Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / light help please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 21:16
Yeah I do understand that about an engine. I do know it has a very heavy .exe. I made a game in the 20 line challenge section of this forum took 3 days and the compiled exe was about 1 mb. Unreal would toss in everything it could would prolly be 100 mb equivalent. But I could spend the next few years learning shaders and writing shaders developing functions and libraries I never create a game or what can drag and drop all my models into unreal and have it programmed in about a week it's possible I have some trouble with doing things engine doesn't want to do but it's support C plus. If I can get some working Shadows there's no reason I can't do this and dark basic I would much rather do this in dark basic it's so easy and fun and you can get very creative with it
A child's dream never dies.

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 22:30 Edited at: 9th Aug 2018 22:35
Hi there
Quote: "I have a very deep love for dark basic but if I cant have shadows and lighting it's time to move to unreal"

As gamehazer said, you have to script a lot and is much moore difficult than Darkbasic pro.
What you propose in your game, is nothing special .As you may have seen, evolve has managed to do all that with his program .His program was created with Darkbasic .I've seen that in your example you use lightmapping and that you also want to cast shadows on the ground .To get shadows on the walls, you could do as the example I showed you above .As the "shadow shading" doesn't like too much boolean, I tried to do something like your level by chunks and it works, but for the floor you will need a different method like this example of noobnerd (29th Sep 2013) and update by janbo (22nd Nov 2013) .

Note . This example needs Advanced2D plugin
I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""PLUS, And this is the biggest reason, its not a coding program, its a game engine already uncapable to do so much you can code your self""

Please do a research before you comment something like this. UDK is a "coding program" in fact it is 10x more a "coding program" than DBpro. In UDK You can do what ever you want and then some. While in DBPro performance critical code must be written in c++. in UDK scripting is done in c++ directly.You can modify and extend the engine to fit your needs.

Quote: ""Like in dark basic I can code just about anything I want to happen on the screen, anything I can imagine ""

In DBPro you can't code :
- performance critical code
- something that requires recursive functions (or at least not without having a clean and readable code)
- extending it with 3rd party libraries (2d physics , 3d physics , etc) because you have to write code in c++ , then code a wrapper for it then compile a DBPro compatible DLL . which is 10x more time consuming than doing everything in c++ directly
- writing optimal shaders without modifying the whole DBPro Source.

Quote: ""but in unreal you can only do what they have implemented for there engine.""

And additionally you can extend , rewrite everything in c++ either on a high level convenient Component based programming model or you can go deeper by accessing the whole engine on graphics API level or even writing Assembler code. Let's see you do this in DBPro directly.

Unreal 4 has about 2 million registered game developers... so i don't think it's so bad as you described it...
BTW i'm not an Unreal user.I tried it few times and it was absolutely great but i was searching for something more lightweight and something it's free.
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=191567&b=5]Spark Particle engine[/href]
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199163&b=5]Transform gizmo plugin[/href]
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2018 10:54
@Hotline Hi mate !
I agree with you that UDK it is much more powerful than Dbpro , I have used before, but for people that just like making fun without knowing much about programming, I have to say that perhaps they sould start with something like Dbpro. I guess our friend gamehazer wanted to say something like that . Of course the Dbpro is somewhat limited for some things, but it is also true that we are in the Dbpro forum and that we also have the right to dream . Do not misunderstand me. This does not mean that I am arguing .

@smerf . As I promised ,I have been working at your level. As shadows shading command doesn't work properly with boolean objects, I had to make your level with boxes . You have to play with light range and other settings .
Here's the rar file
I'm not a grumpy grandpa

Attachments

Login to view attachments
gamehazer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Hotline

Research?, all you need to do is down load it and play with it to know the facts.

As I do agree it has real good graphics and also a ok set up you still have to know scripting and there scripting at that, I dont know why you are defending another game engine on a dark basic pro board but you have that right.

I know dark basic pro and also many many other so called engines and dark basic pro is very siple to use and learn and also like I stated before you CAN CODE ANYTHING graphicle you wish to.

And also I dont know why you would want to even use some ones elses game engine when you can write your own right from dark basic pro.

Even c sharp and c plus is a stand alone engine that relies on there own code work with recursive functions and you still have to learn how to write your own dlls.

In dark basic they did all the work for you, all we need to do is write the code.

I will say that I dont like that there is only dirrect x in the programing.

Well, that is my argument on the issue, we just see things diffrent is all.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2018 04:00
any luck with shadows gamehazer
A child's dream never dies.

gamehazer
Years of Service
User Offline
I never tested it, Im sorry, I guess I will download now and look at it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:34:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:34:04