using proven successful engine. Not that I'm saying DBP is not any of those but DBP is made easy as it's made for beginers and bedroom programmers. So if you have a "registered" company and are very serious about developing games as you have good experianced coders on your team then naturally you should consider C++ or whatever other language kids use there days.

But starting a development studio with DBP would be sweet

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 16:04
Quote: "The problem with selling DBPro products is the fact that the games don't run on all that many computers. I can't even run DBPro stuff on my computer, and it's been upgraded several times."

I think the only way would be to have the minmum spec very high. You would proberly have to aim for at least 800mhz otherwise it's impossible to say if the game will run or not.

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Mines an 1800+!
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 10:20
yes but isnt that why on the sides of the boxes it says
Min spec>.........
DirectX>........