Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Well my alienware entry was banished to hell. Why must everything that I touch DIE?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 02:40
As of 2 weeks ago I have completly stopped work on my alienware entry. It sucked. I didn't like it. And constant problems kept putting my hopes down. Yes my 2 friends that I been working with are mad but they weren't the ones who had to deal with coding. Anyway the point of my childish babbling is to say I am taking a break from game development.

For almost 3 years I wanted to be a coder. Bah. Life is full of hopeless dreams. I suck at coding. I suck especially at math. And I have no idea how the rest of you machines do it. I always found it extremly hard and always will. I am taking up 3D modelling & animation. Yes it might not be as immpresive or rewarding as coding but thats what I want my carrer to be now. I'm getting a 3ds max book for Christmas and I'm buckling down for the holidays. The point of this thread is making games is hard and I'm going on a vacation. (Well not litirely) I'll come back to it later. I am much more ineterested in graphics.

Right now my main dedication is my website...as long as it's not coding I'm okay. I couldn't get anything done anyway because of this stupidly addicting forum. Bah.

Try to have a merry Christmas everyone, I know I will.
And feel free to flame me.

Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like a nasty rut you've found yourself in. Have you been coding long? Sometimes, things just don't translate well for some people. For some people, they are better at art than thay are at math simply because of a dominate right-hemisphere of their brain. Meanwhile, others are so good at mathematical logic, yet cringe at their meager attempts of poetry, etc.

I sure hope you find you're graphic projects successful. However, I still wouldn't count you out of the coding scene. You have to be patient and not try to tackle massive stuff from the beginning. I've been coding off and on for years, and still am not an expert - of course that's just me; everyone's different.

Once again, when you fall, don't stay - get up and start again. You're not dead yet, and neither are your opportunities. Merry Christmas...

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 03:38
You are going what I went through. Too many dropped projects of mine, I took a break. Now I am doing fine and learning new languages nad getting job offers (Seriously!!)

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 03:52 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 03:53
NO MEGATON!! NOOOOO!! Ill miss ya buddy You can always use that touch of death on your enemies remember

Come back soon...

RPGamer

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 03:59
Quote: "Now I am doing fine and learning new languages nad getting job offers (Seriously!!)
"

Who is it this time? Did Nintendo fire you or something?

@Northern_Fist: I don't think it will be so easy...I just wasen't put on this planet to code...and I am absolutly horrible at math. I have no chance watsover to compete with any serious coding...3d art is the much better way for me. And I can sketch. Um. Sorta. I have just always loved the *graphical* art of game development then the coding one.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 04:02
lol, no, its a local consulting firm

I am mischeivious
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 04:05
i thought you werer 12.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 04:13
I am

I am mischeivious
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 04:38
I kinda know this feeling. I don't find coding hard really. Was always good at maths, and started messing around with GW Basic (DOS 3.1!!!!!!!!) maybe 10 years ago ... perhaps more. Also did an A level in computing, and part of a software engineering degree. But, I know exactly how you feel.

My problem comes from the fact I find it so god damn boring though. I'm impatient, and I want results fast, and I never get any games done because the only person I can rely on is myself. So I have to do all the modelling (which I suck at) myself, all the planning and design (which I insist has to be detailed), and all the coding. Now, for me the coding is easy in terms of I can get my head around it (unless it's complex stuff like 3D physics etc), but I lose patience and quit because every time I finish a bit of coding, I have to break and spend a day making a model, then go back and do a bit of coding, then break and do another model, all while trying to tie it into my plan.

I just find making games (unless they're really simple like tetris, or a pong game, or are just lacking somewhere (simple levels, crap models, really simple gameplay)) too much of a long haul. Ideally I want to know 2,3 or 4 people who have the same level of proficiency as myself, so we can make games together, at leisure. Everyone has their own skill, and everyone is technically knowledgable in the whole process (e.g. everyone knows about optimisation and efficiency). I think game making can be fun if each member of a team doesnt have too much laid at their door.

I want to:
Design a lot (concept art, plot lines, flow of game, character development)
Manage (if its needed)
Do some coding.
Do sound effects and music.

I do not want to:
Model
Animate
Do any kind of level creation (although I can design them)
Make 2D textures

It's not that I dont like modelling and animating. I just know that I'm no good at it, and I dont have the patience for it. Therefore, when I'm coding a game with crap models I've made, it doesnt make me feel all that motivated.

But anyways, I kinda know how you feel, but from a different perspective. I love the idea of making games, but I hate the actuality of it. I find it boring and laborious to do it on my own. What I really really want to do is have a game complete enough so I can make sound fx and write music (which is my favourite bit) to put the icing on the cake. If someone could let me run wild with their finished game and have free reign over the audio, I'd be in my element.

But my team requests dont really work. Chatting to people to suss them out doesnt get my anywhere and trying to get in on other peoples projects seems pointless because they often crash and burn. So I need help too Megaton. I'm sharing your game making pain.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 04:46
You just described me in one paragraph Fallout

Quote: "My problem comes from the fact I find it so god damn boring though. I'm impatient, and I want results fast, and I never get any games done because the only person I can rely on is myself. So I have to do all the modelling (which I suck at) myself, all the planning and design (which I insist has to be detailed), and all the coding. Now, for me the coding is easy in terms of I can get my head around it (unless it's complex stuff like 3D physics etc), but I lose patience and quit because every time I finish a bit of coding, I have to break and spend a day making a model, then go back and do a bit of coding, then break and do another model, all while trying to tie it into my plan."

That's the exact same thing that happens to me, I have to waste a heap of time on modelling and it ends up being really crap because well, I simply suck at modelling. And of course, the team requests get us no where.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 05:03
I noticed a littel problem on your website:
"Subject: Sky Cars
Date: 15.12.2003"

There arent 15 months in a year.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 05:12 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 06:27
This thread is very very interesting...(except matts comments, those are just plain silly )

MEGATON:
I can tell you from experience that WE ALL HAVE THOSE DAYS, AND THOSE FEELINGS---"...Screw it! I Give up! I can't do this, it sucks!..." I code for a living and there have been times I was so fed up with a particular problem that I got up and walked out! It happens. I do agree that some are meant to code, others not. We all need to find our calling in life. If you find 3d modelling more rewarding and more natural for you to handle then by all means GO FOR IT! NEVER feel that you are sucked in to one aspect of game development, NEVER. There are too many talents that are needed to produce a game that it is just plain silly: code, 2d art, 3d art, gui, music, sound, production, DESIGN, etc etc etc etc. FEAR NOT, all you have to do is find what you like best and strive towards that! I think many people want to write code because they feel that "they are the ones making the thing happen" when in reality coding is just one tiny aspect of game making - or even apps-making to be honest! DESIGN is where it's at, imho.

NEVER TRASH YOUR DREAMS, just alter them to fit your talents!!!!

JAM!

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 05:55
Well said.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 06:25
Quote: "I noticed a littel problem on your website:
Date: 15.12.2003""

That's the day first I believe. In the U.S, we're the backwards ones.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Hahahaha, megaton, you're the man. If i ever meet you in person I'll give you a high five.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 06:30
yes we are backwards in the US

we say mm/dd/yy which makes no sense, where the rest of the world says dd/mm/yy which makes perfect sense...

days are smaller than months/months are smaller than years/ hence..

day/month/year....1/2/3

Unfortunately we were raised in this stupidity so we do month/day/year--not logical

oh well.

-RUST-

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
we also use the english system, ironically enough. i mean we broke away from england, lets stop using a their former system, and start using our own system. or the metric system, hey there's an idea.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 08:16
it's like that saying 24/7/365. as in 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

okay I get 24 hours in a day. Good starting point. So now our units is day(s)....

7 DAYS a week. good,good, now we're talking in weeks.

365?

no!

it should be 52, dammit! it makes logical sense!!! it should be 24/7/52!!!!! 52 WEEKS in a year. if you want to talk about days, it should just be 24/365!!!

I think I'm the only one on the planet that is actually bothered by that.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 08:40
what if your mind was blown....

24/7/365.25 ?

its why we have a leap-year every 4 years... (.25*4)=1

ponder
Jam

-RUST-

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 14:46 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2003 14:49
Quote: "NO MEGATON!! NOOOOO!! Ill miss ya buddy You can always use that touch of death on your enemies remember "

no rpgamer, you got me wrong, I'm not leaving!! But thanks. Good to know somebody cares (I'll still be on the forums, just not programming)

@Fallout: I never knew there may be others like me, but I just found one.
To me making games is a long and frustrating process. There are just WAY to many asspects you have to think about. Like movement, A.I, Levels, Events and all those little small details that may take a lifetime to accomplish. Maybe it's just me but I cannot handle that anymore. When open up an existing project and see the LONG junk of complicated commands, varaibles, and different angles I feel like crawling into a hole to die. Maybe I am right, perhaps it is just me.

@CattleRustler: Hey! I know EXACTLY what you mean! Thats the reason 99.9% of all projects get dumped. You know me? I have been ATTEMPTING coding for about 2 years. Have been using DB for just over 1 year. And what do I have to show for it? Absolutly nothing. An empty website and a empty desire to break into the games industry with no skill whatsoever. I take what you say to heart, but I just can't go back after all this time. And to think I was going to try to learn C++. Trying is the first step towards failure. And I know I will. So I am better to do something I have always enjoyed but never seriously considered doing. "NEVER TRASH YOUR DREAMS, just alter them to fit your talents!!!!" - I'll do just that.

Thanks everyone for hearing out my ranting. I hoped I haden't worn you out to the point that you can't code But it has helped me alot. And now on to the *silly* issues.

Quote: "I noticed a littel problem on your website:
Date: 15.12.2003"

yes...that is how the U.S do it. Blame Dreamweaver. Canada does it too I suppose. But then again we always do what they do. Personally I don't mean to insult anyone here but I think the U.S's metric system is a load of pointless confusion. When the rest of the world is on cm, m, and km, they are on inches, feet and miles. I have always been more on the European side (started as calling soccer, football) so I'm more used to the other one. But the Europe 24 hour system is confusing...I'll just but out as I don't mess with stuff I don't understand.

Although I been told the U.S is out to get us (Canada) first by not letting us trade cattle in NAFTA because they think they have mad cow. Then we sign a treaty and out Prime minister states the U.S will not have our water. But they take it anyway. And now they are telling us to get rid of our free health care system...well thats what my Geography teacher told me. Anyway I'm off to do some actual work for once so see you guys around!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 15:20
Exeat

Glad someone else is on the same wavelength, it's just a shame you weren't on the same wavelength with totally opposite skills. Then we could've helped each other out.

Megaton

Get into your max book, dig deep, become a ninja modeller, and then you'll be in demand.

As for dats, dates should be in this format:

Time/Day

Where Time = "Bedtime, breakfast time, lunchtime or dinner time"
And Day = "Work day or day off"

Everything else is irrelevant!

But for married couples, there should be some additions:

Extra Times = "Love time"
Extra Days = "Time of the Month, Anniversary"

So today, my calendar shall read:

"Lunchtime, Day off!"

woooohoooo!

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 15:24
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 16:18
On dates...

The best system is the ISO system...

yyyy-mm-dd

It's the only way to record data chronologically in one field, without reference to a second date.

So (unfortunately) the Latin-Europeans are right for once.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 17:17
Quote: " no rpgamer, you got me wrong, I'm not leaving!! But thanks. Good to know somebody cares (I'll still be on the forums, just not programming)"

Phew! [/me wipes brow] thats good! Remember, the ED team always needs graphics artists

RPGamer

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 17:34
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 17:40
Oh dear....
Megaton really is slipping: the majority of that post was smilies.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 17:46

yes...this what some newbies do to increase their post count...
(Not that I care how high my post count is)
But I do it for fun. When people don't use smilies we end up with grouches like arrow and the coding area.

peace

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 17:48

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 18:54
Quote: "(I'll still be on the forums, just not programming)"

Sounds like me

I am mischeivious
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 19:00
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 19:03
lol

I am mischeivious
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2003 23:20
you may be the same in that instance but not in the folowing:
Quote: "(Not that I care how high my post count is)"

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 00:53
Quote: "you may be the same in that instance but not in the folowing:
"

What do you mean?

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 01:27
Sorry, i stink at wording things. It was a poor excuse for a joke because mattman posts silly things to get his postcount up. I have to learn to think before i post

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 02:01
ehh...
Mattman...hey look he changed his name again! >_<

Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 02:10
Quote: "...Why must everything that I touch DIE?"

Why does that make me think you would make a lousy gardener?

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 02:15
lol

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 05:38
Who's a Grouch?

I've lost 25lb playing Dance Dance Revolution, no really!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 09:37
Quote: "Glad someone else is on the same wavelength, it's just a shame you weren't on the same wavelength with totally opposite skills. Then we could've helped each other out. "

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing lol. Oh well.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 14:42
Quote: "Who's a Grouch?
"

this guy arrow...hangs around the DB forums and whines and complains about every thread made. Perhaps you heard of him?

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 16:30 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2003 16:30
Ha ha, funny boy, I wish there was a 'finger' smilely right now.

I've lost 25lb playing Dance Dance Revolution, no really!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 16:57 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2003 16:58
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
i wish i could inflate my self and fly away like kirby...

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 23:11
Keep on topic people

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 23:22
I don't think there is a topic to this...
well anyway I got my bit out lets just let this thread sink.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 01:30
ok

I am mischeivious
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 02:52
You're only 12!?! Woah, you're a great coder at that age!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 03:03
not great, but a decent coder. I got an early start (Age 8)

I am mischeivious
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 03:16 Edited at: 24th Dec 2003 03:38
Quote: "You're only 12!?! Woah, you're a great coder at that age! "

What did he code that was so great?

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 03:50
I don't know. Most of my stuff is un-realeased.

I am mischeivious

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:28:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:28:25